Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Shows
mrsnj 06:52 AM 04-17-2013
Do you call if a child doesn't show?

I have one who normally always calls. I am supposed to go on a trip to the library today and trying to reach them as I am not sure if they are running late or not coming. Called her cell but no answer and then I remember her saying she lost her cell. They have no house phone otherwise. I called work and her messages are being redirected so assuming she isn't there? I texted another DCP who also works with her but she hasn't responded. Kinda actually worried. Not like her not to call. She now almost 3 hours late.

Should I call the grandmom or let it go??? I don't want to be a pest by calling around either.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 04-17-2013
I don't normally chase late parents around but if I knew a parent was totally out of the ordinary as far as behavior goes, I would absolutely call.

I guess I would feel better being safe than sorry...kwim?

If I had access to others who may know where she is, I would call.

If DCM is upset that you worried others, well so what....at least you cared.
clep 07:14 AM 04-17-2013
I send a text to see if they are coming if it is out of the norm for them to not be here at a certain time. I worry they may be in an accident or something.

I do not take the children off of my property without the parents knowing and signing paperwork like a field trip first, and knowing what time we are leaving and returning.

If they don't make it in time we leave without them, but that is the only time. Other than that we are in the back yard or the playground directly behind my back yard so parents can drop off anytime of day and pickup is the same.
mrsnj 07:27 AM 04-17-2013
I texted dad cause I didn't want to bother him at work (he works in contracting and is outside). He said he called and said the baby was sick. Mom doesn't have her phone so she couldn't call.

I thought I was going insane. I checked house phone, cell and texts. LOL! If I didn't have caller id I would be calling my dr for some memory meds cause no call came in to ME! Not sure who he called but it wasn't here. Either way at least everything is ok.

My mind wonders to accidents and all too. I get some who are always late. Whatever. I expect it. Norm for them. But this one always calls. Was weird for her not too.

Thanks!!

Play Care 07:33 AM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
I texted dad cause I didn't want to bother him at work (he works in contracting and is outside). He said he called and said the baby was sick. Mom doesn't have her phone so she couldn't call.

I thought I was going insane. I checked house phone, cell and texts. LOL! If I didn't have caller id I would be calling my dr for some memory meds cause no call came in to ME! Not sure who he called but it wasn't here. Either way at least everything is ok.

My mind wonders to accidents and all too. I get some who are always late. Whatever. I expect it. Norm for them. But this one always calls. Was weird for her not too.

Thanks!!

I'm so glad! I have called whe it's out of the norm, especially when an infant is concerned. Too many horror stories of babies being forgotten in the car for me not to!
Cradle2crayons 12:31 PM 04-17-2013
I would call too because my parents are required to text me when they are on the way here for drop off and pick up long story why lol...

Living as rural as I do, most of my parents drive at least 45 minutes through heavy traffic to work and right now with all of the construction in those already high traffic areas etc, I get worried too. If they normally drop off around 700 am and they aren't there by 730 I text them. If they are supposed to pick up at 545 and I haven't gotten that usual I'm on the way text by 545, I text them. That happens soooooo rarely though.
Country Kids 01:40 PM 04-17-2013
This is why I don't like parents just having a cell phone! Too many lose them, don't charge them, forget them, changes numbers like toilet paper usuage, can't hear them, etc.
allsmiles 01:45 PM 04-17-2013
i text them about 15 min after their normal arrival time.."should we expect john in daycare today"..
Willow 02:07 PM 04-17-2013
I don't ever have no shows. If a parent were to run later than 10-15 minutes with no call I'd be calling until I found out what the matter was. I'm a worrier and thankfully my parents understand and respect that lol

Fantastic example - kiddo yesterday had a blow out as mom was putting him in the car. She didn't want to drop him off with me in such a mess so she ran back in to change him and then let me know she was going to be about 10 minutes late. 10 minutes is nothing really, but it meant a lot to me that she respected me enough not to drop him off filthy, and was courteous enough to give me a heads up even though the extra effort made her late!

I would assume something was seriously wrong if I had a parent just not show up with no notice.

Glad everything was ok with your family OP!
Crystal 02:18 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I don't ever have no shows. If a parent were to run later than 10-15 minutes with no call I'd be calling until I found out what the matter was. I'm a worrier and thankfully my parents understand and respect that lol

Fantastic example - kiddo yesterday had a blow out as mom was putting him in the car. She didn't want to drop him off with me in such a mess so she ran back in to change him and then let me know she was going to be about 10 minutes late. 10 minutes is nothing really, but it meant a lot to me that she respected me enough not to drop him off filthy, and was courteous enough to give me a heads up even though the extra effort made her late!

I would assume something was seriously wrong if I had a parent just not show up with no notice.

Glad everything was ok with your family OP!
Same here.
AmyKidsCo 06:28 PM 04-17-2013
In WI we have to call if a child is late, to make sure they weren't left in the back seat of a car somewhere.
Willow 05:02 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
In WI we have to call if a child is late, to make sure they weren't left in the back seat of a car somewhere.
That's fantastic!

And a great excuse for those who struggle with picking up the phone to verify attendance! Doit enough times I'm sure a habitually tardy family will sort out that they need to communicate better, and if they don't I'd be having them hit the bricks!
Play Care 05:47 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I knew this was a reg in some states but couldn't remember which ones. I think it's a great idea. I would have a hard time if an infant in my care died because Dad was bringing the child to DC instead of mom and "forgot" the child in the car
When a simple phone call could have prevented it.

Originally Posted by :
And a great excuse for those who struggle with picking up the phone to verify attendance! Do it enough times I'm sure a habitually tardy family will sort out that they need to communicate better, and if they don't I'd be having them hit the bricks!

I'd probably have a written policy that three times and you're out.
Tags:no show
Reply Up