Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids In The Kitchen?
coolconfidentme 03:54 AM 05-20-2013
I have a 10 & 11 yr old summer kids & was wondering if I should let them help prepare meals. I let my kids at this age.., to teach them how to cook. All my other DCKs are under 4 & one 6 yr old. Thoughts?
BumbleBee 04:07 AM 05-20-2013
I would. I have the 2 nine year olds in the kitchen with me all the time. Their parents ok'd it (I made a little "permission slip" to sign).

I have them cut up fruit (once they've shown me they can handle a knife properly), spread butter/jam/etc on bread, put sandwiches together, use a can opener if necessary, wash fruit/veggies, measure, etc.

Things I don't have them do: cook on the stove, use the oven, drain hot water, cut hard veggies, peel with a knife.

I even let the 4 yo cut soft fruit with a butter knife. The 3 yo is almost ready for the privaledge.
Jewels 05:08 AM 05-20-2013
I have a 2yo and 4 yo with me in the kitchen all the time, they love to watch everything I do, I don't let them next to the stove if its on, and I keep the knives out of their reach if they are there, the 4yo, loves to stir anything that needs stirring, and loves to sneak bites, and sweet potato skins, and if I'm carrying anything hot, they have to leave the kitchen first, I don't see anything wrong with children in the kitchen.
DaisyMamma 06:54 AM 05-20-2013
I would. It will keep them busy and kind of give you some help
mema 09:50 AM 05-20-2013
Definitely! Will keep them occupied, if even for a little bit. My kids love cooking and baking and they are willing to try more since they made it!
itlw8 09:59 AM 05-20-2013
Yes there are also some great kids cookbooks and one of the directions is have an adult put it in the oven.

by that age I was using the stove without supervision and so did my boys. The summer I was 10 I must have made a lemon cake every week... Never did they say lemon cake again???? nope they ate it and bought me another cake mix. Heck at 11 Boy Scouts are cooking over a fire.
Sugar Magnolia 10:05 AM 05-20-2013
Yes! And help plan the menu! (within reason of course)
nothingwithoutjoy 10:26 AM 05-20-2013
I have an 8-year-old who comes here on school vacations and snow days. This year, I've been handing her a cookbook at nap time, and asking her to make snack. Usually a batch of muffins. I set out the ingredients she'll need, and measuring cups and spoons, and let her do it on her own. All I do is put them in the oven. She does great with it. (I've had her since she was 2 1/2, so I knew she could handle it.) I've also asked her to make playdoh, and even asked her to triple the recipe, which she did without any trouble. I've also had her do it with a 7-year-old assistant. Keeps them busy while the others nap and frees me up to do something else!
melilley 11:07 AM 05-20-2013
I let my kids help me in the kitchen. My kids are 32 months and under, but the 2 that are the older of the bunch have helped me. They stir stuff and put toppings on or add ingredients to recipes. The younger children also "help" me by wearing oven gloves and they even "stir" their own stuff in bowls (I just give them an empty bowl or one with a little bit of stuff in it) at the table and they really think they are helping! I don't let them near the oven of course, but they love it when they "help"!
wdmmom 11:17 AM 05-20-2013
If it's away from the direct source of heat, I would consider letting them help. Maybe they can help cut fruit (with a butter knife, of course), butter bread, mix things, pour drinks, etc.
preschoolteacher 01:02 PM 05-20-2013
Yes, do! 10 and 11 year olds are certainly able to learn to use kitchen stuff safely. When I was that age, I was making my own pancakes and scrambled eggs in the morning by myself. There is no reason why kids that age shouldn't learn how to cook in a safe and supervised setting. Then hopefully they won't end up as college students who only know how to microwave Lean Cuisine! (I knew plenty of people like this when I was in college!)
preschoolteacher 01:03 PM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
If it's away from the direct source of heat, I would consider letting them help. Maybe they can help cut fruit (with a butter knife, of course), butter bread, mix things, pour drinks, etc.
These kids should be able to use more than a butter knife. I'd kind of be insulted if I was 11 and only permitted to chop fruit with a butter knife... I have 3 year olds doing that same activity safely!
Reply Up