Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Outside Time
Lorna 05:07 AM 08-03-2013
My daycare kids get up from nap at 3:00. I change diapers and give them a snack and we are outside by shortly 4 or shortly after. Kids start getting picked up around that time. Last one leaves at about 5:15. How do you handle a child that poops during the outside time. All my kids are under 2. Here you can have 5 kids plus you own kids. One day last week I have 4 kids are we were outside. A new kid pooped about 10 minutes before he was suppose to be picked up. And not that far into the time outside. So to do his diaper. Everyone would have to go in the house. The father made a comment when he picked him up. I just said oh he must have just did that. We have only been outside for a few minutes. I probably should have said. Since I knew you would be here shortly to pick him up I didn't make all the other kids go in so I could do the diaper.
daycarediva 05:24 AM 08-03-2013
In summer I have an assistant, so I have her watch the kids and go change the poopy offender.

During the school year, I would have to bring everyone inside.
Angelsj 05:36 AM 08-03-2013
Could you just take some diapers, wipes and towel/changing pad travel size out with you? A quick "outside bag" could have the stuff you need for an emergency change.

I have changed many a baby on a towel outside, though it technically doesn't follow the rules. Sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do.
Lorna 06:41 AM 08-03-2013
With the ages of the kids I don't think I could. With 5 kids under 2 it would not be safe to start doing a diaper outside. And this kid is terrible with changing poopy diapers. Tries putting his hands in poop. I think I am just going to let the parent do it when they pick him up. We go out at 4 or shortly after. The dad picked him up at around 4:30.
jokalima 07:32 AM 08-03-2013
My humble opinion is that it won't look good for your DC to have parents pick up kids with poopy diapers. I really like to have them with nice clean diapers when parents come. I have 2-yrs old a 4 yr old and a 5yr old plus a 2 month old, I carry a bag with a blanket, wipes, diapers in it just in case I have to change diapers outside. I have changed the 2 month old once outside and it wasn't that bad.
Lyss 07:39 AM 08-03-2013
There's no way I'd let a child sit in a dirty diaper or make the parents do it. I'm sure I'd lose families if I left the kid in a dirty diaper til they came because they'd assume thats what I'm doing all day and he's not getting the care her requires.

Can you change up your scheduled maybe? Go outside right after nap that way your back in by 415 and can change him? Personally I'd just bring everyone in or change him outside on the changing pad.
Jewels 07:52 AM 08-03-2013
I bring diapers, wipes and a towel outside and hand sanitizer, again, not really following the regs, but its only for an emergency poop, and so I don't have to bring everyone inside, I would never let them stay in it, the other day I was changing my 9 month old on a towel outside when his parents showed up, I have a feeling they are happy I plan outside poops, instead of leaving him in it, its really no different changing them outside, I mean unless your changing table has hand straps on it, which would be really bad, you do it the same way you do inside. You can even make it good for regulations, by bringing a non absobant changing mat, bottle of bleach, and paper towels........I only have 2 kids out of 12 in diapers, so I just use a towel, and throw it in the laundry, I've never had them both poop while outisde.
Familycare71 10:47 AM 08-03-2013
I agree with PP... I would bring things outside to change him. The only time my dck go home not smelling sweet is if they are currently
In process-
blandino 10:51 AM 08-03-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
I bring diapers, wipes and a towel outside and hand sanitizer, again, not really following the regs, but its only for an emergency poop, and so I don't have to bring everyone inside, I would never let them stay in it, the other day I was changing my 9 month old on a towel outside when his parents showed up, I have a feeling they are happy I plan outside poops, instead of leaving him in it, its really no different changing them outside, I mean unless your changing table has hand straps on it, which would be really bad, you do it the same way you do inside. You can even make it good for regulations, by bringing a non absobant changing mat, bottle of bleach, and paper towels........I only have 2 kids out of 12 in diapers, so I just use a towel, and throw it in the laundry, I've never had them both poop while outisde.
I do this. I have a small picnic table, the oldest one I have, with a small changing pad on top. It stays in our little storage building. I keep 2-3 diapers for each child and box of wipes, and grocery bags. And then I sanitize my hands when needed. It's not exactly per regulations, but I would pay good money to see my licensor bring 12 kids in and out every time someone needed a change.
Reply Up