Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Have a Question About My Own Daughter
cara041083 09:09 AM 02-27-2014
My baby is 8 weeks old. She was breaking out from our laundry soap. We would wash her stuff in the dreft, but from us holding her, she would break out. So we switched to the all free and clear and seems to be doing better. Well I gave her a bath last night, and now she is broke out again. I am guessing from the baby lotion? or the baby soap? I used Johnson for both. Can anyone give me ideas of stuff I could try to use that would be good for her but not have alot of perfume and dye in it? None of my kids have been this way. thanks
NeedaVaca 09:23 AM 02-27-2014
Take a look at this website-great stuff. If it's too much maybe try looking for products at a natural food store or a Whole Foods, they will carry brands that are more natural and non toxic.

http://www.avaandersonnontoxic.com/
CraftyMom 10:05 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
My baby is 8 weeks old. She was breaking out from our laundry soap. We would wash her stuff in the dreft, but from us holding her, she would break out. So we switched to the all free and clear and seems to be doing better. Well I gave her a bath last night, and now she is broke out again. I am guessing from the baby lotion? or the baby soap? I used Johnson for both. Can anyone give me ideas of stuff I could try to use that would be good for her but not have alot of perfume and dye in it? None of my kids have been this way. thanks
My kids are all sensitive, break out in a rash from certain things and 2 have eczema.

EVERYTHING free of dyes and perfumes.

Everything in our house is washed in dye free/perfume free detergent, not just the kids' clothes but ours as well and blankets and sheets, everything. No fabric softener since it leaves a residue.

As for bath time, we generally don't use much soap. We let them splash away then a quick wipe down with soap on a wash cloth, and then be sure to thoroughly rinse the soap off with clean water before getting out of the tub. No bubble bath! And no washing up first and playing in soapy water.

We use Aveeno baby soap, free of dyes and perfumes.

No lotion that has any perfume in it, no Johnson's. Mostly we use Aveeno eczema cream.

Also, no perfume or cologne for mom and dad, as well as no body lotions either.

It was a big adjustment but became routine.
daycarediva 10:08 AM 02-27-2014
Yup, I would start eliminating everything with dye and perfume. I am SUPER sensitive, and I use nothing scented.
cara041083 11:25 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
My kids are all sensitive, break out in a rash from certain things and 2 have eczema.

EVERYTHING free of dyes and perfumes.

Everything in our house is washed in dye free/perfume free detergent, not just the kids' clothes but ours as well and blankets and sheets, everything. No fabric softener since it leaves a residue.

As for bath time, we generally don't use much soap. We let them splash away then a quick wipe down with soap on a wash cloth, and then be sure to thoroughly rinse the soap off with clean water before getting out of the tub. No bubble bath! And no washing up first and playing in soapy water.

We use Aveeno baby soap, free of dyes and perfumes.

No lotion that has any perfume in it, no Johnson's. Mostly we use Aveeno eczema cream.

Also, no perfume or cologne for mom and dad, as well as no body lotions either.

It was a big adjustment but became routine.

We have been doing all of this except for the soap and lotion. Yes it is a HUGE change! Thanks for the brands that are good!
itlw8 11:29 AM 02-27-2014
remember you really do not need soap that often for baths , babies rarely get sweaty.When you do use it make it last so it is not in the bath water and rinse off with fresh water like a hand held shower if you can. plus lotion is usually not needed so avoid it. most kids can handle vasoline or some people use olive oil.
MCC 11:36 AM 02-27-2014
My DD is the same. The only soap products we have had success with is California baby. It is super expensive, but you only have to use a tiny bit and it gets the job done. We use their lotion and sun block as well, ever had any problems.
CraftyMom 11:37 AM 02-27-2014
One more product we like, Aquaphor. It's greasy like Vaseline but really keeps the moisture in if dry skin is an issue for you
NeedaVaca 11:51 AM 02-27-2014
Aveeno is a Johnson & Johnson product. I haven't kept up on the timetable of events but I do know they have harmful toxins and Johnson & Johnson planned to phase out the toxic ingredients by 2013-2015. I would look closely at the label.
mountainside13 11:56 AM 02-27-2014
I love Aveno eczema cream! We also use the Laundry ball!!! I love it!!! 365 loads for $40, it's perfect for sensitive skin because it doesn't use soap!
TwinKristi 01:15 PM 02-27-2014
We used Cetaphil for shampoo and body wash and Eucerine for lotion. My DS5 had horrible eczema as a baby!
DaisyMamma 01:44 PM 02-28-2014
www.luckyvitamin.com has a lot of organics. I would start there. Buy a lotion and a baby wash. Target also usually has a good selection of organics. YES to Carrots is good.
Reply Up