Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Happy Biter
Unregistered 02:56 PM 02-06-2015
I'm a regular member but logged out for privacy since I'm talking about a specific DCG. She is 18 months old, the happiest baby I've ever seen. She is always smiling and just a love. The last couple of weeks she has started to hug the other kids but she is a big girl and it pushes them over, then she goes in to try to kiss them and she bites them, and then I tell her no and she is smiling and is saying "muuahhh" like she is kissing. She's left a mark, but has never broken the skin and the mark tends to go away after a couple hours. I've been separating the kids from her as much as I can, even altering her naptime around the rest of the groups and hoping that it will subside. As the other child is crying I tell her ouch, that hurts, teeth are not for biting, I tell her- teeth are sharp, ouch, and she just looks at me and smiles. If I give her time out, she is smiling. She can follow simple directions, like bringing me specific toys, etc, but she just isn't understanding this. I've talked to the parents and they are at a loss too.

Any ideas how to get this happy biter to stop biting?
TheGoodLife 04:07 PM 02-06-2015
Don't allow the "kissing" either, from any of the children. I taught my kids that kissing is for family, and that it is nice to give high-fives to friends (that might eliminate the hugs that cause the falling that cause the kissing as well). Teach the daycare kids alternate/ more gentle ways to show affection like high fives or thumbs up, and tell them that hugs and kisses are not for daycare. Since she's not biting out of malice, if she's not kissing anymore, maybe that will put an end to the bites?
Controlled Chaos 06:52 PM 02-07-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Don't allow the "kissing" either, from any of the children. I taught my kids that kissing is for family, and that it is nice to give high-fives to friends (that might eliminate the hugs that cause the falling that cause the kissing as well). Teach the daycare kids alternate/ more gentle ways to show affection like high fives or thumbs up, and tell them that hugs and kisses are not for daycare. Since she's not biting out of malice, if she's not kissing anymore, maybe that will put an end to the bites?

Reply Up