Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby wearing
morgan24 05:24 AM 09-21-2015
Does anyone have experience with a baby who is worn at home most of the time? I have a 6 1/2 month old that is worn most of the time at home even for her naps. When she is here she can not entertain herself for more than 10 to 15 minutes on the floor. She had a really bad day last Friday and she was crying when dcm arrived and she made a comment about me not holding he and just letting her cry. I told that's what she does when I have other things or kids to take care of. That's when she told me she still wears her most of the time at home. I've only had her a month so I figured she was still adjusting. I do let her cry and it's quite a bit of the time she is here. She has her own space on the floor and the only other thing I use is a seat. I don't have a swing or excerisesaucer or anything else for my babies. Do you think she will get less needy as time goes on or not?
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Does anyone have experience with a baby who is worn at home most of the time? I have a 6 1/2 month old that is worn most of the time at home even for her naps. When she is here she can not entertain herself for more than 10 to 15 minutes on the floor. She had a really bad day last Friday and she was crying when dcm arrived and she made a comment about me not holding he and just letting her cry. I told that's what she does when I have other things or kids to take care of. That's when she told me she still wears her most of the time at home. I've only had her a month so I figured she was still adjusting. I do let her cry and it's quite a bit of the time she is here. She has her own space on the floor and the only other thing I use is a seat. I don't have a swing or excerisesaucer or anything else for my babies. Do you think she will get less needy as time goes on or not?
In "most" cases this will not get any better.

Baby is trained to be carried/held and worn at home. You aren't doing that so she is unhappy. It's expected.

It will be a LONG uphill battle to try and change her habits when mom does the opposite of what you do at daycare.

If you cannot replicate the care she receives at home, it will be a tough and stressful situation until the baby either outgrows the need to be worn or until you end up terming because of the amount of work it requires to care for a baby that is worn at home.

Mom needs to start teaching her child the tools/skills she needs to survive in child care. Wearing her 24/7 at home and expecting you to do the same is unrealistic in my opinion.

I will NOT even interview parents that practice certain parenting techniques (wearing their baby is #1) at home. It's just not practical for me/my program.
Leigh 06:51 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Baby is trained to be carried/held and worn at home. You aren't doing that so she is unhappy. It's expected.

It will be a LONG uphill battle to try and change her habits when mom does the opposite of what you do at daycare.

If you cannot replicate the care she receives at home, it will be a tough and stressful situation until the baby either outgrows the need to be worn or until you end up terming because of the amount of work it requires to care for a baby that is worn at home.

Mom needs to start teaching her child the tools/skills she needs to survive in child care. Wearing her 24/7 at home and expecting you to do the same is unrealistic in my opinion.

I will NOT even interview parents that practice certain parenting techniques (wearing their baby is #1) at home. It's just not practical for me/my program.

mommyneedsadayoff 06:53 AM 09-21-2015
I agree with Blackcat. If you are going to keep the baby, I would talk to mom about it and let her know that she is not doing her baby any favors by holding her all the time and then dropping her off in an environment that cannot do that for 9-10 hours a day. It is not fair tot he baby, so if you put it back on her, maybe she will get the hint. And if not, I would probably terminate, because I cannot stand to hear a little one crying all day...too stressful.
littletots 06:57 AM 09-21-2015
I once conferenced a DCM on either get a nanny, quite working to be sahm, or if she wanted to continue with me greatly reduce baby wearing. She admitted grandparents and her husband had hard time when babysitting, too. Appreciated my feedback and she stopped. I'm sure not all dcp are open to feedback. I was lucky.
spedmommy4 07:25 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
I once conferenced a DCM on either get a nanny, quite working to be sahm, or if she wanted to continue with me greatly reduce baby wearing. She admitted grandparents and her husband had hard time when babysitting, too. Appreciated my feedback and she stopped. I'm sure not all dcp are open to feedback. I was lucky.
This is perfect! I don't take infants but have had several situations where parents just don't understand why I can't replicate what they do at home.

Be very direct about what your infant care giving practices are. Discuss whether or not they will be a good match with dcm's philosophy of baby wearing. If not, dcm may need to find a nanny or a another program. Sometimes it's just not a good match . . .
Controlled Chaos 07:31 AM 09-21-2015
I wear babies in my care a bit. I slowly transition them to more and more floor time and less and less time being worn. I have found it to work fairly well. BUT if you don't want to wear babies, I would probably choose not work with families that wear their babies a lot. Its not fair to you or the baby.
morgan24 09:01 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is what I was thinking. I guess we'll have a talk about it. Thanks
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 09-21-2015
Originally Posted by morgan24:
This is what I was thinking. I guess we'll have a talk about it. Thanks
Here, this might help....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
Play Care 09:25 AM 09-21-2015
In my state anything that "contains" baby - and slings/wraps, etc are lumped in there, can only be used sparingly. Personally I would only sling a young infant (under 4 months) At almost 7 months old, baby should be spending the *majority* of the day on the floor - with provider, with toys, on tummy, maybe practicing sitting, rolling, etc.

I would address this with mom letting her know your policy and what you can do as the snide comments would drive me bonkers.
Reply Up