Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed Home vs. Not Licensed In MI
lilalou91 09:54 AM 05-16-2017
Hello, I want to start a daycare in my home, or just watch 4 to 6 children. It is not required I am licensed, but I'm trying to figure out the benefits of being licensed or not. I know I can be, but there is a LOT of paperwork and testing/appointments, is there any specific reason I should get licensed? Charge more? Tax reasons?

Thanks
lovemykidstoo 10:17 AM 05-16-2017
I live in the state of Michigan and this is off the government website. See the link, it's the 2nd paragraph.

"Note: It is illegal in the State of Michigan to care for unrelated children in your home without being licensed or registered by the Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs."

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,...2366--,00.html
Blackcat31 10:32 AM 05-16-2017
Michigan must have some sort of allowance for unlincensed providers....they have an entire application for it.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...5_501512_7.pdf

On page 3 it says:

"5.) I must not care for more than four (4) children at the same time, unless all children are siblings, sibling groups, or living at the same address. The maximum number of siblings or children living at the same address in my care
may not exceed six (6) at any one time.

6.) I must not care for more than two (2) children under the age of 12 months at the same time"

lilalou91 10:40 AM 05-16-2017
well, shoot! I must have read it wrong. I wonder if I can start with 2 children without being licensed? And if I want to watch more, begin the licensing process. I guess I should just go ahead and get licensed, haha. thanks guys!
lovemykidstoo 10:40 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Michigan must have some sort of allowance for unlincensed providers....they have an entire application for it.

On page 3 it says:

"5.) I must not care for more than four (4) children at the same time, unless all children are siblings, sibling groups, or living at the same address. The maximum number of siblings or children living at the same address in my care

6.) I must not care for more than two (2) children under the age of 12 months at the same time"
Yes, I do believe that there is a stipulation on under 4 children and I thought there was some sort of total hours that you could even do that. There is relative care too that has certain restrictions and you don't have to be licensed too, but if she's looking to watch 4 to 6 unrelated children, you have to be licensed.
lovemykidstoo 10:45 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by lilalou91:
well, shoot! I must have read it wrong. I wonder if I can start with 2 children without being licensed? And if I want to watch more, begin the licensing process. I guess I should just go ahead and get licensed, haha. thanks guys!
I know a couple of people that live here that don't get licensed. It's not as if they knock on your door, but I wouldn't just because I have liability insurance for my daycare and you have to be licensed to do that. You can call your local DHS office and ask them the particulars.
Ariana 11:49 AM 05-16-2017
It really depends on your business and what you want from it. I am in Canada but it is similar. Licensing is great if you want to have more kids and hire people, a safety measure for parents, you can accept subsidized families and they help with equipment, advertising and training.

I am currently unlicensed and so far for me there is no benefit to being licensed. I can take care of 5 kids, excluding my own, and no more than 2 under two. If I were to get licensed I would have to pay a fee, sometimes up to $4000 and it would be harder to do my job. Right now
I only want a few kids so it works better for me. Most of the home daycares around my area are unlicensed so I am not in competition with licensed care. I still have to follow rules and regulations set forth by the ministry.
morgan24 12:27 PM 05-16-2017

On page 3 it says:

This is the description of an unlicensed provider in MI. it would be nice to be able to be unlicensed if you only had 4.

Unlicensed Child Care Providers are adults, age 18 or older, who are enrolled to provide child care for up to four children at a time (or six children, if all children are siblings, sibling groups, or living at the same address). Unlicensed providers can provide care in their own home or the child's home if they are related by blood, marriage or adoption as a:
Grandparent/Great-grandparent
Aunt/Great aunt
Uncle/Great uncle
Sibling
Unlicensed Child Care Providers who are not related to the child can only provide care in the child's home. You must meet requirements and apply to become an unlicensed provider in order to receive assistance payments for a child that you care for. Go to the Unlicensed Provider Application to begin the process.
lovemykidstoo 12:47 PM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by morgan24:
This is the description of an unlicensed provider in MI. it would be nice to be able to be unlicensed if you only had 4.

Unlicensed Child Care Providers are adults, age 18 or older, who are enrolled to provide child care for up to four children at a time (or six children, if all children are siblings, sibling groups, or living at the same address). Unlicensed providers can provide care in their own home or the child's home if they are related by blood, marriage or adoption as a:
Aunt/Great aunt
Uncle/Great uncle
Sibling
Unlicensed Child Care Providers who are not related to the child can only provide care in the child's home. You must meet requirements and apply to become an unlicensed provider in order to receive assistance payments for a child that you care for. Go to the Unlicensed Provider Application to begin the process.

I was trying to read this when working today and didn't have time to read it all. I thought maybe for a sec that things had changed since I got licensed, but you're right. This is just for relative care.
284878 05:20 AM 05-17-2017

On page 3 it says:

That is for unlicensed day care, aka a nanny. Unlicensed Dc can only be done in the child's home not yours. This allows a nanny to be able to receive state pay. A class is required.

Gov. Granholm made a loop hole for a mother that was not charging for bus stop care. She changed the law so that a person could watch kids in there home for up to Six weeks or six hundred dollars, which ever comes first with out breaking the law. If caught you can get 90 days in jail and fined.

Currently family home DC is registered and group home DC is licensed. This is confusing to some as they think registered means unlicense. The new law is all DC will be licensed come this fall.
284878 05:31 AM 05-17-2017
Originally Posted by morgan24:

Aunt/Great aunt
Uncle/Great uncle
Sibling
This. I was unlicensed for many years before I opened, to the public, because they were all kin. I even got paid state pay back in the carbon copy days before you had to register and take classes.
Tags:home child care, licensed, michigan
Reply Up