Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 and 3 Year Olds Arguing
MsLaura529 09:10 AM 02-27-2014
How do you handle 2 and 3 years old arguing?

It seems that all I have been doing lately is trying to stop the constant fighting between these kiddos. Half the time, I can't even figure out what they are arguing over, as they just end up in whining tears mumbling about something.

A lot of it goes like this:
DCK1: "I'm three"
DCK2: "No you're not, you're two"
DCK1: "No, I'm three. I had a birthday. Remember?"
DCK2: "Nope. You're just two"
And then the tears and whining battle begins ...

I try to remind them to use their nice words. That if you are saying something that you know is correct, but your friend doesn't agree, then just talk about something else. Sometimes we don't all have to agree on the same things. Blah blah blah. I'm at my wit's end. I actually just told them they weren't allowed to talk to each other during lunch right now anymore as I had to end ANOTHER argument over what the shape of the cloud they saw outside looked like (by the way, there ARE NO CLOUDS IN THE SKY!!!!) I'm dying here ...
Luna 09:25 AM 02-27-2014
Honestly, I'd just try to separate them or change the subject quickly and send them on a different track when it starts.
"You're 3?!?! I remember when you were 2! I used to be 2 too, then I had a birthday and I turned 3! I kept growing and then I learned to drive and I bought a car. What kind of car do you like?"
I find trying to reason with a two-year-old is like trying to reason with a dog. They look at you like they get it but they just aren't capable of understanding logic yet.
Laurel 09:41 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Luna:
Honestly, I'd just try to separate them or change the subject quickly and send them on a different track when it starts.
"You're 3?!?! I remember when you were 2! I used to be 2 too, then I had a birthday and I turned 3! I kept growing and then I learned to drive and I bought a car. What kind of car do you like?"
I find trying to reason with a two-year-old is like trying to reason with a dog. They look at you like they get it but they just aren't capable of understanding logic yet.

Here it goes like this:

DCB: My mama.
DCG: My daddy.

Repeat over and over each getting angrier...

Meaning my mama is better than your daddy. No, my daddy is better than your mama.

Laurel
spud912 02:01 PM 02-27-2014
Yep...I hear it often. Usually it's the "yes" "no" "yes" "no" arguments, but sometimes they argue about nonsensical things. For example: "the sky is blue" "no it's not" "yes it is" "no it's not" and on and on and on. Many times I will just say "ok that's enough" and change the subject. I don't think it bothers them half as much as it annoys me . If they keep going back to it, I will separate. If I can't separate (like during a meal), I will get the instigator down from the table or we will play "the quiet game" to see who can be quietest the longest. Or a staring contest usually works too.
Reply Up