Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Chair For Giant Infant?
LittleScholars 09:16 AM 09-21-2017
My own giant 8 month old has outgrown everything, but isn't ready for nothing. If I was a better mom I would go totally container free, but there are a few moments each day I need to know he is safely tucked away in something (e.g., when I'm in the bathroom, cooking on the stove). He is too big for a rocker, broke a spring on his jumperoo, and on the list goes. He spends 97% of his day on the floor and he DOES NOT like to play in a pack n play (and he sleeps so well in one I hate to ruin a good thing). He does like his high chairs, but he gets frustrated if he can't be near the kids and he has ants in his pants all day.

There may simply be no magical contraption for a kid this size and this age, but I figured if there is one you would all know. Making lunch today was super hard. In an ideal world I'd find a jumper with a 35 lb weight limit or something of the sort.
Kajada 09:26 AM 09-21-2017
You said he's too big for a rocker, but would something like this work? My son is also a bit of giant and this kept him contained when I really needed him to stay put for a few minutes. Mine is an older model of that rocker and has a 45lbs limit. I took off the bar with toys and gave him a book or something. It's still a pretty populair rocker/chair in my house.
daycarediva 09:28 AM 09-21-2017
Does he fit in a bumbo chair? Can you get a play yard/expandable gate to separate him some but allow him to play near the kids?
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 09-21-2017
Could you try something like this?

Looks busy enough to keep him entertained and easy enough to store so you aren't tempted to over use it and cause boredom for him...
LittleScholars 10:22 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by Kajada:
You said he's too big for a rocker, but would something like this work? My son is also a bit of giant and this kept him contained when I really needed him to stay put for a few minutes. Mine is an older model of that rocker and has a 45lbs limit. I took off the bar with toys and gave him a book or something. It's still a pretty populair rocker/chair in my house.
YES. You have saved me. Thank you!!!
LittleScholars 10:24 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Does he fit in a bumbo chair? Can you get a play yard/expandable gate to separate him some but allow him to play near the kids?
I should try one!! I heard chunky baby legs don't always fit, but I could grab one off of a local mom swap. Great idea!! I have a play yard set up that he rarely goes in, but doesn't mind it at all.
LittleScholars 10:25 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Looks busy enough to keep him entertained and easy enough to store so you aren't tempted to over use it and cause boredom for him...
This is SO cool! He still isn't quite crawling (he's doing this sort of scoot and throw himself forward thing), but he trying so hard to pull up and stand. He might LOVE this for that purpose, as well.

You guys are the best.
storybookending 10:28 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
YES. You have saved me. Thank you!!!
8 months seems a little old for the rocker posted. Is he mobile at all? Children (at least here) are not allowed to be in those if they can sit independently.

Do you have an exersaucer? I sometimes still put my 14 month old in it when he's getting into things he shouldn't be when I'm cleaning or cooking. The 3 year olds call it "baby jail".

Here is an example.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-E...&wl13=&veh=sem
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:49 AM 09-21-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:

Do you have an exersaucer? I sometimes still put my 14 month old in it when he's getting into things he shouldn't be when I'm cleaning or cooking. The 3 year olds call it "baby jail".

Here is an example.

This is what I use as well for those times... They are easy to move to from room too.
LittleScholars 10:50 AM 09-21-2017
8 months seems a little old for the rocker posted. Is he mobile at all? Children (at least here) are not allowed to be in those if they can sit independently.

Here is an example.

I should have mentioned I'm also looking for non-daycare hours, so I think the rocker is going to allow me to shower again.

I bought my mom an exersaucer I'm going to steal back. The only problem is I think he is going to quickly outgrow it. It has a 30 lb weight limit, but we've already heard the plastic cracking under him. I don't know if my guy is just super hard on things or if the max weights are a little overstated.

And so everyone doesn't think I'm a terrible provider, I don't take infants other than my own!
Kajada 10:52 AM 09-21-2017

Here is an example.

It's an infant-to-toddler rocker, so 8 months is fine. The one pictured has a weight limit of 40 pounds. The Amazon listing has a picture of a kid much older than 8 months using it. I have 3 and 4 year-olds in my care who use mine as a reading chair (not quite the same rocker, but very similar). In my province, we can use a rocker or chair like, with straps, to contain younger children for a short time when absolutely necessary, and older kids can use it without the straps whenever, as long as they're under the weight limit. It's only a lap restraint though, not chest/shoulder, so yeah, check your regulations.
storybookending 11:02 AM 09-21-2017
It's an infant-to-toddler rocker, so 8 months is fine. The one pictured has a weight limit of 40 pounds. The Amazon listing has a picture of a kid much older than 8 months using it. I have 3 and 4 year-olds in my care who use mine as a reading chair (not quite the same rocker, but very similar). In my province, we can use a rocker or chair like, with straps, to contain younger children for a short time when absolutely necessary, and older kids can use it without the straps whenever, as long as they're under the weight limit. It's only a lap restraint though, not chest/shoulder, so yeah, check your regulations.
Yeah this is why the center I was at had to get rid of ours. It was also an infant to toddler rocker but if I child could sit up on their own in it it just looked unsafe. If it had shoulder belts it would've been fine but just the lap belt and a sitting child not wanting to be in it can almost tip it. Buckles were not allowed to be used after the child could sit up themselves for this reason. It either needed to be used by I child that could not sit unassisted or an older child without buckles only.
rosieteddy 01:09 PM 09-21-2017
You could also try equipment for special needs.Sometimes they have chairs or walkers for bigger children.Whatever the reason that might be handy.
284878 06:10 AM 09-22-2017
I have a similar rocker for toddlers to sit in to look at books. It was gifted to me so no accessories.

This is what I would get. Keeps him safe from all the little feet could step or trip on him.

[
Blackcat31 06:14 AM 09-22-2017

I posted a pic but not the link to buy....in case you do want to purchase this or something similar here is the link https://www.amazon.com/Pavlovz-Toyz-.../dp/B003JFJ6I0
284878 06:20 AM 09-22-2017

Here is an example.

Exersaucer, wow they still make these? I thought they discounted these because they were inhabiting development.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 09-22-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
Exersaucer, wow they still make these? I thought they discounted these because they were inhabiting development.
Really? I've never heard of them being discontinued.... (I agree about the negative fallout from over use) but these things are everywhere...

I remember when they stopped making walkers because of the danger (wheels and all) and started making these exersaucers instead.

Personally I don't use any infant equipment at all but as a mom in this situation I get it...I'd be looking for something/anything to keep my little one entertained and happy when I can't do it for/with him.
Mom2Two 11:19 AM 09-22-2017
8The 3 year olds call it "baby jail".

284878 04:55 AM 09-23-2017
Really? I've never heard of them being discontinued.... (I agree about the negative fallout from over use) but these things are everywhere...

I remember when they stopped making walkers because of the danger (wheels and all) and started making these exersaucers instead.

Personally I don't use any infant equipment at all but as a mom in this situation I get it...I'd be looking for something/anything to keep my little one entertained and happy when I can't do it for/with him.
I seriously thought they were discountined, there were none in the stores when registered for baby's things when dd was born 5 years ago. I thought they were replaced with those jumproo things. Like this one https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/pro...hoCKl0QAvD_BwE

Plus I swear someone told me they were discountined.

I still never see them in stores a rarely see them at mom sales.
storybookending 10:40 AM 09-23-2017
I had never heard of exersaucers being discontinued, they are still in stock in stores here. I had heard about walkers being discontinued but again, there are still new versions of that coming out. I'm not sure if they are physically in stores and I haven't checked and don't use walkers but they are for sure online. My niece had one at home. She had this one.

https://www.target.com/p/baby-einste...04#lnk=sametab

There is a ton online still.
Meeko 09:25 AM 09-24-2017

I had this exact one a few years back. It worked well for some kids, not others. The panels slide together easily and so it doesn't take up much room when down.

The downside to it.... one little monkey used the holes to climb out. It also slid on carpet and he could "walk" it by banging his body on it. It would move an inch or two each time.

I guess it depends on whether you have Houdini in it!!!
LittleScholars 09:21 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
You could also try equipment for special needs.Sometimes they have chairs or walkers for bigger children.Whatever the reason that might be handy.
Great thinking!
LittleScholars 09:25 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I had this exact one a few years back. It worked well for some kids, not others. The panels slide together easily and so it doesn't take up much room when down.

The downside to it.... one little monkey used the holes to climb out. It also slid on carpet and he could "walk" it by banging his body on it. It would move an inch or two each time.

I guess it depends on whether you have Houdini in it!!!
Oh my goodness!! Good to know!!
jenboo 09:42 AM 09-25-2017
I had never heard of exersaucers being discontinued, they are still in stock in stores here. I had heard about walkers being discontinued but again, there are still new versions of that coming out. I'm not sure if they are physically in stores and I haven't checked and don't use walkers but they are for sure online. My niece had one at home. She had this one.

https://www.target.com/p/baby-einste...04#lnk=sametab

There is a ton online still.
Wal-Mart still sells walkers
Jupadia 09:47 AM 09-25-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:
I seriously thought they were discountined, there were none in the stores when registered for baby's things when dd was born 5 years ago. I thought they were replaced with those jumproo things. Like this one https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/m/pro...hoCKl0QAvD_BwE

Plus I swear someone told me they were discountined.

I still never see them in stores a rarely see them at mom sales.

I know in Canada that walkers are banned and you can not buy them any where they are ilegal to take across the boarder. (Cause they move around and kids pulled things down on them selves or went down stairs)

You can get the exerciser and jumparoos. With my youngest I got a jumparoo that folded so it was easy to take up and down the stairs.

But I don't use it with daycare kids cause I don't get them young enough to.
Tags:big baby
Reply Up