Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cut Lip Help
Pestle 06:23 AM 12-08-2017
Kid came bolting up the two steps from the playroom, slipped, and put an upper tooth through his lower lip from the outside. The gouge is narrow but deep. I don't think it goes all the way through, but there is an abrasion on the inside, too, so I'm not a hundred percent certain. The bleeding and crying stopped almost immediately.

I texted both parents and sent a photo and put in a Brightwheel note. They don't think they need to pick up unless he's inconsolable. I'm concerned with how deep the cut is and with his age--he's 18 months and I can't keep him from swiping at the lip.

What can I do to treat it here other than antibacterial ointment, since it's on a lip?

Should I just insist on pick up?
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 12-08-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Kid came bolting up the two steps from the playroom, slipped, and put an upper tooth through his lower lip from the outside. The gouge is narrow but deep. I don't think it goes all the way through, but there is an abrasion on the inside, too, so I'm not a hundred percent certain. The bleeding and crying stopped almost immediately.

I texted both parents and sent a photo and put in a Brightwheel note. They don't think they need to pick up unless he's inconsolable. I'm concerned with how deep the cut is and with his age--he's 18 months and I can't keep him from swiping at the lip.

What can I do to treat it here other than antibacterial ointment, since it's on a lip?

Should I just insist on pick up?
Ugh! Mouth injuries are tough! I did the exact same thing as a 1st grader...only my teeth went right through... I still have a pretty decent scar to prove it.

If he isn't bleeding or crying I'd leave him be. The mouth is a funny thing and saliva has a built in healing aspect so you'll be surprised at how quickly it will heal up. If he starts to bleed, I'd call for pick up but otherwise, there really isnt anything a Dr can do.

Being with the parent under their supervision is the only way to go if he starts bleeding or crying alot. Poor dude.
mabell 06:37 AM 12-08-2017
My daughter split her lip open this summer (13 months old.) She needed to get stitches though because of where the cut was at...it gaped open every time she smiled a little (they said that was the only reason she was getting them...if it could stay together naturally it would have healed on its own.)
We just had to keep it clean after eating and with a final clean before bed, applying antibacterial ointment 3 or 4 times a day afterwards. It healed pretty quickly!
Cat Herder 06:39 AM 12-08-2017
They don't think they need to pick up unless he's inconsolable.
Kid #3?

Do they generally dismiss his illnesses or are they on top of things?

That's tough to say without seeing it.
Pestle 06:42 AM 12-08-2017
Thanks so much, Blackcat!

The dad thought no pick up needed, but the mom is checking to see if she can get coverage at work to come pick up. He has cheered right up and is eating applesauce for morning snack and drinking his "bottle" from an open cup with a straw and fussing because I won't let him have crackers. The cut is like half a millimeter below his lower lip and I think chewing will work it open. It's just. . . it's deep, man!

Mostly, I'm worried about infection because it's so deep, it was from a tooth, and he won't stop swiping at it. I've cleaned his hands off and dabbed the lip with Polysporin, but he keeps sucking the lip into his mouth and keeps rubbing his fingers over it.

Would a doctor even do anything about it, or just say "watch it as it heals"?
Pestle 06:45 AM 12-08-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Kid #3?

Do they generally dismiss his illnesses or are they on top of things?

That's tough to say without seeing it.
Mom is a nurturing schoolteacher and dad is a physical therapist. He's a one-and-done but they're very grounded.
Blackcat31 06:49 AM 12-08-2017
Thanks so much, Blackcat!

The dad thought no pick up needed, but the mom is checking to see if she can get coverage at work to come pick up. He has cheered right up and is eating applesauce for morning snack and drinking his "bottle" from an open cup with a straw and fussing because I won't let him have crackers. The cut is like half a millimeter below his lower lip and I think chewing will work it open. It's just. . . it's deep, man!

Mostly, I'm worried about infection because it's so deep, it was from a tooth, and he won't stop swiping at it. I've cleaned his hands off and dabbed the lip with Polysporin, but he keeps sucking the lip into his mouth and keeps rubbing his fingers over it.

Would a doctor even do anything about it, or just say "watch it as it heals"?
I'd bet there isn't anything they (Dr etc) can do.

Maybe a stitch or two if it's deep but I don't know as that isn't always so easy either and can sometimes make a bigger scar than the injury itself.

Like CH said, it's tough to know without seeing it but if you sent parents a photo and they are checking to see what Dr thinks, I'd let them make the call.
Pestle 06:57 AM 12-08-2017

Thank you, all! The mom decided to come for pick up. It was bothering me that I didn't know the right solution, so it's good to know there isn't really one in this situation. I needed your affirmation that "This sucks; it probably doesn't need a doctor; it might could need a doctor."
jenboo 07:02 AM 12-08-2017
Glad mom picked up!
My niece put her teeth through her lip and the doc said there is nothing to do. It will heal on its own.
Cat Herder 07:14 AM 12-08-2017
Mom is a nurturing schoolteacher and dad is a physical therapist. He's a one-and-done but they're very grounded.
Then I would trust their judgement.

Awesome Mom came, anyway, though.
Pestle 07:16 AM 12-08-2017
The great irony? His "Camp Crystal Lake" thermal tee is now bloody. Mom says Dad will think that's awesome.
Blackcat31 08:03 AM 12-08-2017
The great irony? His "Camp Crystal Lake" thermal tee is now bloody. Mom says Dad will think that's awesome.

Cat Herder 08:11 AM 12-08-2017
Yeah, that is baby book material right there. Acrylic handprint and all.
amberrose3dg 08:59 AM 12-08-2017
That was my day Wednesday. 2 Year old decided to jump off the couch with a toy in hand and gave himself a black eye. I was changing a diaper when he did it. Mom freaked and took him to the ER for a bruise. He was completely fine and back the next day. I felt horrible but I have corrected him 100 times not to jump off the couch.
Reply Up