Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Plans For Easter In Your DC?
Josiegirl 02:38 AM 03-23-2018
Are you guys doing anything for or with your dcks such as parties or egg hunts? Special treats? I am so done with it all, my heart has not been in this since the fall. Not sure if it's just because it's been a long winter or state rules/regs. have taken all the fun away or I'm getting too old. I used to have the dcks make some type of basket and have an egg hunt, color eggs, stuff with candy, the whole 9 yards.
And here we are with Easter just a mere week away and I've got nothing. I feel the parents can do these things but why do I feel so guilty about dropping the ball?
mamamanda 03:57 AM 03-23-2018
Usually I do a fun Easter egg hunt during daycare hours for the kids, but not for the parents. I do fun Easter related activities as part of our curriculum the week before & sometimes have the kids help me make an Easter style snack for our last day before Easter. Cupcakes with a peep bunny on top or something of that sort.

That being said, this year my son is on spring break next week & I am taking a very much needed week off to do some fun day trips with him. So we will not be addressing Easter as a daycare.

I think if you're not feeling it just do a normal week. Parents can do the extra on their time. It's nice to do extra"special" stuff sometimes, but only if it is fun & special for you. If I wasn't into it myself I wouldn't do that. Parents can be responsible for it on their own time.
amberrose3dg 04:03 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Are you guys doing anything for or with your dcks such as parties or egg hunts? Special treats? I am so done with it all, my heart has not been in this since the fall. Not sure if it's just because it's been a long winter or state rules/regs. have taken all the fun away or I'm getting too old. I used to have the dcks make some type of basket and have an egg hunt, color eggs, stuff with candy, the whole 9 yards.
And here we are with Easter just a mere week away and I've got nothing. I feel the parents can do these things but why do I feel so guilty about dropping the ball?
I used to do egghunts and easter baskets. It has never been really appreciated. I also have 4 infants in care now as well and too young to do any of it. We are doing an easter craft and that is it. I am closed good Friday and all through the following week for my vacation.
Play Care 05:27 AM 03-23-2018
I don't really do much for Easter. Unlike Christmas which is also celebrated secularly, Easter for obvious reasons has more of a religious feel. I do get some plastic eggs and paper basket grass for the sensory bin, stick up some Easter/Spring window clings (chicks, eggs, flowers, not any religious symbols like a cross, etc) I may have some Easter themed arts and crafts in the free art bin, but that's their choice if they want to do that. No egg hunts or Easter baskets, etc.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't really do much for Easter. Unlike Christmas which is also celebrated secularly, Easter for obvious reasons has more of a religious feel. I do get some plastic eggs and paper basket grass for the sensory bin, stick up some Easter/Spring window clings (chicks, eggs, flowers, not any religious symbols like a cross, etc) I may have some Easter themed arts and crafts in the free art bin, but that's their choice if they want to do that. No egg hunts or Easter baskets, etc.
Plus it's a Sunday holiday... so not a work day.

I change out the art supply stuff and add some Bunny/chick/Spring stuff to the sensory bins, I add seasonal stuff to other areas of play as well and usually decorate a bit with some window clings etc but mostly Spring verses Easter related.
storybookending 07:30 AM 03-23-2018
Meh it’s a Sunday.. I also did nothing “special” for st patties day as it was a Saturday this year. Next week is spring break for the local school district. I took off Monday as I was only to have once family. Of the 4 days I am working one of my full timers is only coming Friday. One is coming Wed-Friday and only a half day on Wednesday. Her brother will be joining us as well. One is coming Tues-Thursday and an older sister is coming to hang out as well. Then my sib set is coming their normal Tues-Fri schedule so I feel like if I was going to do something special with my regular group I probably should have done it this week but the weather has been so nice we’ve been spending extra time outdoors as soon my yard will be a giant puddle of melted snow. Oh well. Parents can take their kids to an egg hunt if they want them to do one so bad. Not that I had any parents ask.
Pestle 08:14 AM 03-23-2018
I'm doing an egg hunt for my own kid, I'm spending Holy Saturday on an Easter party for a child I'm mentoring, I'm going to church at least twice, and the child is in the church children's choir so I need to make sure she's getting ferried everywhere she needs to go. I have no interest in Eastering my day care kids up. Besides, only one of them is from a religious family.

We did spring flower handprint art this week, so I consider that my hat-tip to the season.
Miss A 08:27 AM 03-23-2018
I put up a Easter Bunny and chick window clings, and this week and next our art is Easter themed (stamping with plastic Easter eggs, marble rolling with Easter eggs instead of marbles, painting cardstock bunnies with cotton balls on clothes pins, etc). Other than That? Nothing. I have 2 and under, they don't know/care, and will be spoiled by the Easter bunny at their own homes.
Ariana 09:19 AM 03-23-2018
We did painting today with cut up paper towel roll so they look like eggs on paper, I threw some shredded office paper I got off a neighbour in the water table, added fillable eggs and baskets and the kids enjoyed that! No treats or anything else like that....i figure they will get enough of that on their own time.
daycarediva 09:24 AM 03-23-2018
I am going all out. I pretty much always do. Sensory table, art, bulletin board, you name it.
Luvnmykidz 12:08 PM 03-23-2018
I have Easter and Spring arts and crafts the kids can do. We also do simple little projects that the kids can give as gifts ifnthey choose. I am also doing our 3rd Annual Egg Hunt this weekend open to Daycare families and friends. It’s a pretty big event and we always have a great time. There will be a tumble bus, arts and crafts, games, raffles and a huge egg hunt at the end. This year we have over 1400 eggs and everyone is excited and looking forward to tomorrow. Despite some of the problem families I’ve had recently this event is a great mood changer , I always look forward to this event and my current families as well as families that have aged out of my Program all enjoy the event. My own family helps with this event as well and it’s really fun. Some of the high school students and my oldest DD receive service learning hours for helping with the event, so they look forward to that as well. We do a big Winter Event as well sometimes it’s a Christmas party and the last one we did was a New Years Party. We also do a coat, blanket and Toys for tots drive during that time.
Unregistered 02:04 PM 03-24-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I used to do egghunts and easter baskets. It has never been really appreciated. I also have 4 infants in care now as well and too young to do any of it. We are doing an easter craft and that is it. I am closed good Friday and all through the following week for my vacation.
I used to go hog wild with holidays before having my own kids. Wish I had stopped earlier. Was not appreciated.
Unregistered 03:25 PM 03-24-2018
I go all out for Easter. It is my favorite holiday and , as a Christian, I delight in the story of our Savior. My parents are well awards of my faith, and many choose my program (I always have a steady waiting list) because of its Christ centered curriculum. We do w weeklong Easter series that ends on Good Friday with a special craft of the empty tomb. I don’t send home eggs, but I do always gift a storybook “The Easter Promise”
Miss A 07:02 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I used to go hog wild with holidays before having my own kids. Wish I had stopped earlier. Was not appreciated.
One of my friends who also does in-home DC is having this same regret. When her DC was small she was able to go all out at each holiday and each child's Bday. At the beginning she provided a gift for the BDay child but parents were asked to provide a treat to share if they wanted to celebrate. It slowly evolved into DCProvider having to not only present the child with a gift, but also making a special treat for the group because parents no longer provided them. She said it is no longer a special activity she enjoys, but actually resents because it is no longer appreciated by parents but expected.
flying_babyb 07:32 PM 03-26-2018
we did stamp pads with Easter eggs (ok and fingers) today. Thats probably as into it as were getting this week!
Unregistered 09:49 PM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
One of my friends who also does in-home DC is having this same regret. When her DC was small she was able to go all out at each holiday and each child's Bday. At the beginning she provided a gift for the BDay child but parents were asked to provide a treat to share if they wanted to celebrate. It slowly evolved into DCProvider having to not only present the child with a gift, but also making a special treat for the group because parents no longer provided them. She said it is no longer a special activity she enjoys, but actually resents because it is no longer appreciated by parents but expected.
Too true. One my neighbors, he's since passed, used to entertain at children's parties. When I started my daycare, he reached out to me to do events here (and parents would pay him). I said to him one day "You must be getting a lot of events". He said "No, I partner with other places, because people don't do birthdays at home anymore". We had a long conversation about how, as you said, people just expect it. It's also so parents have to spend less time with their kids.
BrynleeJean 01:43 PM 03-27-2018
LOL idk why you feel guilty! don't. i know I've already taken my kid to an egg hunt LAST weekend and there will probably be more this weekend and we've seen the easter bunny and all, he's got the sweets already so the commercial side of easter is covered!

I usually will read from an abeka bible study break down thing for the kids for the weeks leading up to easter, about palm sunday and riding into the city and stuff.
we will do ONE craft of painters tape in the shape of a cross on a canvas and they just paint all over and i take it off its real pretty in the pastel colors.
and we do several egg hunts like one every day after nap and snack, ill hide several eggs either around the house, to really get them searching, or outside to get their energy out
MAYBE cookies on good friday if I'm open or the day before IF I'm feeling nice
i don't send them home with anything because i just don't want to contribute to the clutter they'll already get from their own easter basket that sunday.
flying_babyb 06:15 PM 03-28-2018
now that the little nastys are on clearance: were making making peeps play dough!
HappyEverAfter 07:37 PM 03-28-2018
I made an Easter basket for each child, we will have an Easter themed craft and cupcakes.
hwichlaz 03:02 PM 03-30-2018
They made egg shakers and played pin the cotton tail on the rabbit.
Mom2Two 06:07 PM 03-30-2018
OH MY GOSH, I just realized that I did NOTHING for Easter. I'm serious, I forgot all about doing Easter-themed activities. I'm sitting here feeling like an idiot.

I'm going to have to do a post-Easter thingie on Monday and try to save face.
Josiegirl 03:17 AM 03-31-2018
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
OH MY GOSH, I just realized that I did NOTHING for Easter. I'm serious, I forgot all about doing Easter-themed activities. I'm sitting here feeling like an idiot.

I'm going to have to do a post-Easter thingie on Monday and try to save face.
Stop being so hard on yourself!!

Tags:easter, easter activities
Reply Up