Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Under Two Outgrowing Naps?
Unregistered 02:00 PM 03-22-2018
I have a 19 month old who has never been a good napper. I have had him since 3 months old. As a baby, he napped no more than 20-30 minutes twice a day. We dropped the morning nap about 6 months ago hoping for one good nap. He slowly started taking longer naps, but inconsistently. One day would be 2 hours, the next day 30 minutes. He has been very inconsistent ever since we switched to one nap. The last couple of weeks now, he has gone back to 30 minute naps. I always leave him in his pack n play for the full two hours, hoping that he recognizes that I don't come get him just because he is awake. That doesn't seem to matter.
DCM has always said he sleeps very well at night (12-13 hours!). She has said that he has been sleeping like this at night since he was a young infant. They put him to bed between 6-7pm and he sleeps until 6-7am every night. I do believe that he sleeps this much at night because they have the same issues with napping on the weekends. I have to believe that him sleeping so long at night is the reason he has never been a good napper.
Parents were on vacation last week and left him with grandparents. She said grandparents weren't putting him to bed until 8pm, so when they got home, he was really tired and he was sleeping up to 14 hour nights!
I have never had a child who slept so much overnight, that it affected naps to this degree.
Anyone had this young of a child outgrow naps, and if so, how did you deal with it?
hwichlaz 02:11 PM 03-22-2018
My oldest was like that. BUT, she still needed that quiet time mid day, even if she didn’t sleep. She was a mess if we skipped it.
Mom2Two 02:21 PM 03-22-2018
I've heard of it happening with another family's child...but I think it would be too hard for me to deal with in my daycare. To me this is an instance where the parents should have prepared their child better for daycare. And it's not too late--they can change it. I would require it for them to continue in care if it were me.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:24 PM 03-22-2018
You've just described my 15 month old dck. Sleeps about 30-45 minutes each afternoon despite being noticeably tired before and after nap. We've had on and off nap issues since I got her at 5 months. I leave her down for the entire naptime, but she never falls back alseep. Sleeps in her own room at home and sleeps through the night as well.
Country Kids 03:14 PM 03-22-2018
Sounds like they are getting the required amount of sleep they are needing because they are sleeping so much at night.

I don't see it as an issue though to term? Is the child causing issue's at nap, by not napping? Not much you can do if they are sleeping 12 hours at nap. So many providers talk about how children don't get enough sleep at night, so I would applaud these parents for actually putting their child to bed and the child sleeping.
mamamanda 05:10 PM 03-22-2018
According to sleep recommendations toddlers should be sleeping 12 hours at night & still taking a 1-2 hr nap in the day. My own children sleep 11-12 hours at night & still nap for an hour & a half in the day. My 6 yo no longer naps, but still sleeps 12 hours at night. I wouldn't think that a good night's rest would interfere with nap. However I do realize that all kids are different. How much time is there between waking up & nap time? I'm wondering if dck isn't tired enough for a nap yet?
jenboo 05:52 PM 03-22-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
According to sleep recommendations toddlers should be sleeping 12 hours at night & still taking a 1-2 hr nap in the day. My own children sleep 11-12 hours at night & still nap for an hour & a half in the day. My 6 yo no longer naps, but still sleeps 12 hours at night. I wouldn't think that a good night's rest would interfere with nap. However I do realize that all kids are different. How much time is there between waking up & nap time? I'm wondering if dck isn't tired enough for a nap yet?
this.

Ive also known some babies who just don't nap.

I would put the kiddo down for a nap and get them up when nap is over. I don't stress about how much a child sleeps as long as they aren't ruining nap for everyone else and i still get my break.
Play Care 06:07 AM 03-23-2018
My rule for all kids is that if they've outgrown quiet time, they've outgrown my care.
If the child can lay/stay quietly while others rest, we're good. If they are loud, getting off their mats, disrupting others, they have to go.
My own kids did drop napping right around 2 - 2 1/2 but they were getting enough sleep at night. They also still went to their rooms during QT so the other kids wouldn't see them up.
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 19 month old who has never been a good napper. I have had him since 3 months old. As a baby, he napped no more than 20-30 minutes twice a day. We dropped the morning nap about 6 months ago hoping for one good nap. He slowly started taking longer naps, but inconsistently. One day would be 2 hours, the next day 30 minutes. He has been very inconsistent ever since we switched to one nap. The last couple of weeks now, he has gone back to 30 minute naps. I always leave him in his pack n play for the full two hours, hoping that he recognizes that I don't come get him just because he is awake. That doesn't seem to matter.
DCM has always said he sleeps very well at night (12-13 hours!). She has said that he has been sleeping like this at night since he was a young infant. They put him to bed between 6-7pm and he sleeps until 6-7am every night. I do believe that he sleeps this much at night because they have the same issues with napping on the weekends. I have to believe that him sleeping so long at night is the reason he has never been a good napper.
Parents were on vacation last week and left him with grandparents. She said grandparents weren't putting him to bed until 8pm, so when they got home, he was really tired and he was sleeping up to 14 hour nights!
I have never had a child who slept so much overnight, that it affected naps to this degree.
Anyone had this young of a child outgrow naps, and if so, how did you deal with it?
I've had a child that stopped napping around 15 months but he was my own so I dealt with it as his parent.

As a provider I do not provide services to children that do not participate in afternoon rest time.

If this child could lay quietly and rest with out disturbing others I'd be fine with it but if his actions caused disruption to others, I'd have to have parents find alternate child care.

Kids that don't rest quietly simply do not fit into my program.
Unregistered 09:29 AM 03-23-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Sounds like they are getting the required amount of sleep they are needing because they are sleeping so much at night.

I don't see it as an issue though to term? Is the child causing issue's at nap, by not napping? Not much you can do if they are sleeping 12 hours at nap. So many providers talk about how children don't get enough sleep at night, so I would applaud these parents for actually putting their child to bed and the child sleeping.
I do agree that it is great that he is getting a good night's rest. However, this seems to be the opposite extreme. My thoughts are that if he is being put to bed at 6pm, he can't be getting much time with mom and dad during the week. By the time they get home, it's dinner, bath, bed. He probably IS tired by 6 because he is getting such a short nap every day. I just wonder if they pushed back bedtime, maybe he would get a decent nap here. Then they would be able to spend more awake time with him during the week.
Some days he just lays talking to himself after he wakes. Other days he is crying until nap time is over. Because of this, he needs his own room so as not to wake the others. I don't know that I will ever be able to transition him in to a room with others when he is not quiet once he is awake after 30 minutes.
Ariana 09:36 AM 03-23-2018
For me it is all about mood. If they are moody, whiney and in general not coping with life well then they are tired. If I put them down for a nap and they wakup crying after an hour or cry in their bed instead of napping or being content they are tired. A toddler who is not tired will be pleasant, lie in their bed quietly and is in general in a good mood and can tolerate lying down without a fuss.

I have only seen one child who dropped nap at 18 months. All of the other toddlers would sleep from 12-2pm and he would lie quietly on his bed for two hours. He did this until he left daycare at 4. He was never moody, highly intelligent and easygoing.
amberrose3dg 09:36 AM 03-23-2018
I do agree that it is great that he is getting a good night's rest. However, this seems to be the opposite extreme. My thoughts are that if he is being put to bed at 6pm, he can't be getting much time with mom and dad during the week. By the time they get home, it's dinner, bath, bed. He probably IS tired by 6 because he is getting such a short nap every day. I just wonder if they pushed back bedtime, maybe he would get a decent nap here. Then they would be able to spend more awake time with him during the week.
Some days he just lays talking to himself after he wakes. Other days he is crying until nap time is over. Because of this, he needs his own room so as not to wake the others. I don't know that I will ever be able to transition him in to a room with others when he is not quiet once he is awake after 30 minutes.
I think that too. I had an infant and two year old sibling that go to bed at 5! They were horrible nappers. They spent less than 2 hours with their parents a day.
Unregistered 11:35 AM 03-23-2018
Child wakes between 6-7 each morning. I put him down for nap at 1pm, so he is awake 6-7 hours before nap time. He lays awake talking/whining for an additional 30-45 minutes before falling asleep. So he is awake anywhere from 7-8 hours before falling asleep. Then only a 30 minute nap before waking from nap. Sometimes wakes up talking, other times wakes crying.
Play Care 12:14 PM 03-23-2018
Child wakes between 6-7 each morning. I put him down for nap at 1pm, so he is awake 6-7 hours before nap time. He lays awake talking/whining for an additional 30-45 minutes before falling asleep. So he is awake anywhere from 7-8 hours before falling asleep. Then only a 30 minute nap before waking from nap. Sometimes wakes up talking, other times wakes crying.
In that case, Buh-bye. I ain't got time.
CityGarden 12:58 PM 03-23-2018
According to sleep recommendations toddlers should be sleeping 12 hours at night & still taking a 1-2 hr nap in the day.
This is exactly what I was going to say. The parents seem to be giving the child what he needs at night and he should still need a rest mid-day.

My dd slept 12 hours at night and then 1-1.5 hours midday until pre-k.
kendallina 06:31 PM 03-23-2018
My DS sleeps at night similarly to this little one. He's 2. Whenever we lay him down after 1230/100, he doesn't nap. He lays in his crib, talking, sometimes whining, but mostly talking. When we lay him down by 1130/12, he falls asleep quickly and happily, no crying. Obviously, you cannot necessarily change your routine for him but I wonder if he's just overtired by 1:00?
Unregistered 01:52 PM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've had a child that stopped napping around 15 months but he was my own so I dealt with it as his parent.

As a provider I do not provide services to children that do not participate in afternoon rest time.

If this child could lay quietly and rest with out disturbing others I'd be fine with it but if his actions caused disruption to others, I'd have to have parents find alternate child care.

Kids that don't rest quietly simply do not fit into my program.
How long would you give a new child to show that they can participate in quiet time? How much effort would you put in if you had one refusing to stay quiet?
hwichlaz 02:13 PM 04-02-2018
How long would you give a new child to show that they can participate in quiet time? How much effort would you put in if you had one refusing to stay quiet?
I give them two weeks to show improvement, not perfection. I expect them to be fully adapted after a month....if they are full time.
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 04-02-2018
Depends on the situation and the child.

I've been doing this long enough that I can tell within the first 3 days whether a child is going to adjust to our rest routine or not. I can usually tell the first day but depending on the age of the child, it can vary.

I also think that if a child hasn't adjusted within the 2 week trial period, they more than likely aren't going to.

On that same note, I have extended my trial period for a child that I feel IS adjusting but is in need of additional time to do so.

Hope that helps.
Tags:2 year old, won't sleep
Reply Up