Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Holiday $$$$$
MissAnn 01:51 PM 03-24-2018
What are you doing this year with the kids for Easter?

Quite honestly I’m tired of the holidays that end up costing me megabucks!

I ordered a book about the risen Jesus… i’m happy to do that!

But the Easter bunny is on my last nerve. I have a few part-time kids so I feel like I need to have two Easter egg hunts so they will both be in on the fun. But on the other hand… Won’t the parents bring them on an Easter egg hunt? Why should I… Or we… Feel we should supply Easter eggs, the candy that goes inside and the basket? I have done this every year… But I’m beginning to wonder why.

Please....
What are you doing? When I was raising my kids every holiday was a simple holiday. They did not get a ton of Christmas gifts, they had one Easter egg hunt and we would give them one Easter egg basket basket with a little candy and maybe a rabbit. It seems like these days everything is so hyped up!

I just want to bring back this simple. My check book is suffering.
kendallina 02:17 PM 03-24-2018
I do an Easter egg hunt (and other activities) because it's fun and the kids love it. I don't feel providers should feel obligated to do it though.

I do agree that holidays are too much. For Valentines day I had kids that brought toys in for each child. Toys! Nobody needs more crap.

For Christmas I always have at least one child who asks if I'm getting them a Christmas present and I look them straight in the face and simply say, "No." They are usually shocked and I go on to tell them that they have enough toys, what I want for Christmas is to spend time with them like we always do.
Jupadia 02:23 PM 03-24-2018
I'll send home something small. This year it will be a little wind up chick (got on clearance last year), a four pack of chalk and a sheet of stickers. Costing about $3.50 each. I'll be doing a Easter hunt but they are doing what I call practice hunts with empty plastic eggs.
MissAnn 03:45 PM 03-24-2018
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
I'll send home something small. This year it will be a little wind up chick (got on clearance last year), a four pack of chalk and a sheet of stickers. Costing about $3.50 each. I'll be doing a Easter hunt but they are doing what I call practice hunts with empty plastic eggs.
I do the empty eggs some years too. We do them all week. They hide them then find them.
Josiegirl 03:55 PM 03-24-2018
Haha I posted a similar topic a few days ago. My problem is I am just not in the mood to do all this stuff anymore, and YES, the money part of it is killing me too. I had a good-sized dc party for Halloween(an Autumn fest type thing), invited everybody and a few former dcfs. Had fun. But it took a lot of work and $$$$ on my part. I'm so done with it all. Ever since then, I haven't felt like doing anything. I do crafts for holidays, bought them a book for Valentine's Day, gifts at Christmas. I thought about getting them each a book for Easter but then I thought, no. I just cannot do this anymore. We'll do some crafts this week and maybe have cupcakes or something on Friday.
I've been doing pretty good at staying out of Walmart and away from the Dollar Tree because my money flows freely in both those stores. My gift to them is going to be loving them the best I can and providing them all with a safe, fun, loving home away from home. Parents can buy them all the stuff they want.
MissAnn 06:35 PM 03-24-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Haha I posted a similar topic a few days ago. My problem is I am just not in the mood to do all this stuff anymore, and YES, the money part of it is killing me too. I had a good-sized dc party for Halloween(an Autumn fest type thing), invited everybody and a few former dcfs. Had fun. But it took a lot of work and $$$$ on my part. I'm so done with it all. Ever since then, I haven't felt like doing anything. I do crafts for holidays, bought them a book for Valentine's Day, gifts at Christmas. I thought about getting them each a book for Easter but then I thought, no. I just cannot do this anymore. We'll do some crafts this week and maybe have cupcakes or something on Friday.
I've been doing pretty good at staying out of Walmart and away from the Dollar Tree because my money flows freely in both those stores. My gift to them is going to be loving them the best I can and providing them all with a safe, fun, loving home away from home. Parents can buy them all the stuff they want.
Amen! Luckily out of the blue a parent called me today and asked if I minded if she makes treat bags for all the kids! Oh no problem at all!
284878 08:31 PM 03-24-2018
I do what I want and don't make a big deal with any holiday. Depending on the age group that I have for the holiday, I have done Valentines cards from DD to dck, melted crayons shaped hearts, a holiday themed craft with the dck, marraca Easter egg, a book that matched their Halloween costume (dcb was a skunk, so the book was about a skunk), or a $10ish gift for Christmas or Birthday from DD. Most of the time, the dck don't even see the item until pick up. I just treat the day like a regular day. (Most of my dck have been under three.) I am currently back to just infants again. I am doing nothing for them for Easter and I do not feel bad about it at all.

I do like the suggestion of a daily empty egg hunt. I might consider that when I have walkers again.
CalCare 02:16 AM 03-25-2018
Oh my goodness. I dont feel obligated to do anything for holidays for DCKs. I know the parents will do it, so maybe that's why. I don't give them anything for holidays or do holiday related parties or crafts. I guess I got my experience working with kids in a preschool environment where we didn't do any of that. We just always followed seasons and did lots of activities everyday like water play, painting, obstacle course, Play-Doh, making Play-Doh, cooking pancakes on an electric skillet, play in the sand box, ride trikes, all of these things happened and there was never any holiday theme. Except in fall, it was sort of Thanksgiving-ish when we did "stone soup" and everyone brought something to add and we decorated the paper table cloth and haf a big long row of tables pushed together and had a special lunch.

My mentors, those I learned from, never ever gave gifts to kids for any reason including holidays. Only gifts were when children had a bday, they could bring a book for the school, if they wanted- and they often did. There was no party for a birthday either and no one brought treats!

So now I do my childcare and I follow seasons and don't do holidays at all or gifts or parties. Well, one place I worked a long time ago, my best teacher friend and mentor was a Jehovah's witness. So I guess that influenced me as well. And I know very well that my families in my family childcare will def give their kids everything they need to celebrate any holiday! If I didn't think so, then I might feel pity and get gifts.

So, my long rambling point is, please don't feel obligated and spend your money on something you don't want to. It's really not necessary. I'm sure the families are doing all that's needed. One thing I always find interesting on here, is when people talk about how they did gifts or parties for holidays at one point but they stopped because "it wasn't appreciated". I have seen that in every holiday conversation. But I just don't understand that sentiment. What appreciation do they want? If a provider WANTS to do something for a child, they shouldn't expect anything in return, even appreciation. It might sound a little unorthodox to think that way. But why does a person OWE someone for having been gifted something completely without any request or need or desire? I, myself, do have the manners to say "thank you" even for something I never asked for or wanted. Not everyone does. But I just don't understand the gifter feeling bitter if the giftee didn't respond the way the gifter wanted/expected... I mean the whole situation was created by the gifter. Not the giftee.
Play Care 06:07 AM 03-25-2018
Wen I first started out I got a couple of families from a provider who was retiring. She had gone all out for every holiday and gave the kids gift baskets for every.single.one. They fully expected me to continue that way. But, I was a tired mom to young kids at the time, and had other dck's whose parents did not have the wherewithal to do gift bags every holiday. I was on another Forum at the time where one provider said that her center celebrated seasons rather than individual holidays and no gifts were given. As I've gotten older and have more time, I see the value of experiences over things.
This week we have paper Easter grass and plastic eggs in the sensory table, I have some spring themed sticker books, stamps, construction paper, etc that the kids can make things with if they choose. We may dye hardboiled eggs that we will then have later for snack. No bunnies, chocolates, baskets, egg hunts, etc. That is stuff for HOME, IMO.
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 03-25-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Oh my goodness. I dont feel obligated to do anything for holidays for DCKs. I know the parents will do it, so maybe that's why. I don't give them anything for holidays or do holiday related parties or crafts. I guess I got my experience working with kids in a preschool environment where we didn't do any of that. We just always followed seasons and did lots of activities everyday like water play, painting, obstacle course, Play-Doh, making Play-Doh, cooking pancakes on an electric skillet, play in the sand box, ride trikes, all of these things happened and there was never any holiday theme. Except in fall, it was sort of Thanksgiving-ish when we did "stone soup" and everyone brought something to add and we decorated the paper table cloth and haf a big long row of tables pushed together and had a special lunch.

My mentors, those I learned from, never ever gave gifts to kids for any reason including holidays. Only gifts were when children had a bday, they could bring a book for the school, if they wanted- and they often did. There was no party for a birthday either and no one brought treats!

So now I do my childcare and I follow seasons and don't do holidays at all or gifts or parties. Well, one place I worked a long time ago, my best teacher friend and mentor was a Jehovah's witness. So I guess that influenced me as well. And I know very well that my families in my family childcare will def give their kids everything they need to celebrate any holiday! If I didn't think so, then I might feel pity and get gifts.

So, my long rambling point is, please don't feel obligated and spend your money on something you don't want to. It's really not necessary. I'm sure the families are doing all that's needed. One thing I always find interesting on here, is when people talk about how they did gifts or parties for holidays at one point but they stopped because "it wasn't appreciated". I have seen that in every holiday conversation. But I just don't understand that sentiment. What appreciation do they want? If a provider WANTS to do something for a child, they shouldn't expect anything in return, even appreciation. It might sound a little unorthodox to think that way. But why does a person OWE someone for having been gifted something completely without any request or need or desire? I, myself, do have the manners to say "thank you" even for something I never asked for or wanted. Not everyone does. But I just don't understand the gifter feeling bitter if the giftee didn't respond the way the gifter wanted/expected... I mean the whole situation was created by the gifter. Not the giftee.

Baby Beluga 08:04 AM 03-25-2018
I give a Christmas gift to each child (always a book) as well as a Mother's Day and Father's day gift (made by the children) to the parents.

That's it.

I have themed curriculum and I do incorporate the holidays into that. I make themed learning trays, sensory tables, etc. But, I don't give gifts for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, etc. I agree with PP - that stuff is for home.

And TBH, as a parent I wish my child's teacher wouldn't gift stuff for holidays like that. It's too much. Too much candy, too much stuff and too much expectation on the child's part to get "rewards" for doing stuff that should already be expected of her.

Return your homework calendar on time? Get a trip to the treasure chest.

Answer a math problem correctly? Get a jelly bean.

Sit properly during circle? Get an Oreo.

The leprechaun came to the classroom? He left you with a candy filled hat one day and a candy treat bag the next.

Cupid came to the classroom? He left you with candy hearts, plastic crap...oh and you get a treat bag from your classmates too?

It results in too much stuff.
Snowmom 06:47 AM 03-26-2018
We are doing an egg hunt. My SA'ers filled the plastic eggs with stickers for me. They will hide them too. I don't lift a finger.

That's it.

For small holidays, the only thing I do, is make it a theme day.
For St. Patrick's day, it was "GREEN" day. They wear green and I *might* put some green food coloring in our pancakes or something.
Half the parents forget to have their child participate anyway, so I don't make it a big deal.

We decorate together (Christmas, Valentines. 4th of July, Halloween, etc) with the yearly decorations I already have. We *may* make a treat if I feel up to it.

I'm just not into the big to-do that other people do. I look at some of the crafts that other providers do and think OMG, that's exhausting, no way!
MissAnn 10:56 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I give a Christmas gift to each child (always a book) as well as a Mother's Day and Father's day gift (made by the children) to the parents.

That's it.

I have themed curriculum and I do incorporate the holidays into that. I make themed learning trays, sensory tables, etc. But, I don't give gifts for St. Patrick's Day, Easter, etc. I agree with PP - that stuff is for home.

And TBH, as a parent I wish my child's teacher wouldn't gift stuff for holidays like that. It's too much. Too much candy, too much stuff and too much expectation on the child's part to get "rewards" for doing stuff that should already be expected of her.

Return your homework calendar on time? Get a trip to the treasure chest.

Answer a math problem correctly? Get a jelly bean.

Sit properly during circle? Get an Oreo.

The leprechaun came to the classroom? He left you with a candy filled hat one day and a candy treat bag the next.

Cupid came to the classroom? He left you with candy hearts, plastic crap...oh and you get a treat bag from your classmates too?

It results in too much stuff.
Yes!!!!!!! A reward for everything! Well those rewRds are causing big dental bills. For me though.....these special days turn into a whole week. Too much. Give me a regular day any day!
MissAnn 10:57 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
We are doing an egg hunt. My SA'ers filled the plastic eggs with stickers for me. They will hide them too. I don't lift a finger.

That's it.

For small holidays, the only thing I do, is make it a theme day.
For St. Patrick's day, it was "GREEN" day. They wear green and I *might* put some green food coloring in our pancakes or something.
Half the parents forget to have their child participate anyway, so I don't make it a big deal.

We decorate together (Christmas, Valentines. 4th of July, Halloween, etc) with the yearly decorations I already have. We *may* make a treat if I feel up to it.

I'm just not into the big to-do that other people do. I look at some of the crafts that other providers do and think OMG, that's exhausting, no way!
LOL. I know you are serious, but you are funny. I totally agree. I get on Pinterest and hurt for the easiest thing.
AmyKidsCo 12:31 PM 03-26-2018
I close Good Friday & Easter Monday so I don't do anything.

If I were going to do something for the kids it'd be a little bag with bubbles, sidewalk chalk, easter stickers, etc - stuff from the Dollar store. I'm all about "consumable" gifts that can be used up instead of being tossed out.
CityGarden 02:05 PM 03-26-2018
I am closed Good Friday and all next week for Spring Break.... my program is not religious but we do follow the local school district calendar.

We are doing some teacher directed crafts this week (which is not our norm)

Dying Easter Eggs
Marble Painted Easter Bunnies
Painting Rocks

Also our yoga will be animal theme with more emphasis on bunnies and stories this week will focus on spring animals.

All the craft items and dyed eggs will go home with the child in a nice little bag or basket from the dollar store along with some bubbles because all of the dcks love bubbles!!!

Easter is a special holiday which in my home I adore but I find keeping our rhythm consistent with only minor changes actually does best for the dcks.
Sunchimes 08:01 PM 03-26-2018
We are doing practice hunts this year too. One of my kids went into great detail about how the eggs had candy, stickers, coins, etc. I just told her that was how it was done at home, but here, we had to practice hunting so that they would be ready for Easter. We will have a scavenger hunt on Friday. They will follow a bunny path around the house with clues leading to a small Easter basket for each of them. I just have 3, so it is no big deal. I didn't do the scavenger hunt last year, I saved all of the clues and rabbits from the previous year, so all I need is some masking tape to stick it up. The baskets have lots of plastic grass, and couple of pieces of chocolate, some bubbles left over from something or other, and a small Dollar Tree thing. I might make cookies if I feel like it. I can give them some goldfish on a different plate, and if I smile and laugh and sing Easter songs, they consider it a great party!!!
amberrose3dg 03:31 AM 03-27-2018
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
We are doing practice hunts this year too. One of my kids went into great detail about how the eggs had candy, stickers, coins, etc. I just told her that was how it was done at home, but here, we had to practice hunting so that they would be ready for Easter. We will have a scavenger hunt on Friday. They will follow a bunny path around the house with clues leading to a small Easter basket for each of them. I just have 3, so it is no big deal. I didn't do the scavenger hunt last year, I saved all of the clues and rabbits from the previous year, so all I need is some masking tape to stick it up. The baskets have lots of plastic grass, and couple of pieces of chocolate, some bubbles left over from something or other, and a small Dollar Tree thing. I might make cookies if I feel like it. I can give them some goldfish on a different plate, and if I smile and laugh and sing Easter songs, they consider it a great party!!!
I am also closed for good Friday and the following week. We are just doing an Easter craft and I decorated the daycare walls a little. I used to do egg hunts and baskets but it gets overwhelming and expensive! I give the kids gifts at Christmas. I do not feel we have to give gifts at every holiday.
Tags:easter - activities
Reply Up