Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Locking of Doors to Medicine/Cleaning Products Etc
lovemykidstoo 01:42 PM 03-28-2018
I'm replacing my door knobs in my house for all of my interior doors and also moving things around. I have my medicine and shampoo/cleaning products now in my linen closet in the bathroom. It's all on the top shelf, but I wonder since the doorknob locks, if that is sufficient. I also have one that locks on my basement door too and wondered if that was sufficient instead of putting one of those plastic grip things that the kids can't turn. To unlock the door you would have to have a coin or something similar to put into the lock and turn it. there is no way to do it with a finger or a fingernail.
Febby 03:05 AM 03-29-2018
You might to check with your regs, but I would think that would be fine. It would be here, anyway. I worked at a center that used locks on cabinet doors that could be opened with a piece of mulch (guess how I learned that) and state always considered those just fine, as long as the actual keys were out of reach. Not that anyone ever told state that they could opened with mulch, lol.
lovemykidstoo 05:33 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Febby:
You might to check with your regs, but I would think that would be fine. It would be here, anyway. I worked at a center that used locks on cabinet doors that could be opened with a piece of mulch (guess how I learned that) and state always considered those just fine, as long as the actual keys were out of reach. Not that anyone ever told state that they could opened with mulch, lol.
A piece of mulch? wow lol! My husband tried opening it with his fingernail and could't even get it to budge. I'm also looking at the magnet locks for the drawers. I like them because at the end of the day you can turn the switch so you don't have to have it toddler proof when the kids leave.

These are what I'm talking about. Does anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/REGIONALS-MAG...r%2Blocks&th=1
Blackcat31 05:51 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
A piece of mulch? wow lol! My husband tried opening it with his fingernail and could't even get it to budge. I'm also looking at the magnet locks for the drawers. I like them because at the end of the day you can turn the switch so you don't have to have it toddler proof when the kids leave.

These are what I'm talking about. Does anyone have these? https://www.amazon.com/REGIONALS-MAG...r%2Blocks&th=1
Not that brand but yes, I have magnetic locks for all my cupboard doors.

This is the brand I have. http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-192-cab...cessories.aspx

I've had them since I opened and have never had to replace. They work great!
lovemykidstoo 06:04 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not that brand but yes, I have magnetic locks for all my cupboard doors.

This is the brand I have. http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-192-cab...cessories.aspx

I've had them since I opened and have never had to replace. They work great!
Those look nice. I think I'm going to invest in the magnetic locks. I've always had the kind that you push down on and open the drawer/cabinet. The problem is, you have to do it all the time, meaning outside of daycare hours. These will be nice since I can disable them during non-daycare hours. Same as the door locks. This is a pic of the door lock. I have them on both bathroom doors, the basement door and the linen closet. I'm thinking that should pass don't you guys? I can hear licensing saying that well, if you forget to close the door or something like that. Well if I forget to close the cupboard and it doesn't lock, same thing right?
Attached: lock.jpg (19.9 KB) 
Jupadia 06:28 AM 03-29-2018
I have them in a package waiting for my husband to put up. I don't have My regs regarding anything but all my medicine are upstairs and cleaning stuff locked in laundry room. The kitchen out of reach but to be on safe side I got them.
lovemykidstoo 06:30 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
I have them in a package waiting for my husband to put up. I don't have My regs regarding anything but all my medicine are upstairs and cleaning stuff locked in laundry room. The kitchen out of reach but to be on safe side I got them.
so having stuff in the laundry room with the door locked works for you with regs?
Baby Beluga 07:21 AM 03-29-2018

I JUST ordered these yesterday. I will let you know how I like them once they are installed
Jupadia 08:17 AM 03-29-2018
so having stuff in the laundry room with the door locked works for you with regs?
Honesty in my province an Keeley unlinced care giver dose not have many regs. There are just ones that really cover ratios and ages.

I have all the products on a shelf in there that kids can't reach. The door is locked and kids can't get to the door. So I don't have any problems keeping them there from either my kids or the daycare ones.
lovemykidstoo 08:31 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
Honesty in my province an Keeley unlinced care giver dose not have many regs. There are just ones that really cover ratios and ages.

I have all the products on a shelf in there that kids can't reach. The door is locked and kids can't get to the door. So I don't have any problems keeping them there from either my kids or the daycare ones.
I'm thinking top shelf, locked door. Doesn't get better than that. I like that I can unlock it when it's not daycare hours. My own kids are 17 and 20
lovemykidstoo 08:32 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I JUST ordered these yesterday. I will let you know how I like them once they are installed
That's a great deal on them. I may order them too
Play Care 09:57 AM 03-29-2018
I LOVE my magnet locks. The best part is that they can be turned "off" when you don't need them. I've even had my tougher day care boy try to open them when locked, and he couldn't.

So much better than any other child proof locking device I've used.
Country Kids 10:21 AM 03-29-2018
I always wonder if the parents have all this stuff locked up? How do their children go into the bathroom at home if everything is out and unlocked?

Everything I have locked up, my daycare kids have never even remotely tried to get into in the almost 21 years I have been open. My own children didn't ever bother anything.

I have everything locked up but just makes me wonder how these children survive at home
sharlan 10:29 AM 03-29-2018
I LOVE my tot locks - magnetic locks.
lovemykidstoo 10:32 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I LOVE my magnet locks. The best part is that they can be turned "off" when you don't need them. I've even had my tougher day care boy try to open them when locked, and he couldn't.

So much better than any other child proof locking device I've used.
Where did you get yours?
lovemykidstoo 10:35 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I always wonder if the parents have all this stuff locked up? How do their children go into the bathroom at home if everything is out and unlocked?

Everything I have locked up, my daycare kids have never even remotely tried to get into in the almost 21 years I have been open. My own children didn't ever bother anything.

I have everything locked up but just makes me wonder how these children survive at home

Exactly! I could not agree more. I have not had the kids here try to get into anything. Parents ask me how I keep them out of my food cupboards. i said they just know they're not supposed to and they've just never tried. Same as my Christmas tree, the easter village that i have on a table right by my door that they walk by a hundred times a day etc. Not to mention the things that we have to have locked up. Example toothpaste. Because you routinely hear of kids ODing on toothpaste. ugh
lovemykidstoo 10:36 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I LOVE my tot locks - magnetic locks.
Where did you get yours?
Play Care 10:38 AM 03-29-2018
I think they were Tot locks? Ordered on Amazon.

Just to clarify, the dcb was asked to try to open the cabinets by me, he wasn't trying to get in when he wasn't supposed to. Also, I've never really had an issue with kids going into cabinets and getting into things because I teach them it's not a play spot.
morgan24 10:53 AM 03-29-2018
I'm replacing my door knobs in my house for all of my interior doors and also moving things around. I have my medicine and shampoo/cleaning products now in my linen closet in the bathroom. It's all on the top shelf, but I wonder since the doorknob locks, if that is sufficient. I also have one that locks on my basement door too and wondered if that was sufficient instead of putting one of those plastic grip things that the kids can't turn. To unlock the door you would have to have a coin or something similar to put into the lock and turn it. there is no way to do it with a finger or a fingernail.
Did your consultant tell you they needed to be in a locked cabinet? The technical manual only says that cleaning supplies must be secure and out of reach of children. Mine are all in a closet on a shelf that is out of reach. In my basement my laundry room and bathroom, my laundry supplies are on a high shelf. I’ve been inspected twice since using the basement and she has never said anything about where there are. In my upstairs bathroom all the cabinets the kids can reach have safety locks on them. I’m curious if our consultants are telling us something different
lovemykidstoo 11:06 AM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by morgan24:
Did your consultant tell you they needed to be in a locked cabinet? The technical manual only says that cleaning supplies must be secure and out of reach of children. Mine are all in a closet on a shelf that is out of reach. In my basement my laundry room and bathroom, my laundry supplies are on a high shelf. I’ve been inspected twice since using the basement and she has never said anything about where there are. In my upstairs bathroom all the cabinets the kids can reach have safety locks on them. I’m curious if our consultants are telling us something different
It's been 2 1/2 years since I was inspected and in this particular closet I didn't have them locked, just up high. So I guess you're right, but if I want to have them on lower shelves, then I guess I'd have to have it locked. I still wonder about the basement door though. Last time I had one of those plastic pieces that snaps together that fits loosely on the handle. An adult has to squeeze it to turn the door knob. The kids are not able to do that. I don't want to use that, I'd rather just lock the door. I'm assuming that's fine.
morgan24 11:20 AM 03-29-2018
It's been 2 1/2 years since I was inspected and in this particular closet I didn't have them locked, just up high. So I guess you're right, but if I want to have them on lower shelves, then I guess I'd have to have it locked. I still wonder about the basement door though. Last time I had one of those plastic pieces that snaps together that fits loosely on the handle. An adult has to squeeze it to turn the door knob. The kids are not able to do that. I don't want to use that, I'd rather just lock the door. I'm assuming that's fine.
I would think that’s fine too. I had the door going to the basement locked at my previous house but it was the kind you had to put a wire key into it to unlock.

I had a visit 2 years ago in May to add my basement added as licensed space. The stairs didn’t have a handrail on them. My consultant was training the consultant that was taking over his part of this area. They approved my basement. Then when I had to renew my license in December she came alone and gave me a violation for not having a hand rail on my stairs. I did ask her why they didn’t tell me that in May because I would of already had it done. She said they must of not noticed. I think they all interpret the rules different.
hwichlaz 12:04 PM 03-29-2018

Those don’t work well on wood surfaces...they go on with a sticky pad. They work great on my medicine cabinets though, which have plastic surfaces to adhere to. Safety First Tot locks are similar, but installed with screws. I recommend those for porous surfaces. It’s considered a key lock by licensing in California.
hwichlaz 12:05 PM 03-29-2018

My children use the magnetic keys to get the toothpaste out, use it, and then put the key back.
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 03-29-2018
just makes me wonder how these children survive at home
Most don't have to..... they spend most their waking hours at daycare and when they are home, they're too busy with screen time to even think about getting into something.
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
My children use the magnetic keys to get the toothpaste out, use it, and then put the key back.
Same here. We've had magnetic locks for almost 20 years and having to use the magnet "key" is just something you do without even thinking about it after a while.

I also have the option of "turning off" the locks but it's easier to just leave them locked.
lovemykidstoo 12:28 PM 03-29-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Most don't have to..... they spend most their waking hours at daycare and when they are home, they're too busy with screen time to even think about getting into something.
You are so right!
Tags:locks, magnetic locks, medication - storage, storage, storing cleaning fluids, storing medicationi, tot locks
Reply Up