Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing in the Fall
Unregistered 09:45 AM 04-18-2018
I am possibly closing in the fall to take an elementary teaching position. It's not final yet and I wasn't planning on telling my DCPs until June so that they might stick with me through the summer. One DCP was asking me about enrolling new kids in August - she has a friend with a kid who needs care. I told her I wasn't sure if I would be enrolling at that time and she asked why. I told her about the possibility of a teaching position. She was so sweet about it - excited for me, wished me luck, said they would definitely stay until the very last minute (they are very happy with the care their kids get here and are very vocal about that). I guess her husband wasn't as happy. He was mad and told another family about it because "they deserved to know".
Now I have to tell this second family the whole story as well and cross my fingers that they will stay with me through the summer. I should have just kept my mouth shut about it like I had planned, but I'm too nice to just pretend that I am looking for new kids.
How would you handle things with the upset dad and the second family? Can I just ignore the fact that he spilled the beans and not say anything until it's for sure? Or do I need to address it now since they are probably wondering what's going on?
BTW - I am a member but I can't seem to remember my username and password. My computer used to fill it in for me, but it wouldn't do it today.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 04-18-2018
You should have kept your mouth shut.

Lower ratios
Have families interested in spaces for fall already
Cutting back numbers in general
Not sure I want to enroll that age group

I hope it works out, and everyone stays!
Rockgirl 10:33 AM 04-18-2018
How ridiculous of dcd to be mad! Oh, that’s right. It will possibly inconvenience HIM.
Play Care 10:35 AM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
You should have kept your mouth shut.

Lower ratios
Have families interested in spaces for fall already
Cutting back numbers in general
Not sure I want to enroll that age group

I hope it works out, and everyone stays!
This.

I plan on closing before the Fall as well. I haven't said a word to my clients.
Unregistered 10:51 AM 04-18-2018
I would express my disappointment in his reaction, and let him know you planned to give ample notice to all families. I honestly would find it hard to work with someone who was angry at me over this, and possibly put my current lively hood at risk. If one family pulls will you need to close up early? Are you able to take on summer only kids, to cover if these families pull early?
Play Care 11:54 AM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I would express my disappointment in his reaction, and let him know you planned to give ample notice to all families. I honestly would find it hard to work with someone who was angry at me over this, and possibly put my current lively hood at risk. If one family pulls will you need to close up early? Are you able to take on summer only kids, to cover if these families pull early?
That said, I agree with this. Plans change, jobs change. Clients don't "deserve" anything other than contractually required notice, IMO. If that's a month or two weeks then that's what they agreed to. A head's up this early just means increasingly poor behavior because they know there's no real consequence.
Reply Up