Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Had To Term A Long Standing Family?
Unregistered 06:45 AM 04-17-2018
Guys, I am in year 3 of caring for kiddos from same family. I am considering ending this at the end of school (teachers) giving them the summer to make other arrangements. This family has been ok but come September I have better options that have come up as far as kids are concerned. Have any of you termed a long standing family. If so, how did it go and how did you do it?
amberrose3dg 07:37 AM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Guys, I am in year 3 of caring for kiddos from same family. I am considering ending this at the end of school (teachers) giving them the summer to make other arrangements. This family has been ok but come September I have better options that have come up as far as kids are concerned. Have any of you termed a long standing family. If so, how did it go and how did you do it?
It probably will not go well just a heads up. I have had a family that was long term and got too comfortable. There was some abuse on how they spoke to me and I ended things immediately. Just be prepared for the why's etc.. Simply tell them it is no longer a good fit. Do not give specifics.
Play Care 09:30 AM 04-17-2018
Yes. It didn't go well, but at the end of the day it was for the best. Because of that term, I now do terms in writing, outside of day care if possible (so mailing it a week or so after they leave for the summer...) I don't care if they have a tantrum, but it can be scary for other children in attendance.
I would just do a generic letter:
"Dear DCP's
As of x date, I will no longer be able to provide care for your family due to changes in my day care. I have enjoyed caring for Timmy and Susie, and I wish you all the best! Should you need assistance securing new care, the referral agency can be reached at 1800 NOT MY PROBLEM.

Sincerely,

Happy Provider"

Have a plan if they do call, and be a broken record with what ever it is you tell them. Admittedly I try to find something close to the truth - be it lowering numbers, reducing the age gaps, etc. I try to be sympathetic but professional. It tends to take the wind out of their sails when you don't sink to their level
Provider 11:22 AM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Yes. It didn't go well, but at the end of the day it was for the best. Because of that term, I now do terms in writing, outside of day care if possible (so mailing it a week or so after they leave for the summer...) I don't care if they have a tantrum, but it can be scary for other children in attendance.
I would just do a generic letter:
"Dear DCP's
As of x date, I will no longer be able to provide care for your family due to changes in my day care. I have enjoyed caring for Timmy and Susie, and I wish you all the best! Should you need assistance securing new care, the referral agency can be reached at 1800 NOT MY PROBLEM.

Sincerely,

Happy Provider"

Have a plan if they do call, and be a broken record with what ever it is you tell them. Admittedly I try to find something close to the truth - be it lowering numbers, reducing the age gaps, etc. I try to be sympathetic but professional. It tends to take the wind out of their sails when you don't sink to their level
I really wish I would have sent a letter for my first term!
happymom 11:34 AM 04-17-2018
It sucks.

It happened to me as a family. You can read more about it here:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77736

I learned later that she wanted me gone because she didn't want to transport my kids because I was "crazy when it came to carseats"

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise if you've followed my story. Our kids go to the same school but we are no longer on speaking terms.
Play Care 01:36 PM 04-17-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
It sucks.

It happened to me as a family. You can read more about it here:
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77736

I learned later that she wanted me gone because she didn't want to transport my kids because I was "crazy when it came to carseats"

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise if you've followed my story. Our kids go to the same school but we are no longer on speaking terms.
Did she wind up going to jail?
Silly Songs 07:36 PM 04-17-2018
Am I missing some of the story ? I just see that you left earlier than anticipated, nothing more.
happymom 09:57 AM 04-18-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Did she wind up going to jail?
No jail.

Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
Am I missing some of the story ? I just see that you left earlier than anticipated, nothing more.
Yes, there is more: about 6 months later I got a call from a daycare mom/friend whose kids were still with her. They caught her leaving the daycare kids in her home, unsupervised, very frequently.

No kids were hurt, but after asking our kids more questions it sounded like it was pretty common for her to take naps during the day. I'm pretty confident she transported my 3 year old without a child restraint on at least two occasions and also left him in the car unsupervised.

See? Blessing in disguise (it's funny how I said those words in my original post....way before I knew any of this stuff). I still have a very difficult time with this because I still remember the amazing provider I thought her to be. I miss her. My son misses her and her daughter so much.
MelissaP 03:52 AM 04-19-2018
Was it this lady?

http://katu.com/news/local/woman-fac...-go-to-the-gym

Melissa
Rockgirl 06:05 AM 04-19-2018
I don’t know your situation, and only you know what’s right for you and your daycare. I just wanted to throw it out there, though, that the grass isn’t always greener. If I had a long-term family who I didn’t have problems with, I’d hold onto them, vs replacing them with someone you have no experience with.

Again, that is just me personally—you have to do what’s right for you.
happymom 08:03 AM 04-19-2018
Originally Posted by MelissaP:
Was it this lady?

http://katu.com/news/local/woman-fac...-go-to-the-gym

Melissa
No, but pretty much the exact same situation. The parents set themselves up to catch her in the act (without the help of police). I don't believe any charges were ever filed. Her clients were refunded their deposits/for the time they did not use.
hwichlaz 04:23 PM 04-19-2018
I’d just tell them that you weren’t able to fill their spots for the summer with drops-ins..so you had to fill them permanently.
Play Care 05:36 AM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I don’t know your situation, and only you know what’s right for you and your daycare. I just wanted to throw it out there, though, that the grass isn’t always greener. If I had a long-term family who I didn’t have problems with, I’d hold onto them, vs replacing them with someone you have no experience with.

Again, that is just me personally—you have to do what’s right for you.
This is true, although when I've replaced families the new ones are usually much better. Mostly because I tell them in the interview the reason I have an opening is due to terming a family who didn't follow the rules.
Josiegirl 03:00 AM 04-22-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
No, but pretty much the exact same situation. The parents set themselves up to catch her in the act (without the help of police). I don't believe any charges were ever filed. Her clients were refunded their deposits/for the time they did not use.
Was she ever turned into the state and shut down? Yikes.

I like Playcares' handling of the situation.
happymom 09:36 AM 04-23-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Was she ever turned into the state and shut down? Yikes.
She was.
Tags:red flag, terming problem families
Reply Up