Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Allowing Kids on Couches
Unregistered 09:45 AM 04-26-2018
Would it be wrong to make this a rule? I have opened my home up for kids obviously but where do you draw the line? I am so over boogers and drool getting all over everything. I would like to keep it off my living room couches. The floor is carpet. So, is this ok? Do you guys allow furniture being used or no?
Pestle 10:00 AM 04-26-2018
I have a gate to separate the kids' area from the area with furniture I don't want manhandled. I don't know whether your setup allows for some creative rearrangement.
Luna 10:05 AM 04-26-2018
I didn’t used to allow the kids on the couch, but then they questioned why. I told them they could sit on the couch, but only sit. On their bum. No toys. No books. It turns out they aren’t interested in sitting on the couch on their bums.
Blackcat31 10:14 AM 04-26-2018
No kids on the sofa.
Bothered me so much that I ditched the sofa all together.

Nothing in any regulations or licensing rules in any state that says you HAVE to have kids on your sofa.
Pestle 10:21 AM 04-26-2018
You can tell which providers allow kids on their sofas by looking for the threads discussing how to get vomit and diarrhea out of couch cushion filling.
Snowmom 10:30 AM 04-26-2018
No kids on the sofa.

I've always had this rule.

The kids get all the toys and mats. The sofa is all mine.
amberrose3dg 10:41 AM 04-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Would it be wrong to make this a rule? I have opened my home up for kids obviously but where do you draw the line? I am so over boogers and drool getting all over everything. I would like to keep it off my living room couches. The floor is carpet. So, is this ok? Do you guys allow furniture being used or no?
Yes it is ok. My daycare space is separate from my living area. The kids have to pass my living area on the way in and out. They have seriously tried any chance they get to run and jump on my couches when they are not allowed on them.There is a reason my daycare space is separate from the rest of the house.
Ac114 11:12 AM 04-26-2018
I used to allow kids on the sofa until one day, one of them decided to pull the stitching out and created a hole in the arm. The couch was about 5 months old. Yea I wasn’t super happy about that. No kids on the couch at all. We’ve considered ditching the couch as well but daycare is also in our living room so we wouldn’t have anywhere for our guests to sit when we had visitors. Lol
storybookending 11:14 AM 04-26-2018
I have a sectional and a rocking chair in my living room. The kids are only allowed on the sectional for the time between nap and snack and only if they are watching whatever show I put on for them. They are never allowed on the chair. They are only allowed to sit, no books or other toys.
nannyde 01:20 PM 04-26-2018
No
I don't like the fall zone from them standing and falling off of it whether the top or the cushions.

I had one in my living room at my old house but it wasn't a daycare room. I just used it for arrivals, departures, and interviews if the child was an infant. I had kids try to go around me and the parents to get on the couch. I also had parents trying to plop on the couch to visit so I just stood in between the door and the couch. Pretty much any time I would HAVE to leave my post the parents and kids would go for the couch.

I had a few pretty heavy parents and they would try to sit on the arm of it. I had to ask them to please get off of it as I was afraid it would break. Very uncomfortable.
e.j. 03:10 PM 04-26-2018
In the house I started out in, I let the kids use the couch because much of the day was spent in the living room. After my niece pee'd on the couch one day and then pooped and rubbed it all over the back of the couch the next day, I made a "No Kids on the Couch" rule.

In my current home, I use the living room to nap infants only. I rarely allow the older kids in that room now. On the rare occasion they do walk into the room with me, they head right over to the couch and chairs and try to jump on them. It never fails. If I didn't have a play room dedicated for day care, I would definitely keep covers on the furniture and the kids off of it.
Pestle 05:12 PM 04-26-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I had a few pretty heavy parents and they would try to sit on the arm of it. I had to ask them to please get off of it as I was afraid it would break. Very uncomfortable.
They should have been raised by you instead of by whomever let them get away with that when they weren't very heavy.
LK5kids 05:58 PM 04-26-2018
No kids on the couch ever!
Jdy2222 07:29 PM 04-26-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
You can tell which providers allow kids on their sofas by looking for the threads discussing how to get vomit and diarrhea out of couch cushion filling.
And urine. That's when I made the rule, when I had a bunch potty training at once. Now mine are all young, under 2.5 and them on the couch would be climbing and standing ... no thanks.
Indoorvoice 05:31 AM 04-27-2018
I also don't allow kids on my furniture!
Play Care 08:36 AM 04-27-2018
I had snot trails on my couch yesterday. Not from sitting on it, but the 1 yo would rest her head on the cushion before I could get her nose. I have turned my couches and chairs towards the walls before so they don't "forget" but it's a PITB. As soon as I'm done with day care, new furniture, here I come!!
HappyEverAfter 09:35 AM 04-27-2018
I do not allow kids on the furniture unless an adult is sitting with them which is almost never. It’s a rule more for safety’s sake (I have 4 under the age of 2) than messiness but I definitely like that my furniture never has slobber, boogers or spit up on it.
HappyOwl 09:39 AM 04-27-2018
I don't have a couch in my daycare area because of this. In our previous home I had a couch in the play area and it was constantly getting abused lol. When we moved and sold the couch. I was so embarrassed when the guy buying it was loading it on his truck. A ton of cheerios, crayons and little girl barrettes and hair clips fell out of it At our new home, I just put daycare stuff in that area so I wasn't constantly worried about them ruining my furniture.
Tags:couch, furniture, wear and tear
Reply Up