Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Remind About Sick Policy
SnowGirl 05:37 PM 05-08-2018
So my spine isn't shiny enough to have nipped this in the bud. Sent dcb home with 100.6 yesterday, parents brought him this morning saying he was fine. He woke from nap with 102.4. dad picked up saying "if he's showing ANY signs of fever tomorrow I won't bring him"

I should have said there and then that he needs to be fever free without medicine for 24 hours. But I didn't. So now I want to call/text them to let them know dcb needs to stay home tomorrow, but not sure what's the best way to word this. Should I call or text?
Josiegirl 03:39 AM 05-09-2018
I'm hoping you figured it out by now. I probably would've texted to let them know he can't come back until tomorrow if he's fever free without meds.

Sounds like something that happened to me just last Thursday. Dcb woke from nap here with a temp of 101-102(took his temp several times within 30-45 min) so dcm came and picked him up. Then she called me the next a.m. saying she'd given him tylenol during the night but none upon waking. He woke with a temp of 100.4. She asked if he could come, I said he should stay home for extra cuddling, considering his fever didn't simply vanish on its own.
amberrose3dg 03:48 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm hoping you figured it out by now. I probably would've texted to let them know he can't come back until tomorrow if he's fever free without meds.

Sounds like something that happened to me just last Thursday. Dcb woke from nap here with a temp of 101-102(took his temp several times within 30-45 min) so dcm came and picked him up. Then she called me the next a.m. saying she'd given him tylenol during the night but none upon waking. He woke with a temp of 100.4. She asked if he could come, I said he should stay home for extra cuddling, considering his fever didn't simply vanish on its own.
YES! when parents try and send sick kids it is frustrating. Stay firm on it. They need to be the ones who take care of their sick children. If i send a child home with a fever especially if they had one the day before they are not returning the next day!!
Play Care 05:43 AM 05-09-2018
When ever I have to call for pick up, I make sure to say right away "I will see Timmy the day after tomorrow *if* he is feeling better!" This way they know up front what the deal is.
If they do say see you tomorrow, you have to say right away "No, per my contract he can not return tomorrow. He *might* be able to come the next day if he has been fever free without meds the whole day tomorrow." Use a matter of fact but firm tone. No need to feel intimated or like it's a "confrontation" you are matter of factly reminding them of your policy.
If you feel you can't do that face to face, you can always send a text/email later on and say "Hey, I think there was some confusion earlier. Per the contract Timmy is excluded from care tomorrow. He may return the following day provided he has been fever free without medication for the whole day. Thanks for your cooperation!" If they give any lip you simply reply "Please refer to your signed contract, thanks!" And then ignore. Don't play their reindeer games.
Blackcat31 06:08 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
So my spine isn't shiny enough to have nipped this in the bud. Sent dcb home with 100.6 yesterday, parents brought him this morning saying he was fine. He woke from nap with 102.4. dad picked up saying "if he's showing ANY signs of fever tomorrow I won't bring him"

I should have said there and then that he needs to be fever free without medicine for 24 hours. But I didn't. So now I want to call/text them to let them know dcb needs to stay home tomorrow, but not sure what's the best way to word this. Should I call or text?
I made a form to send home with kids that are sent home sick. It lists EVERYTHING they must do BEFORE returning to care.

It also lists the first day they can return so there is no misunderstandings.

I found this form to be very useful when I first started as it was hard to use the backbone sometimes.

I'll PM the form to you.
daycarediva 06:17 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I made a form to send home with kids that are sent home sick. It lists EVERYTHING they must do BEFORE returning to care.

I found this form to be very useful when I first started as it was hard to use the backbone sometimes.

I'll PM the form to you.

FANTASTIC IDEA! Sometimes it's easier to hand them a note and say "see you X day if Dcb is feeling better"

It takes parents off guard, not the other way around.
Ariana 09:39 AM 05-09-2018
I always text or email depending on the parent. I also usually say something at the door about being fever free for 24 hours. I had a major issue with a family over fevers. Their kids were continually getting fevers at my house but magically they would disappear the moment they got home Before them I literally never dealt with fevers so it was a lesson learned!
NiNi.R. 11:02 AM 05-09-2018
There is a tummy bug going around here. I was closed on Monday due to being up all night Sunday night sick. Open back up Tuesday. DCM asks if I'm feeling better and mentions her older son had same thing over the weekend. Same DCM drops off DCG off this morning. DCG is insisting she needs her bucket. DCM tells her its not a toy and mentions that early this morning DCG coughed up snot (this is common with Spring Allergies) and that DCD called it throw up so now she thinks she is sick. On the way out her older brother kept saying she probably has what he had. DCM tried to shush him. During breakfast DCG starts to tell friends how she threw up brown on the floor and in the trash at home.

At this point I'm super mad and trying to get everyone situated from breakfast so I can call DCM. Meanwhile DCG has diarrhea three times.

Me:Sorry for the text but we are trying to finish up breakfast and DCG has had dirrhea three times.
DCM: oh crap..literally! Do I need to come get her?
Me: Yes ASAP.

What I wanted to say:No she is fine. Since I've saw you last I grew a couple extra arms so I can wipe your child's but every 5 minutes while simultaneously taking care of the other 5 kids. I'm just letting you know she has diarrhea for the heck of it.
NiNi.R. 11:16 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'll PM the form to you.
Fantastic idea! Can I also get a form?
CityGarden 11:28 AM 05-09-2018
I would love the form too BC!!!

For me I make my sick policy crystal clear before they enroll and I state is as a selling point in that due to my strict policy their child will get sick less and miss less days. My sick policy also states if they have to be sent home they cannot return for a minimum of 24/48 hours (can't recall which one). Since I do not like conflict in the moment I try to have strong policies from the start that I enforce each time.

At this point I would call for them to pick up the child if the child cannot participate fully.
LittleScholars 11:39 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:

Like others have said, because I still feel awkward in the moment but also want to stick to my policies, I always include the info in my text about pick up (texting works best for my parents during the work day). I also like that I can send sick kids right out the door without much conversation, because if they are sick enough to go home I want them removed from the group ASAP.
NiNi.R. 11:57 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by LittleScholars:
Like others have said, because I still feel awkward in the moment but also want to stick to my policies, I always include the info in my text about pick up (texting works best for my parents during the work day). I also like that I can send sick kids right out the door without much conversation, because if they are sick enough to go home I want them removed from the group ASAP.
Oh that's an awesome idea too!
SnowGirl 12:28 PM 05-09-2018
Everyone thank you for all the ideas. I had already decided I should make a form to send home with sick kiddos and then was super delighted to know this is what black cat does! At least I know I have the right ideas 😎

This specific issue resolved itself for today because dcb went up to 104.5 last night and parents texted letting me know they were keeping him home today.

Got a text this morning that he's been fever free without medication since 5:30 am. They wanted to know if they could bring him early tomorrow. I told them they could bring him at opening time (reminded them of my hours) and haven't heard back. We'll see how tomorrow goes!

Thank you thank you thank you!!! For the validation and the ideas <3
Tags:sick policy
Reply Up