Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program: Worth The Hassle?
Miss A 12:53 PM 05-14-2018
Last week I contacted my CCR&R rep about a training I was hoping would be offered locally, and of course on her return call she tries selling me on the food program.

So, I am attempting to weigh the pros and cons. What makes the food program beneficial to you? What is your biggest headache? Is KidKare still so glitchy or have the kinks been ironed out? How does CACFP income factor into your taxes, and do you still use the standard meal deduction?

I am looking for personal experiences to help make an informed decision. Obviously my rep is trying to sway me, but I just don't know if I want to be on the food program.
Cat Herder 12:56 PM 05-14-2018
In some places it is great, in others a nightmare. Guess where I live.

I would recommend asking this in a local providers group. If you have a good program, it may be worth it for you.
JBWWCC 01:37 PM 05-14-2018
Honestly, I don't think so. You can actually claim 1 cent more per meal on your taxes. Keep a meal form, with every meal you served each DCK (not your own) and claim it at the end of the year. Tom Copeland has the numbers! You can claim, popsicles, pop tarts, random snacks that would not be allowed on the food program. (not that you should serve that stuff) but if you do, you can claim it! You don't have someone showing up randomly ruining everyones rhythm and being a pest. The only con is you don't get the extra check each month. It's all at the end of the year.
http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-to-claim-food-expenses
This link will explain everything!
Miss A 01:58 PM 05-14-2018
Thanks! CH, I actually reached out to a number of local home providers and none of them participate. I will not be either, as the number of local providers who do not participate tells me much more than any CCR&R rep can tell me.

JBWWCC, I love that I can use the standard meal deduction each year at tax time. It makes my record keeping a little more simple, and it helps save me time in both meal preparation and grocery shopping. Thanks for the helpful link!
Blackcat31 02:10 PM 05-14-2018
It is always beneficial for a program/provider to be on the food program.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/is-the-food-program-worth-it

That ^^^ is just one article on Tom's site in regards to the benefits of the food program. Use the search function on his site for additional info.
hwichlaz 02:16 PM 05-14-2018
It’s $600 a month extra money, for about 10 min per day in paperwork on the computer.
e.j. 04:53 PM 05-14-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It’s $600 a month extra money, for about 10 min per day in paperwork on the computer.
How much you get depends on what Tier you're assigned to and how many kids you claim per month. I'm Tier 2 so the money I get back each month is quite a bit less than the money I used to get in the last town I lived where I was a Tier 1 provider. Lately, I've been giving a lot of thought to whether or not I want to continue with the fp but I've stuck it out this far because I'm required to follow FDA guidelines whether I'm on the fp or not and because I have to buy food to feed the kids either way. Some reimbursement is better than none in my opinion.
CalCare 06:28 PM 05-14-2018
From what I understand (I'm not on the food program), you can get your food program money AND claim standard meal deduction on taxes and you claim your food program money as income as well...? So it's not one or the other. Idk, I'm debating joining too.
lovemykidstoo 07:06 PM 05-14-2018
I typically receive about $500 a month from the FP. Before when I was a different tier it was about $250. It's really easy paperwork and my rep comes once a quarter. She is really nice, so it's not a bother to me at all.
alyssahenderson 10:19 PM 05-14-2018
Try to ask some locals first. It will always differs from places to places.
Play Care 03:00 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by CalCare:
From what I understand (I'm not on the food program), you can get your food program money AND claim standard meal deduction on taxes and you claim your food program money as income as well...? So it's not one or the other. Idk, I'm debating joining too.
Yes, it's not one or the other. You do both.

I was a Tier 1 provider for the last 5 years and recently got bumped to Tier 2. Truthfully I am debating staying on, as I've had some minor issues with my FP sponsor. But generally getting paid to do something you already are doing isn't a bad thing.
Play Care 03:04 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Thanks! CH, I actually reached out to a number of local home providers and none of them participate. I will not be either, as the number of local providers who do not participate tells me much more than any CCR&R rep can tell me.

JBWWCC, I love that I can use the standard meal deduction each year at tax time. It makes my record keeping a little more simple, and it helps save me time in both meal preparation and grocery shopping. Thanks for the helpful link!
Have they *ever* participated though? I do think a lot of providers tend to be suspicious about yet another person overseeing their business that they don't sign on. I think most providers have relatively positive experiences on the FP. I think Sharlan was the only member here I know of who had a really horrible FP sponsor.
Josiegirl 03:56 AM 05-15-2018
I seriously thought about giving it up when the whole system switched to kidkare, just because I dislike change. But my fp lady convinced to stay on it by showing me how easy it is. KK hasn't been a big problem for me because all I do is the food part of it. I get anywhere from 300-400 a month(don't have a full count lots of meals); I'm on the higher tier. If I wasn't then I wouldn't bother. The FP woman I have is wonderful, a former provider herself so she's totally understanding. If she made life difficult that'd be another reason for me to drop it.
At tax time, my acct. adds the FP income to my regular income and then uses the meal rates on the deductions end. He said it's pretty much a wash because I've asked him if it's worth it. I always count things such as cupcakes, popsicles, and family events as separate expenses though, but make sure I serve the required 2 components for snacks, etc.
You can count infants, even just bottle feeding them, which is nice.
FP comes quarterly here too. Doing meal counts and menus isn't that big of a deal. There is a required 2 hr. training each year.
Cat Herder 04:43 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I think Sharlan was the only member here I know of who had a really horrible FP sponsor.
No, I did too. It is really chaotic, here.

It isn't the oversight, I like taking training classes and having occasional visitors. Especially ones who bring treats like a couple of them did. It is the mismanagement, turnover, and incompetence of the various sub-contractors that made the extra work not worth it on the lowest tier. They lost paperwork constantly, missed deadlines, changed providers (and all the paperwork that entails) and often cost me the reimbursement. There was no recourse. I was on the lowest level with a low ratio anyway, so it was barely worth it to begin with. I think I got one out of every three claims. I left after a year.

I joined for the training, not the reimbursement and even that was a cluster. It really has to do with where you live and community resources.
daycarediva 04:49 AM 05-15-2018
In MY area it's completely worth it, although I can see how it wouldn't be. If that were the case, I would have parents provide meals. I am reimbursed at the higher tier, so my checks (full enrollment) are around 1100-1200/month.

Pays for my DC groceries.
Miss A 06:59 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No, I did too. It is really chaotic, here.

It isn't the oversight, I like taking training classes and having occasional visitors. Especially ones who bring treats like a couple of them did. It is the mismanagement, turnover, and incompetence of the various sub-contractors that made the extra work not worth it on the lowest tier. They lost paperwork constantly, missed deadlines, changed providers (and all the paperwork that entails) and often cost me the reimbursement. There was no recourse. I was on the lowest level with a low ratio anyway, so it was barely worth it to begin with. I think I got one out of every three claims. I left after a year.

I joined for the training, not the reimbursement and even that was a cluster. It really has to do with where you live and community resources.
Does your state have a DHS training registry? I was able to enroll in the CACFP provides training course without enrolling in the food program it's self. I took them because I wanted the additional wellness and nutrition trainings.
Miss A 07:10 AM 05-15-2018
In our area which tier you are placed on is based on your household income. My DH's income alone disqualifies us from the higher tier. Based on the information my rep provided, it would be less than $200 a month for me because I only take 4 daycare kids at a time.

My rep is using the food program as motivation for me to consider getting licensed again. The state is lacking providers who will accept CCA, and she was really pushing that to me as well yesterday. She claims that I can get paid at a rate for 10 hours of care provided even if I only provide 6 hours of care, and a bunch of other things that go against the information provided by the state. I started out as a licensed provider and chose to drop it and be legally unlicensed for a reason.
Meeko 07:11 AM 05-15-2018
For $1000-$1200 a month...it's totally worth it for me! We are Tier 1 because of the school district. My program is great and the reps are awesome. We missed the annual training class for our area (2hrs and usually very informative) last month because of sickness. So last week, our rep traveled down from SLC to my town (40 miles) and met us at the library for a private class. Can't beat that for service.

It takes only a few seconds to enter a meal. Nothing more that clicking a child's name. If you take the time to set up a cycle menu in the program, it becomes very easy to record after that..

Kidkare had a lot of bugs in the program and still isn't perfect, but nothing I can't live with.
Cat Herder 07:15 AM 05-15-2018
Does your state have a DHS training registry? I was able to enroll in the CACFP provides training course without enrolling in the food program it's self. I took them because I wanted the additional wellness and nutrition trainings.
Yes, we do now. It is awesome. We have many free onsite trainings available although most are between 2-6 hours away and mid-work week. I rarely participate in those for pretty obvious reasons. We don't have to be on the food program to participate.

I currently take about 2 hours per week through an approved trainer at $99 per year, unlimited. Right now my registry shows 587 current hours (a couple 3 month college courses at the trade school were worth 112 hours each, CDA was worth 120 ). I am taking the new infant brain development course series this week, they are fun.
Miss A 07:37 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Yes, we do now. It is awesome. We have many free onsite trainings available although most are between 2-6 hours away and mid-work week. I rarely participate in those for pretty obvious reasons. We don't have to be on the food program to participate.

I currently take about 2 hours per week through an approved trainer at $99 per year, unlimited. Right now my registry shows 587 current hours (a couple 3 month college courses at the trade school were worth 112 hours each, CDA was worth 120 ). I am taking the new infant brain development course series this week, they are fun.
May I ask what program you are using? It sounds Wonderful!

I have been completing 2-3 hours per week just with courses provided through our state training registry online. I am really looking forward to the in-person EC-PBIS course this fall though. That is the major one I have waiting to have offered, and completing that with the degree I have allows me to work in our school system with no pre-employment training needed.
Blackcat31 07:38 AM 05-15-2018
In our area which tier you are placed on is based on your household income. My DH's income alone disqualifies us from the higher tier. Based on the information my rep provided, it would be less than $200 a month for me because I only take 4 daycare kids at a time.

My rep is using the food program as motivation for me to consider getting licensed again. The state is lacking providers who will accept CCA, and she was really pushing that to me as well yesterday. She claims that I can get paid at a rate for 10 hours of care provided even if I only provide 6 hours of care, and a bunch of other things that go against the information provided by the state. I started out as a licensed provider and chose to drop it and be legally unlicensed for a reason.
State assistance works like that in my area.

If a child is in attendance for 5.5 hours, we are automatically paid for a full day.

If they are in attendance for 36 hours per week, we are automatically paid a full weekly rate.
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 05-15-2018
May I ask what program you are using? It sounds Wonderful!
Sure! https://www.prosolutionstraining.com/

The $99 individual program. https://www.prosolutionstraining.com...Version_id=279
Cat Herder 07:50 AM 05-15-2018
Forgot to add they have an amazing Library of Resources, FREE. https://www.prosolutionstraining.com/resource_Library/
sharlan 08:15 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Have they *ever* participated though? I do think a lot of providers tend to be suspicious about yet another person overseeing their business that they don't sign on. I think most providers have relatively positive experiences on the FP. I think Sharlan was the only member here I know of who had a really horrible FP sponsor.

That was 20 years ago. I quit for a long time but started after reading Tom's article. I'm with a great program now. I really like my rep.
Play Care 09:24 AM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by sharlan:
That was 20 years ago. I quit for a long time but started after reading Tom's article. I'm with a great program now. I really like my rep.
I remember you telling of your first experience and it was so awful it's stayed with me
CityGarden 10:31 AM 05-15-2018
I see the value to what Tom's blog said about the financial value but still decided to opt out of the food program. I provide homemade organic snack but I see value in parents providing lunches from home - it saves me time (grocery shopping and cooking), money and conversations with parents who have very different views on what is healthy and balanced. Also I like the freedom to eat lunch at the park 2-3 times a week all year long, not always on the same days and I would feel annoyed having to notify the food program of that each time.

When I give parents tours I sell the value of them providing lunches:
Food seems like one of the largest expenses for most providers and by having parents provide lunch it is less expenses to begin with.
Snowmom 01:43 PM 05-15-2018
I am currently on Tier 1 because of the school district boundaries my home is in.
It is absolutely worth my time because of that. I average $800 a month for 8-10 kids (varying schedules).

In a month, I move. I will then be Tier 2.
I will be dropping it then. I would rather just keep my log in information and do counts at the end of the year for the write off. The drop in reimbursements makes it just not worth it to me because I will then go to an average of $250 a month reimbursement for 8-10 kids on Tier 2.
BrynleeJean 01:48 PM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I am currently on Tier 1 because of the school district boundaries my home is in.
It is absolutely worth my time because of that. I average $800 a month for 8-10 kids (varying schedules).

I will be dropping it then. I would rather just keep my log in information and do counts at the end of the year for the write off. The drop in reimbursements makes it just not worth it to me because I will then go to an average of $250 a month reimbursement for 8-10 kids on Tier 2.
Thats about the same here for 8-10 kids unfortunately
love the input
CityGarden 04:06 PM 05-15-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:

Great point I am Tier 2 which did impact my decision.
Silly Songs 05:26 PM 05-15-2018
A local school my friend’s children attend ( preschool/ daycare) provides snacks wrapped in bags from some program. I’m not sure if it’s the food program but the mom was told it’s a government program. She pays a lot for tuition so she doesn’t know how they are eligible.
MyAngels 06:30 PM 05-15-2018
I once figured out I make a little over $100 per hour with the food program. Takes me about an hour or less per week to enter menus/attendance online, plus the 3 visits per year. I normally get $500 a month. I really can't justify not doing it, since I'd serve the same foods either way.
hwichlaz 11:18 AM 05-16-2018
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
A local school my friend’s children attend ( preschool/ daycare) provides snacks wrapped in bags from some program. I’m not sure if it’s the food program but the mom was told it’s a government program. She pays a lot for tuition so she doesn’t know how they are eligible.
All daycares are eligible for the food program.
Tags:food program
Reply Up