Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Asking Why I Am Calling Off A Day?
Unregistered 10:08 AM 06-04-2018
I told dcm that I cannot watch her kids on the 21st. That is over 2 weeks from today, plenty of time for her to find back up. But, she text me asking why? Do I really need to provide an answer? Why is that her business? How do I reply to her text asking why? Thanks
Snowmom 10:14 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I told dcm that I cannot watch her kids on the 21st. That is over 2 weeks from today, plenty of time for her to find back up. But, she text me asking why? Do I really need to provide an answer? Why is that her business? How do I reply to her text asking why? Thanks
Answer:
"Because I will be closed."

No, you don't need to tell her why and it isn't her business.
amberrose3dg 10:14 AM 06-04-2018
Nope just say no! Sorry but I am in a mood. Parents are the worst!
NeedaVaca 10:16 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Answer:
"Because I will be closed."

No, you don't need to tell her why and it isn't her business.
Exactly
Unregistered 10:22 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Nope just say no! Sorry but I am in a mood. Parents are the worst!
I feel you on the parents! I am not really closed that day, I will be watching my other 2 kids and my own. I honestly just don't want to watch them that day. Is there anything else I could say besides I am closed. I ask because they live across the street and will see I am open.
amberrose3dg 10:27 AM 06-04-2018
I feel you on the parents! I am not really closed that day, I will be watching my other 2 kids and my own. I honestly just don't want to watch them that day. Is there anything else I could say besides I am closed. I ask because they live across the street and will see I am open.
Are they full time or part time or what is their attendance?
If it isn't a day they normally attend just tell them you do not have room.
NeedaVaca 10:32 AM 06-04-2018
ah, that changes my answer... I'm not sure how often you watch them or if they are just drop ins but I would wager she will be upset when she sees you are actually open and just not watching her children This is why I don't provide care for neighbors
Unregistered 10:37 AM 06-04-2018
There are 3 of them 1 is school age and their last day forever is suppose to be the last day of school on the 19th. If I watch the 3 of them on the 21st I will be way over what I can handle because my own kids will be here. So just need to tell this mom something even tho it is none of her business.
Play Care 10:39 AM 06-04-2018
Wait, so they are supposed to be done? I would just tell her that having her kids will put you over your ratio so you will no longer be able to watch them. Give her the number to the referral agency and wish her well.
Cat Herder 10:41 AM 06-04-2018
"Your family's last day of attendance is June 19th, 2018. Thank you for your continued interest but I must keep that deadline to stay within my summer ratio. Thank you for your understanding"
Play Care 10:42 AM 06-04-2018
Maybe even:

"DCM, Sorry for the confusion! I thought your children's last day with me was the 19. Since my own kids will be home after that, I will no longer have space to accommodate your children, or I would be out of ratio. Should you need care the referral agency can be reached at _________. I have enjoyed caring for your family and wish you the best!"
amberrose3dg 10:43 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Maybe even:

"DCM, Sorry for the confusion! I thought your children's last day with me was the 19. Since my own kids will be home after that, I will no longer have space to accommodate your children, or I would be out of ratio. Should you need care the referral agency can be reached at _________. I have enjoyed caring for your family and wish you the best!"

^ this
Unregistered 10:43 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Wait, so they are supposed to be done? I would just tell her that having her kids will put you over your ratio so you will no longer be able to watch them. Give her the number to the referral agency and wish her well.
She is a teacher so is done for the summer but she seems like its the end of the world that I can't watch her kids that one last time. I gave her over 2 weeks to figure something else out.
Rockgirl 11:13 AM 06-04-2018
She is a teacher so is done for the summer but she seems like its the end of the world that I can't watch her kids that one last time. I gave her over 2 weeks to figure something else out.
Oh well! Let that be her problem. Two weeks is plenty of time.
Blackcat31 12:21 PM 06-04-2018
There are 3 of them 1 is school age and their last day forever is suppose to be the last day of school on the 19th. If I watch the 3 of them on the 21st I will be way over what I can handle because my own kids will be here. So just need to tell this mom something even tho it is none of her business.
Is the last day of school (the 19th) ALSO the last day this family will be in care per a term notice via you or from the parents?

If neither of you termed and this family is normally a regularly attending family in the summer but you just don't want to watch them on a certain day, my advice is be honest and simply say "I am not able to watch them on xx date" period.

If they put you over ratios due to your own children, be honest. "I am unable to watch them on xx date as I do not have space available"

If you just dont want them to come at all anymore, be honest about that too and just terminate services.

If they don't attend in the summer month and are done with daycare the last day of school, again just be honest..."The last day I am able to provide care is xx date"

If she texts, calls or emails for more information just don't respond.

I see these types of situations born out of a provider being less than honest about the situation and the lack of honestly as creating a problem that wouldn't have existed had the communication just been open and honest in the first place.

fwiw~ I am NOT saying you lied about anything... each post you make contains more info so wondering if there is more to the story.

If not then like I said, just be honest and tell the mom, "I can NOT take the kids that day." period. No further discussion necessary.
Unregistered 01:54 PM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is the last day of school (the 19th) ALSO the last day this family will be in care per a term notice via you or from the parents?

If neither of you termed and this family is normally a regularly attending family in the summer but you just don't want to watch them on a certain day, my advice is be honest and simply say "I am not able to watch them on xx date" period.

If they put you over ratios due to your own children, be honest. "I am unable to watch them on xx date as I do not have space available"

If you just dont want them to come at all anymore, be honest about that too and just terminate services.

If they don't attend in the summer month and are done with daycare the last day of school, again just be honest..."The last day I am able to provide care is xx date"

If she texts, calls or emails for more information just don't respond.

I see these types of situations born out of a provider being less than honest about the situation and the lack of honestly as creating a problem that wouldn't have existed had the communication just been open and honest in the first place.

fwiw~ I am NOT saying you lied about anything... each post you make contains more info so wondering if there is more to the story.

If not then like I said, just be honest and tell the mom, "I can NOT take the kids that day." period. No further discussion necessary.
I termed this family for good over a month ago and had told mom my last day would be the 19th of June. She asked me for the 21st and I originally said ok. Now looking at the numbers because my own kids will be here I decided it best for me not to watch those dck on the 21st. I told mom today and she text me and asked why? I personally feel it is not her business. Or is it?
Baby Beluga 02:03 PM 06-04-2018
I termed this family for good over a month ago and had told mom my last day would be the 19th of June. She asked me for the 21st and I originally said ok. Now looking at the numbers because my own kids will be here I decided it best for me not to watch those dck on the 21st. I told mom today and she text me and asked why? I personally feel it is not her business. Or is it?
Ehhhh, if you originally said yes and after looking at the numbers you can no longer do it, then yes I personally think she does deserve an explanation. It doesn't have to be a long one. Something simple like a PP posted about ratios.
NeedaVaca 02:12 PM 06-04-2018
I have changed my answer based on each post the plot thickens lol, each time you post you add more details, 1st you just don't want to watch the kids, then you say the last day is the 19th, but now you are saying you said you would watch them on the 21st? Just tell mom the truth, it's easiest in the long run.
Josiegirl 02:26 PM 06-04-2018
Just tell her something like this 'I know originally I had told you I could take them the 21st but now I realize with my own children here too, it will be too much. Sorry and have a great summer.'
I don't feel you owe her any more of an explanation; you're giving her 2 weeks+ notice, she can find someone else. Does she have to work a couple days past school closing? Just curious because one of my dcds is a teacher and he always ends the season a couple days or so later, just to get things done.
Blackcat31 02:58 PM 06-04-2018
Gotcha!
I'd tell her "Although I originally said I could, I answered in haste and didn't realize my own kids would be here so I am not able to provide care that day due to ratios. Thank you!"

Then leave it at that. No further explanation needed.

It's the truth and it's not her business but it's the truth and should leave her satisfied. If not, too bad for her, you are giving enough notice that it's NOT your problem.
Unregistered 03:21 PM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Gotcha!
I'd tell her "Although I originally said I could, I answered in haste and didn't realize my own kids would be here so I am not able to provide care that day due to ratios. Thank you!"

Then leave it at that. No further explanation needed.

It's the truth and it's not her business but it's the truth and should leave her satisfied. If not, too bad for her, you are giving enough notice that it's NOT your problem.
Thanks blackcat!
daycarediva 10:52 AM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Ehhhh, if you originally said yes and after looking at the numbers you can no longer do it, then yes I personally think she does deserve an explanation. It doesn't have to be a long one. Something simple like a PP posted about ratios.
yup, this!
Tags:off days
Reply Up