Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Venting Thread
amberrose3dg 04:21 AM 06-04-2018
Originally Posted by ChelseaB:
It seems that when it rains, it pours! Already received 3 bits of bad news this morning (hopefully, it’s a case of “bad news comes in 3”, and I don’t receive anymore lol).

1 — I just received the 2 week notice for DCG 1.5. Great family, private pay, and the baby is wonderful. I was her first DC, and now I believe I was merely the back up who had infant space until their preferred DC had s spot for her. Oh well, it happens. Part of the job. DCD was very reassuring that I was amazing and they love it here, they simply desired a different environment (I’m in the city — they are a bit more “organic”, and this new location is on a farm with gardens, animals, etc). I’ll miss her.

2 — Potential enrollee asked me to hold a FT space for this Monday, 2 weeks ago (there was an arrangement where another location in my area is closing today actually, and she listed me as a relocation DC for her clients). I was doing my best to accommodate everyone that I could, and she seemed dedicated to the space. Just received notice this morning that she wished to keep her with her other group of friends, who were all going elsewhere. Luckily, I had someone else needing the spot who will most likely take it.

3 — I watch my nephew based on my brother’s joint custody arrangement (and I would never recommend it — he receives so much special, I’ve had to put him in his place too often yet still get the short end of the deal). I more or less just wanted to help, but it’s turned into a pretty large financial loss since he takes a FT space, and I don’t ask him to pay for the time nephew doesn’t come. Now, his payment for this week will be delayed until next week due to a banking issue. 🤦🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️🤦🏼*♀️

For my sanity, I hope that’s it today! Blah!
When a family shorts you 30 dollars on your check. Im sure she will say something about not knowing instead of asking. Their last day is next Monday so they owed me for a week and then one day for two kids. how can you think 30 dollars will cover two kids for one day
Play Care 10:55 AM 06-04-2018
I have to let mom of the new boys know that I won't have space for them this Fall, and I was going to wait until end of July. Well after yet another horrible nap time, I am telling her today in hopes she pulls them sooner. The older boy is 4 1/2 and doesn't think he needs to do anything he doesn't want to. The younger boy, while sweet, clearly has special needs (and will be getting EI starting soon) and I imagine will go to a SN preschool in a year. I really like mom, but I can't do this every time they are here.
daycarediva 10:56 AM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I have to let mom of the new boys know that I won't have space for them this Fall, and I was going to wait until end of July. Well after yet another horrible nap time, I am telling her today in hopes she pulls them sooner. The older boy is 4 1/2 and doesn't think he needs to do anything he doesn't want to. The younger boy, while sweet, clearly has special needs (and will be getting EI starting soon) and I imagine will go to a SN preschool in a year. I really like mom, but I can't do this every time they are here.
That stinks!

My vent- just had a mom ask to shorten nap for a brand new 3yo. Reason? She's 3. Is it disrupting bedtime? No, she's 3 though. Because her older children stopped napping at this age, so should she. *facepalm*

NO. She is the first out, last up.
amberrose3dg 12:11 PM 06-05-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This is what I was faced with. I was gonna up my rates in hopes they pulled. They ended up giving me notice that they are moving. My other headache child mom gave me notice yesterday that his last day is this Wednesday. Hoping you have that happen for you.
Ac114 11:15 AM 06-06-2018
Whats with all weird nap requests lately?

DCM 1: we would like to stop nap for fresh 3 year old. NOPE

DCM 2: please don’t let DCG 2 sleep more than 1.5 hours because she doesn’t sleep at night. NOPE

NOPE NOPE AND NOPE!!

That’s all for today 😂
Play Care 11:28 AM 06-06-2018
I had to talk to a mom about paying on time. What I wanted to say (but didn't) is that NONE of my other clients ever need to be spoken to about payment.
On top of that her DD is starting to be handsy with my 1 year old DCG.
amberrose3dg 12:18 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
This is what I was faced with. I was gonna up my rates in hopes they pulled. They ended up giving me notice that they are moving. My other headache child mom gave me notice yesterday that his last day is this Wednesday. Hoping you have that happen for you.
The mom that gave me notice picked her kid up today for the last time. You know what she says to me. I figured since I will be traveling a lot and your vacation I would just keep him home with me. Translation I am too cheap to pay for time this summer when he won't be there(and i dont think much about you to even give you a decent heads up). Which is one week for me and one for her. She seriously thinks she can possibly come back in the fall. I tried my best not to laugh as i slammed the door in her face. She has been the biggest pain in my ass about questioning policies, paying late and her son is DIFFICULT.There is no way in hell I would let her come back to daycare after that. I told my husband I will tell her all spots are full and since she doesn't like to honor a contract she can do drop-in care. She can call day before she needs it to see if i have space. I will only charge her 60 for the day. She was paying 30 a day for 3 days. People suck
Cat Herder 05:35 AM 06-08-2018
Anthony Bourdain.

I have lived vicariously through him for so long. I just don't get it.
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 06-08-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Anthony Bourdain.

I have lived vicariously through him for so long. I just don't get it.

Speaking from experience, it's something those of us left behind will never get.

It simply isn't something our logical thinking processes can truly comprehend.

^^ One of the hardest but most valuable lessons life has taught me.
Cat Herder 06:52 AM 06-08-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Speaking from experience, it's something those of us left behind will never get.

His alcohol consumption escalation on screen made me squirm and his physical condition and color had me concerned last season. I wonder what his producers saw.
Miss A 07:38 AM 06-08-2018

There have never been truer words.

Our very small community has faced 5 suicides in 5 months, and my own mother attempted to take her life in January. Two of the suicides were brothers, and uncles of one of my DCB's. One was a distant cousin of mine. One a close family friend.

You can't always see their struggle. They may even be getting help. In my mother's case she knows exactly what to say and to whom to make it seem like she is working through things and taking the steps to get better, but she really isn't. Yesterday was exactly 5 months since her suicide attempt and she sent my sister an end of life statement text. I still have days that are spent playing phone tag with relatives and psychologists.

I do not understand her reasoning. I do not understand why she is putting on a show of a healthy life but not putting in the effort. But, I also know that I can not fix it for her, or even try to fix her.
Annalee 09:54 AM 06-08-2018
Suicide is a selfish act, in my opinion, and an act I do not understand, either, but those that decide to take lives of others while on that suicide mission really leaves my wondering how could anyone do such a thing, not only to themselves but to so many others. Mind-boggling for sure with no logic!!!!!
MomBoss 06:49 AM 06-09-2018
Tired of people responding to my ad asking about me and my rates but when i email back...they dont respond. My rates are the lowest in the area and centers are $400/week. If my rates are the problem..then good luck! But I think its rude for them to not reply back.
Cat Herder 12:25 PM 06-11-2018
I don't remember the username of the member whose nephew this was (missing child) but I found an update. It is all heartbreaking.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emily-g...arent-suicide/
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 06-11-2018
I don't remember the username of the member whose nephew this was (missing child) but I found an update. It is all heartbreaking.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emily-g...arent-suicide/
That is really sad on many levels
Ac114 06:58 AM 06-12-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Tired of people responding to my ad asking about me and my rates but when i email back...they dont respond. My rates are the lowest in the area and centers are $400/week. If my rates are the problem..then good luck! But I think its rude for them to not reply back.
I feel ya! At least reply with something even if you aren’t interested.
Country Kids 08:47 AM 06-12-2018
When you ask parents to make sure to bring a water bottle that I can keep here since weather is turning hot and also make sure to apply sunscreen to child before dropping off in the mornings.

5 children here-1 brought a water bottle (mom didn't have child last night-dad's night and she made sure to stop off on the way to work and drop one off). 3 have sunscreen on.

I can't worry about it................
Ac114 08:27 AM 06-13-2018
I don’t take enough time off. Being a new provider and needing to get people enrolled, I didn’t think to take very many days off to be there for the families. Well it’s not working for me. I know we just had Memorial Day off but I already need another day off. More like a week off! 🤣
Jupadia 08:41 AM 06-13-2018
Where have all my plastic spoons gone.. ..

Lots of knives (dont use them accept my own kid and for playdough)
Some forks
Just enough spoons
(Some may be in my kids lost and found at school)
Josiegirl 09:42 AM 06-13-2018
Parents that come in and disrupt the routine and the group really pi$$ me off. If they want to coddle their child/ren and whisk away their whimpers and tears about staying, do it outside. Don't come into the house while I'm trying to prepare breakfast for hungry kids who are excited because 2 more just walked in and their mommy is evidently here to do ring around the rosey with everybody or read stories(twins picked out Oh The Places You'll Go, do you have any idea how long that book is????). Your kids have been here 3 years!!! They're milking you for all the attention they can get! Do it on your time, not mine.

Then dcm drops off dcb at noon, already asleep and sees everyone else already laying down, tells me she can take him out and put him into crib, then shows me how to work a white noise machine; he starts crying when she puts him down and shushes him...So 10 minutes later he's sleeping but all the others are wide awake.

Parents.......I've parented 4 of my own and partnered with 100 other parents for years in raising others. Yes, they're your child/ren but it's my business, my group, my routine, and I'm no newbie at this.
homeishere 10:27 AM 06-13-2018
Why did I not close for my birthday? Definitely regretting it now. 😭
Hippygal 11:38 AM 06-14-2018
Hello all! I opened my family childcare in CA just 4 short months ago. I’m caring for age 0-12, but so far have only 3 kiddos on various days, between the age of 5-7 months. I also have my own 2 year old daughter. I can’t help but thinking WTF was I thinking!?! Seriously, who on earth could care for 3 infants and a toddler at the same time alone?!? I am so ready to give up! The first 2 kids were great(one is 5 months, the other is 7 months)... they’re each here 2 days/week, one day over-lapping, and very mild tempered. If they’re crying it’s because they need their basic needs met.... BUT THE 3rd infant is 7 months old, here 5 days, and CONSTANTLY NEEDS TO BE HELD. If I put her down, she army crawls while whimpering to wherever I am. It is affecting everyone else here, including myself and my daughter. I honestly don’t think I was cut out for this line of work. I love kids, I’m great with them... but being STUCK at home ALL day with crying babies that aren’t my own?!? No thanks!!! If I were getting calls for children 3+ & my House was filled with messy toddlers, I think it would be more tolerable.... but infants- i just don’t think I was built to care for more than one infant at a time!!!! Any words of advice on how to stay sane while running an at home daycare would be fabulous!!!! Going batty here!
Ac114 02:42 PM 06-14-2018
STOP LEAVING MY DOOR OPEN WHILE YOU TALK TO YOUR CHILD AND ASK HOW THEIR DAY WAS!!!! You’ve only let in about a bajillion flies. Thank you!
Leigh 09:13 PM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
STOP LEAVING MY DOOR OPEN WHILE YOU TALK TO YOUR CHILD AND ASK HOW THEIR DAY WAS!!!! You’ve only let in about a bajillion flies. Thank you!
Please close the door. Close the door please. CLOSE THE @!&%$!$% DOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!! The parents are worse than the kids about it (the kids don't like flies in the house any more than I do!).
LysesKids 02:38 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Please close the door. Close the door please. CLOSE THE @!&%$!$% DOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!! The parents are worse than the kids about it (the kids don't like flies in the house any more than I do!).
In my case it's the swarms of nasty little red beetles & wasps that come in my door... worse than any old flies lol
Josiegirl 02:46 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
In my case it's the swarms of nasty little red beetles & wasps that come in my door... worse than any old flies lol
EEEKS!!!!

Speaking of doors, the kids are all too eager to open the front door when parents come or when more kids come for the day, so my latest thing has been telling them 'Opening the door is MY job'! I have that 1 parent who allows her dds to do anything they please with no consequences.
amberrose3dg 04:40 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
EEEKS!!!!

Speaking of doors, the kids are all too eager to open the front door when parents come or when more kids come for the day, so my latest thing has been telling them 'Opening the door is MY job'! I have that 1 parent who allows her dds to do anything they please with no consequences.
Yeah nope! I had a 6 year old open my door yesterday. I told him he is not to open my door!
gumdrops 05:53 AM 06-15-2018
You may bring breakfast to my home if it's before 8:00 and it's healthy. Mom of DCG brings her a hard boiled egg. So, I peel the egg that wasn't boiled correctly because the shell is not coming off good. Then she informs me that she doesn't like the yolk. In the process of trying to remove that from the not perfectly boiled egg, I get egg yolk crumbles all over the table. Annoying!
amberrose3dg 06:01 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
You may bring breakfast to my home if it's before 8:00 and it's healthy. Mom of DCG brings her a hard boiled egg. So, I peel the egg that wasn't boiled correctly because the shell is not coming off good. Then she informs me that she doesn't like the yolk. In the process of trying to remove that from the not perfectly boiled egg, I get egg yolk crumbles all over the table. Annoying!
Rough Friday morning. Daycare mom shows up late with toddler with a huge black eye. Food lady pulls in right behind her. I sent the main office an email few days ago that I needed to change my meal times. They are no longer working for the kids enrolled and needed to push breakfast morning snack and lunch up. They haven't gotten to it yet so I had to explain why the kids already ate. I am so glad it is Friday.
Ac114 09:26 AM 06-19-2018
Seriously! 7 year old DCG comes up to me with a fresh looking bite mark and says ___ (my son) bit me. I said when? I didn’t see anyone bite anyone and hear anyone get upset. She said it was yesterday. I said you weren’t here yesterday.

Why are you lying so my child gets in trouble? Seriously pissed me off.
amberrose3dg 09:56 AM 06-19-2018
Seriously! 7 year old DCG comes up to me with a fresh looking bite mark and says ___ (my son) bit me. I said when? I didn’t see anyone bite anyone and hear anyone get upset. She said it was yesterday. I said you weren’t here yesterday.

Did she bite herself?
Josiegirl 09:59 AM 06-19-2018

Jealousy? I've had dcks bite themselves, then try to blame someone but never at 7 yo! More like 3 yo.
Ac114 10:52 AM 06-19-2018
Did she bite herself?
She had to of because it was nap time and her, my 8 yrs old and 4 year old were the only ones awake. We had all been sitting quietly in the living room doing quiet activities. I would have expected this from a younger child but 7? And she blamed it on my 4 year old.
gumdrops 06:30 AM 06-21-2018
I HATE cheap diapers and "sensitive" wet wipes! Considering charging a fee and supplying them myself!
daycarediva 10:41 AM 06-21-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
That stinks!

My vent- just had a mom ask to shorten nap for a brand new 3yo. Reason? She's 3. Is it disrupting bedtime? No, she's 3 though. Because her older children stopped napping at this age, so should she. *facepalm*

NO. She is the first out, last up.
She requested again today. I am OVER it already. Guarantee the push for 'independence' and 'no nap' is for a prek program. Older sibs attended one, and Mom gushed about my program and how she wished she found me sooner so kids wouldn't have had to attend the expensive prek. Waiting on notice, but NOT shortening naps.
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 06-21-2018
She requested again today. I am OVER it already. Guarantee the push for 'independence' and 'no nap' is for a prek program. Older sibs attended one, and Mom gushed about my program and how she wished she found me sooner so kids wouldn't have had to attend the expensive prek. Waiting on notice, but NOT shortening naps.
Agree to it....

I charge $50 per day per child for no-nap or shortened nap requests. Payable in cash upon drop off on each day the parent needs/wants or requests alterations to my regular rest schedule.

I charge for it because I don't know anyone willing to work for less than min. wage and for less than at least 3 hours so I have to hire someone that's willing to supervise and entertain the non-napper so I happily offer this service to parents that request nap alterations for their child.

Its a win-win for everyone! Parent gets their request met and I get a few extra $'s. Of course there isn't a single parent that's taken me up on my offer but the option is still there if they want it.

So, I say offer DCM the option and see if she takes you up on it!
nannyde 06:17 AM 06-22-2018
You just need to charge a fee for it. Tell her the rate she has now is determined with a 2.5 hour nap daily. If she wants the child to be up it is X dollars per day to hire a staff assistant to cover the "no nap" service.

One way to avoid this is to tell them at the interview that the price given is only for children without special requests such as ... but not limited to ... baby led weaning, early elimination toilet training, no nap service, baby led weaning, nipple conversion for breast fed babies, etc. If the parent requests a service not offered by the daycare there will be an additional charge. It's not personal. The staff time to meet the request increases so the fee increases. Just like every other business.
amberrose3dg 09:01 AM 06-22-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You just need to charge a fee for it. Tell her the rate she has now is determined with a 2.5 hour nap daily. If she wants the child to be up it is X dollars per day to hire a staff assistant to cover the "no nap" service.

One way to avoid this is to tell them at the interview that the price given is only for children without special requests such as ... but not limited to ... baby led weaning, early elimination toilet training, no nap service, baby led weaning, nipple conversion for breast fed babies, etc. If the parent requests a service not offered by the daycare there will be an additional charge. It's not personal. The staff time to meet the request increases so the fee increases. Just like every other business.
Leaving in a few minutes for a mammogram and an ultrasound.
daycarediva 11:14 AM 06-22-2018
Agree to it....

I charge $50 per day per child for no-nap or shortened nap requests. Payable in cash upon drop off on each day the parent needs/wants or requests alterations to my regular rest schedule.

I charge for it because I don't know anyone willing to work for less than min. wage and for less than at least 3 hours so I have to hire someone that's willing to supervise and entertain the non-napper so I happily offer this service to parents that request nap alterations for their child.

Its a win-win for everyone! Parent gets their request met and I get a few extra $'s. Of course there isn't a single parent that's taken me up on my offer but the option is still there if they want it.

So, I say offer DCM the option and see if she takes you up on it!

I COULD offer this service for EVERY parent as I have a second assistant now.
Josiegirl 03:18 PM 06-22-2018
Leaving in a few minutes for a mammogram and an ultrasound.
Hope everything came out alright???
amberrose3dg 03:45 PM 06-22-2018
Hope everything came out alright???
I wont know for a few days. I have a lump under my right armpit and pain all in that area. Hoping for it be a cyst or something.
Josiegirl 03:50 PM 06-22-2018
I wont know for a few days. I have a lump under my right armpit and pain all in that area. Hoping for it be a cyst or something.
If it's painful, it's most likely a cyst. Try not to worry(I know, easy for me to say)and good luck!!!
storybookending 03:36 AM 06-25-2018
First time having push back on any of my policies but I stood my ground. No I will not just keep your child with a fever medicated all day long to keep it down.. that is NOT how this works. I had requests from both of my newer moms and NOPE NOPE NOPE. At least one is pissed, sorry sweetie that’s a part of being a parent. (Which I feel awful saying because I’m not actually a parent but come on now)
DaveA 03:48 AM 06-25-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
First time having push back on any of my policies but I stood my ground. No I will not just keep your child with a fever medicated all day long to keep it down.. that is NOT how this works. I had requests from both of my newer moms and NOPE NOPE NOPE. At least one is pissed, sorry sweetie that’s a part of being a parent. (Which I feel awful saying because I’m not actually a parent but come on now)
I had an interview when the mom was stunned I had such a "ridiculously strict" sick policy. My guess is that she & your DCMs would be hacked the first time their child came down with something they could blame on daycare.
storybookending 03:55 AM 06-25-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I had an interview when the mom was stunned I had such a "ridiculously strict" sick policy. My guess is that she & your DCMs would be hacked the first time their child came down with something they could blame on daycare.
I don’t care if he is “fine now” if a child needs meds to be here they don’t need to be here. I’m mostly just pissed I’m awake now
amberrose3dg 04:02 AM 06-25-2018
I don’t care if he is “fine now” if a child needs meds to be here they don’t need to be here. I’m mostly just pissed I’m awake now
Same here. I do not take kids that are medicated. If they come down with a fever at lunch they will need to find another daycare if they are doping and dropping.
amberrose3dg 04:06 AM 06-25-2018
If it's painful, it's most likely a cyst. Try not to worry(I know, easy for me to say)and good luck!!!
I am trying to. I had cancer before so I am trying to stay hopeful. The pain is in my arm and down where my bra is too. I think my doctor is stumped as what it is.
Rizzle54 04:17 AM 06-25-2018
A parent complained about me a few weeks ago saying I was screaming at the kids ... I wasn’t I was trying to get them to all sit down and iwas using my a loud teacher voice lol cause if I didn’t they would all be running around like crazy .. anyways the lady made a comment about me saying I’m lucky I don’t treat her child they way I do with the other kids.. the director and owner of my school knew about this but they let it go cause they believed me...so then yesterday there was a moment I was struggling with the other children to get them on the other playground and I had one kid in my hands and the other kid by the arm and the kid i had by the arm dropped himself on the ground so I was kinda dragging him .. so I fixed it I let the kid in my arms go and picked the other kid up right way .. but the same lady from last week somehow saw this and said I was “hurting” the children and grabbing three kids by the arm at the same time dragging them on the ground ... that didn’t happen... so the lady threatened me saying if the school doesn’t do anything she will... (note: this lady works across the street ) so to wrap this all up the owner of the school looked at the cameras and said she saw me at stress and that it would be better if I work somewhere else.. oh then two other parents complained about me as well cause they had bite marks on them and they were in my care when it happened ... which was not true...it was just complaint after complaint about me .. it’s kinda unfair. Recovering from this is actually putting me in depression cause I had to say goodbye to all my coworkers that I loved and all the kids I got attached to... idk how to recover from this at all it was my first job as a teacher assistant I was there for 1 year..my heart is so broken 💔💔💔💔 I have been looking for new jobs but every night I have been crying myself to sleep...
storybookending 04:37 AM 06-25-2018
Same here. I do not take kids that are medicated. If they come down with a fever at lunch they will need to find another daycare if they are doping and dropping.
I have meds on site for each child but it’s more in a “if you child suddenly becomes ill I will administer while you close up shop at work to keep them comfortable while you get here” sort of thing. My two new moms, both I would say probably 24ish and ftms are Tylenol crazy! “Oh I gave Billy meds this morning bc he seemed off but doesn’t have a fever or any symptoms”. Just no.

The one that I didn’t allow to come today isn’t going to be here too much longer anyways as both parents work (or soon will) in another town and are looking to move there. I did not get this information from either parent but rather through the grapevine, small town life. I feel bad but I’m less likely to care when I know they won’t be sticking around.
storybookending 08:20 PM 06-25-2018
Welp HFM has hit my daycare for the first time. I have one sib set and only the boy has it but mom is also keeping sister home as a precaution, she ran a fever this weekend. Actually I sent them both home with fevers on Friday afternoon. They were both together all weekend with my niece at a family function so chances are at least one of the girls will come down with it. Informed all parents about the diagnosis and one of my younger ones has it as well. Another (the mom I vented about earlier) had her son tested as well as he ran a fever Sunday and today but said the test was negative.

As far as exclusion I am not sure. I’ve read all the threads here with a HFM tag and it seems to be split with what providers do. Basically the jist of what I’m getting is it’s contagious before symptoms and esp while running the fever and up u til after spots have started to scab over. So basically they were all probably exposed anyways.
Leigh 08:30 AM 06-26-2018
Welp HFM has hit my daycare for the first time. I have one sib set and only the boy has it but mom is also keeping sister home as a precaution, she ran a fever this weekend. Actually I sent them both home with fevers on Friday afternoon. They were both together all weekend with my niece at a family function so chances are at least one of the girls will come down with it. Informed all parents about the diagnosis and one of my younger ones has it as well. Another (the mom I vented about earlier) had her son tested as well as he ran a fever Sunday and today but said the test was negative.

As far as exclusion I am not sure. I’ve read all the threads here with a HFM tag and it seems to be split with what providers do. Basically the jist of what I’m getting is it’s contagious before symptoms and esp while running the fever and up u til after spots have started to scab over. So basically they were all probably exposed anyways.
They probably were all exposed, BUT, more exposures=more likely to contract the illness. Exclusion still helps prevent the spread (I have never had a DCK get it from another DCK).

I'm not so sure that DCM was telling you the truth about having a "negative test" for it. I truly doubt that any doctor would order lab work for HFM for a child who wasn't critically ill (like, a kid who has cancer, and when they must know exactly which bacteria or virus is attacking the child). Especially unlikely when the child's only symptom is fever. Doctors diagnose HFM by exam.
Ac114 09:10 AM 06-26-2018
They probably were all exposed, BUT, more exposures=more likely to contract the illness. Exclusion still helps prevent the spread (I have never had a DCK get it from another DCK).

I'm not so sure that DCM was telling you the truth about having a "negative test" for it. I truly doubt that any doctor would order lab work for HFM for a child who wasn't critically ill (like, a kid who has cancer, and when they must know exactly which bacteria or virus is attacking the child). Especially unlikely when the child's only symptom is fever. Doctors diagnose HFM by exam.
I agree ☝️. When my son had HFM 2 years ago the pediatrician said there wasn’t a test to be done, just an exam. He was excluded from daycare for the week until fever and sores were healed.
sharlan 11:49 AM 06-26-2018
OMG! My two grandsons (A, 11 and B, 10) live to argue. They've spent 20 mins arguing whether A said "summer's ear" or " swimmer's ear".

It ended with B taking off his swimsuit and going inside to pout for 10 minutes.

Now they're back in the pool like nothing happened.
storybookending 11:56 AM 06-26-2018

Sorry the “test” wording was my own as I wasn’t sure if it was a test or an exam. She took the child in bc he also has/had a rash but doc said that it isn’t HFM, she took him in after I texted yesterday that another child in care had a confirmed case. It was written as just a viral rash but not HFM. All children that had fevers/rashes are out today. Just not sure when to accept them back as I’ve never dealt with HFM.
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 06-26-2018
Exclusion beyond a fever does NOT prevent or reduce spread for HFM. The following statement is copied/pasted from state health dept. for exclusion rule

“Childcare and School: Until fever is gone and child is well enough to participate in routine activities (sores or rash may still be present). Exclusion will not reduce transmission, as some children may shed the virus without showing symptoms, and other children who become ill may shed the virus for weeks in the stool.
storybookending 12:39 PM 06-26-2018
Exclusion beyond a fever does NOT prevent or reduce spread for HFM. The following statement is copied/pasted from state health dept. for exclusion rule

“Childcare and School: Until fever is gone and child is well enough to participate in routine activities (sores or rash may still be present). Exclusion will not reduce transmission, as some children may shed the virus without showing symptoms, and other children who become ill may shed the virus for weeks in the stool.
This is the kind of stuff I am getting from my research. None of the moms yet have asked about attending tomorrow yet so I haven’t had to give an answer yet. Maybe exclude the 10 month old another day or two if sores in mouth are affecting his feeding like they were yesterday just on the basis that I don’t want a crabby kid. If that’s even why he was not eating, he’s so hard to get a decent look in his mouth.
Leigh 01:18 PM 06-26-2018

I was assuming that she was asking about the child coming right back to daycare with fever and active sores. I do still exclude until sores are scabbed over, though, because that is what my pediatrician recommended to me (and most all of my parents use the same doctor, so he tells them this already. He is extra cautious about sick kids at my daycare because my immune-comprimised, fragile twins are his patients, as well. He urges parents to keep them home more than. Any other ped. In town).
storybookending 02:16 PM 06-26-2018
I was assuming that she was asking about the child coming right back to daycare with fever and active sores. I do still exclude until sores are scabbed over, though, because that is what my pediatrician recommended to me (and most all of my parents use the same doctor, so he tells them this already. He is extra cautious about sick kids at my daycare because my immune-comprimised, fragile twins are his patients, as well. He urges parents to keep them home more than. Any other ped. In town).
Oh no fevers are gone and I already have a policy that fevers need to be under 101 without meds for 24 hours after returning to daycare. I don’t care the reason for the fever to be honest. As for the HFM from the sounds of it the 2 year olds case was/is very mild but I haven’t seen pics or anything. The 10 month old had an awful diaper rash that the parents just assumed was a regular diaper rash bc neither had ever seen a diaper rash and only got concerned when I told them the blister like appearance of it wasn’t a normal diaper rash. He had shots last week Wednesday and has also been trying new foods so there were a number of things to consider. Mom said he has/had two spots on his foot and the diaper area is still pretty bad but fever broke on Sunday.
Ac114 11:16 AM 06-27-2018
Dad drops off DCB at 2:15pm today. Right in the middle of nap time. When my day would have ended at 4 is now ending at 5:30. Im so pissed.
amberrose3dg 11:18 AM 06-27-2018
Dad drops off DCB at 2:15pm today. Right in the middle of nap time. When my day would have ended at 4 is now ending at 5:30. Im so pissed.
Did you know he was dropping off that late? I would be too. Ugh
Unregistered 11:34 AM 06-27-2018
These children. I have a playroom full of toys. So many choices. Even enough to rotate things. During "free play" (while I make lunch or do dishes) they have free choice of toys. Every single day they choose the same darn box of Duplo Legos. Every darn day. Sometimes I take it away for a week, just so they have to choose something different. As soon as it returns, back to Legos, all day, every day. As soon as we finish the "preschool" part of our morning, it's "can i get the legos out?"
It wouldn't bother me so much if there weren't constant arguments about who gets the wheels, how long he's had the wheels, I want that piece, etc. And, they build the exact same stuff - every day. Makes me want to scream.
That's all.
Josiegirl 02:46 PM 06-27-2018
I had lots of fun at yard sales last weekend, found some really cool stuff and was so excited for Monday morning to come so I could share my treasures with the dcks.

WTH was I thinking? Cool new stuff always causes problems because kids want it all for themselves and if anyone even looks at the toys, all he!! breaks loose.
Ac114 07:09 AM 06-28-2018
DCF went on vacation to Florida and got back yesterday. They asked before they left if they had to pay for the week and of course they did. DCB 2.5 was not supposed to come at all this week until they were told they had to pay, so he’s here today and tomorrow. He did not go on vacation with them and was left with their neighbor. Guess who is still off for the rest of the week and DCB is here? Like you didn’t miss your child while you were gone for 5 days?
Josiegirl 10:22 AM 06-28-2018
Grrrr 21 mo dcg climbed out of crib this a.m. so I tried putting her on a cot for nap time this afternoon. Nap will be over in 45 minutes and I finally put her back in the crib, watching her every second. Knew this day would come sooner than later. I've tried a cot with her before, gave it a few weeks and she just would not settle down. After dealing with her sister all morning, I NEED QUIET TIME!!!!!
Josiegirl 10:23 AM 06-28-2018
DCF went on vacation to Florida and got back yesterday. They asked before they left if they had to pay for the week and of course they did. DCB 2.5 was not supposed to come at all this week until they were told they had to pay, so he’s here today and tomorrow. He did not go on vacation with them and was left with their neighbor. Guess who is still off for the rest of the week and DCB is here? Like you didn’t miss your child while you were gone for 5 days?
Wow, that's one of THE saddest things I've heard in quite awhile.
Vesta 10:32 AM 06-28-2018
"Don't make me dump this plate of food over."
Why no, I will not make you dump that plate of food over almost 5 DCG, but I will make you lay down on your cot since you are obviously experiencing some sort of sleep deprevation psychosis.
2 more weeks then adios!
Pestle 10:51 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Vesta:
"Don't make me dump this plate of food over."
Why no, I will not make you dump that plate of food over almost 5 DCG, but I will make you lay down on your cot since you are obviously experiencing some sort of sleep deprevation psychosis.
2 more weeks then adios!
Do you think the parents use that threatening "It's your fault if I punish you in this way" phrase? "Don't make me count to 10" kinda thing?
Vesta 11:33 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Do you think the parents use that threatening "It's your fault if I punish you in this way" phrase? "Don't make me count to 10" kinda thing?
Probably. She also has older siblings that sound like they are a huge handful. Lots of little threats today.
amberrose3dg 12:11 PM 06-28-2018
This is why I do not like certain parents
That poor kid. I have a boy his parents left with grandma so they could vacation alone. Sent him to daycare all week. Then they got back and sent him to daycare instead of spending any time with him.
Ac114 11:55 AM 07-09-2018
Why don’t parents teach their kids that they sit at the table while the eat instead of literally doing anything but sitting on their bottoms? Every child in my care except mine tries to get up at some point to dance, walk in the living room, basically anything but sit at the table. It’s driving me crazy!
Josiegirl 02:37 AM 07-10-2018
ARGH Mad at myself and at dcg.
I have a bunch of soft balls over a gate that the dcks have to ask to play with because well, they're balls and it's inside the house. So after lunch dcb asked if he could have a ball to play with, I said sure, as long as you don't throw it in the air. I said it like 3 times. I was cleaning up the 2 little ones and almost done and dcb comes running into the kitchen, telling me dcg threw the ball, hit the ceiling fan, it fell. Well, this kid is a constant tattler so I went in, assuming he'd over-dramatized what happened. My fan was wobbling and a blade was on the floor. My fault; balls don't belong in the house(if we take them outside to play with my dogs pop them). But I figured telling a 4.5 and 5 yo to not throw them in the air........
*I said I'm sorry* she says. With her as long as she says sorry, then everything's just fine. I've been trying to tell her saying sorry is just part of anything she does. You can't constantly hit people and just say sorry. You can't do anything/everything you please, thinking sorry will make it all better.

Ugh, just a vent. Gonna be a long summer.
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 07-10-2018
ARGH Mad at myself and at dcg.
I have a bunch of soft balls over a gate that the dcks have to ask to play with because well, they're balls and it's inside the house. So after lunch dcb asked if he could have a ball to play with, I said sure, as long as you don't throw it in the air. I said it like 3 times. I was cleaning up the 2 little ones and almost done and dcb comes running into the kitchen, telling me dcg threw the ball, hit the ceiling fan, it fell. Well, this kid is a constant tattler so I went in, assuming he'd over-dramatized what happened. My fan was wobbling and a blade was on the floor. My fault; balls don't belong in the house(if we take them outside to play with my dogs pop them). But I figured telling a 4.5 and 5 yo to not throw them in the air........
*I said I'm sorry* she says. With her as long as she says sorry, then everything's just fine. I've been trying to tell her saying sorry is just part of anything she does. You can't constantly hit people and just say sorry. You can't do anything/everything you please, thinking sorry will make it all better.

Ugh, just a vent. Gonna be a long summer.
That age is tough.....

I am forever repeating "Don't TELL me; SHOW me" when the kids adapt a method of justifying bad behavior with a simple "Sorry". Sorry doesn't fix it. It's just the wrapping paper on the gift. If they (general they) are truly sorry they will assist fixing the situation and by changing their behavior in the future.

I'm sorry this happened. It seems like you fix one thing and something else is immediately "out of order"
amberrose3dg 09:45 AM 07-12-2018
That age is tough.....

I am forever repeating "Don't TELL me; SHOW me" when the kids adapt a method of justifying bad behavior with a simple "Sorry". Sorry doesn't fix it. It's just the wrapping paper on the gift. If they (general they) are truly sorry they will assist fixing the situation and by changing their behavior in the future.

I'm sorry this happened. It seems like you fix one thing and something else is immediately "out of order"
First day back from 10 days off. My assistant comes in and tells me how she needs to leave early cause her boyfriend got arrested. I mean come on she got almost extra week off cause she "mixed" up my vacation dates and booked plane tickets that were nonrefundable.
Guys I'm so done. Few more weeks and I'm going to only before and after care.
Cat Herder 12:33 PM 07-19-2018
I just splashed myself with boiling water when my right hand just stopped working suddenly while transferring a 2.5 gallon pot to the sink. My cheekbone, temple and inner elbow got the worst of it. Looks to be mostly 1st with a few small spots of 2nd. I have already stopped the burn so look like a drowned rat with too much cheek blush.

My DH is passed out in the bedroom from outpatient surgery and I have 4 littles under 2.

I am going to be purdy tomorrow.
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 07-19-2018
I just splashed myself with boiling water when my right hand just stopped working suddenly while transferring a 2.5 gallon pot to the sink. My cheekbone, temple and inner elbow got the worst of it. Looks to be mostly 1st with a few small spots of 2nd. I have already stopped the burn so look like a drowned rat with too much cheek blush.

My DH is passed out in the bedroom from outpatient surgery and I have 4 littles under 2.

I am going to be purdy tomorrow.
Oh my goodness!

So glad to hear you are ok but wow! Crazy how quickly things can happen.... I know you know what you are doing as far as medical attention etc but please please don't try to be "okay" too much if you aren't....

Cat Herder 12:52 PM 07-19-2018
Oh my goodness!

So glad to hear you are ok but wow! Crazy how quickly things can happen.... I know you know what you are doing as far as medical attention etc but please please don't try to be "okay" too much if you aren't....

Thank you.

The spots still look pretty good right now. I only have another hour and a half so if that changes I can run out.

Grateful my ponytail saved my neck.
Annalee 01:29 PM 07-19-2018
Thank you.

The spots still look pretty good right now. I only have another hour and a half so if that changes I can run out.

Grateful my ponytail saved my neck.
Take care of yourself!!!!
Cat Herder 02:03 PM 07-19-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Take care of yourself!!!!
I am. Thank you.

I am down to one infant, now. A couple spots look like they are not going to blister after all.

The most worrisome spot is less than the circumference of a dime, now. It is shiny, white/grey and crepey. On my cheekbone, just under the corner of my left eye and temple. The area around it is pretty sore and red but it does not hurt, yet. I know how to care for it. It should not be too bad at all once it heals.

Dinner is ready, so hopefully the drama is over for the night.
Josiegirl 02:12 PM 07-19-2018
I am. Thank you.

I am down to one infant, now. A couple spots look like they are not going to blister after all.

The most worrisome spot is less than the circumference of a dime, now. It is shiny, white/grey and crepey. On my cheekbone, just under the corner of my left eye and temple. The area around it is pretty sore and red but it does not hurt, yet. I know how to care for it. It should not be too bad at all once it heals.

Dinner is ready, so hopefully the drama is over for the night.
Oh No!! Not a good thing to have happen. I know you know what you're doing. Just know I'm thinking of you. No pain worse than a burn. And tell hubby he needs to hurry up and get better, YOU need to be taken care of too.
Baby Beluga 02:08 PM 07-20-2018
CH, how are you today?
Cat Herder 03:56 PM 07-20-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
CH, how are you today?
Doing good. Only one blister the size of a dime.

Thanks.
Josiegirl 02:27 AM 07-24-2018
Argh!!!! 4 1/2 yo bit my 5 yo yesterday.
5 yo had jumped on top of 4 yo and he bit her. They're both extremely physical with each other. When I told 4 yo's mom, she said 'wow, he hasn't bit in a long time'. He's been here 11 months and has never bitten anyone but she said he used to bite at his previous dc.
I came right out and told him and dcm that at 4 1/2, he needs to tell others how he feels and what he needs/wants, rather than bite someone.
Other than that, it wasn't a bad Monday after being off 4 days.
LysesKids 09:56 AM 07-24-2018
I knew about this Friday from friends of mine... what pisses me off was the lady had been told to close down for illegally running a childcare (stating she was licensed, but she wasn't) & I was getting calls from her clients for interviews these past few weeks. Now this family has lost their twin babies
Josiegirl 10:01 AM 07-24-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I knew about this Friday from friends of mine... what pisses me off was the lady had been told to close down for illegally running a childcare (stating she was licensed, but she wasn't) & I was getting calls from her clients for interviews these past few weeks. Now this family has lost their twin babies
Can't begin to imagine the heartache of the parents.
LysesKids 10:09 AM 07-24-2018
Can't begin to imagine the heartache of the parents.
What's worse is how many kids she actually had even as far back as January when she was first being investigated... different news story
Ac114 05:31 AM 07-25-2018
Same family that I changed my hours because they are here until 6pm brings their child who is visibly sick but dads off work. Guess who got a phone 10 minutes later to pick up. Like wth people. Green snot, coughing, red flushed cheeks. I don’t even need to take a temp because you can see he is not feeling well.
amberrose3dg 06:46 AM 07-25-2018
Same family that I changed my hours because they are here until 6pm brings their child who is visibly sick but dads off work. Guess who got a phone 10 minutes later to pick up. Like wth people. Green snot, coughing, red flushed cheeks. I don’t even need to take a temp because you can see he is not feeling well.
Did he come pick up?
Ac114 09:10 AM 07-25-2018
Did he come pick up?
Yes but it took them 45 minutes. And he was not happy about it. You could tell in his deamenor and the fact that he was short with me. Oh well dude, your kid is sick and doesn’t belong in care today.
amberrose3dg 09:14 AM 07-25-2018
Yes but it took them 45 minutes. And he was not happy about it. You could tell in his deamenor and the fact that he was short with me. Oh well dude, your kid is sick and doesn’t belong in care today.
It must suck having to be a parent.
Blackcat31 09:40 AM 07-25-2018
He's mad at you for calling in regards to his sick child? priceless

Doesn't help now but my policies state that when I call for pick up, the parent has x amount of time to get here until late fees ($1 per minute) begin accruing. How much time you allow is dependent on your area. All my families work within 15 minutes of my daycare facility so I allow 30 minutes before I begin adding late fees.
Ac114 10:18 AM 07-25-2018
He's mad at you for calling in regards to his sick child? priceless

Doesn't help now but my policies state that when I call for pick up, the parent has x amount of time to get here until late fees ($1 per minute) begin accruing. How much time you allow is dependent on your area. All my families work within 15 minutes of my daycare facility so I allow 30 minutes before I begin adding late fees.
That’s a good idea! I always say you have an hour to come get your child if I call for pickup and I’ve never had an issue with it but with this family. Half the time they don’t answer their phone if I call and respond 2 hours later like sorry busy at work. I’m just over them.
amberrose3dg 10:27 AM 07-25-2018
That’s a good idea! I always say you have an hour to come get your child if I call for pickup and I’ve never had an issue with it but with this family. Half the time they don’t answer their phone if I call and respond 2 hours later like sorry busy at work. I’m just over them.
Are they the ones that send the kid to the neighbors too? See these are the parents that bug the s!@# out of me.
Ac114 10:48 AM 07-25-2018
Are they the ones that send the kid to the neighbors too? See these are the parents that bug the s!@# out of me.
Yes!!!! I can’t handle them and their lack of parenting. Anytime he is sick they act so bothered that they have to take off work. They asked if they could bring him when he had RSV over the winter. 😱😱 like no! He can not be here!
Josiegirl 02:21 PM 07-25-2018
Dcg 5 yo, acting very tired and grumpy all morning long, we lay down for quiet time and all she does is talk to herself the whole time. As soon as everybody wakes up, she drags her blankets and pillow into the living room to sleep on the floor. Haha, that's what you think. Ain't gonna happen!!!
Cat Herder 11:41 AM 07-30-2018
I am ready to fill my last slot now that new baby holds bottle. I posted an opening for a 2-3 year old. I immediately got an inquiry from care.com for a 2 year old boy.

1. That is the age I want. +1
2. I would prefer male as I am female heavy. +1
3. They can only afford $125 per week. -1
4. That is $10 less per week than I charge. -1
5. Their pick-up time is 1 hour earlier than my closing time. +1
6. The next on my wait list is a 3 month old, others 4+yrs. = Winner, winner, chicken dinner for the 2 year old.

Then I scroll to the bottom to schedule a tour and see:

4+ kids - No. Surely that can't be....

"8 month old daughter, 2 year old son, 3 year old daughter, twin 4 year old son's."

She wants me to keep 5 kids for $125 week. Period. Not each child. And. She. Was. Serious.

Facepalm.

How does she think I earn my living?
Annalee 11:46 AM 07-30-2018
I am ready to fill my last slot now that new baby holds bottle. I posted an opening for a 2-3 year old. I immediately got an inquiry from care.com for a 2 year old boy.

6. The next on my wait list is a 3 month old, others 4+yrs. = Winner, winner, chicken dinner for the 2 year old.

"8 month old daughter, 2 year old son, 3 year old daughter, twin 4 year old son's."

She wants me to keep 5 kids for $125 week. Period. Not each child. And. She. Was. Serious.

Facepalm.

oh my goodness!!!!!!
Blackcat31 11:47 AM 07-30-2018
You do this as a job!?!

I thought you just loved kids. ALOT!
amberrose3dg 12:10 PM 07-30-2018

Facepalm.

holy crap 5 kids including an infant for 125 a week? Next she will say it is for a month.
Cat Herder 12:39 PM 07-30-2018
holy crap 5 kids including an infant for 125 a week? Next she will say it is for a month.
With 5 kids, I can't think of a job that would pay enough to afford full-time childcare. At least not without a Doctorate or three.

I'd be committed to staying home and being broke. I would only be able to keep 1 DCK for pay and stay legally in ratio.
Cat Herder 12:51 PM 07-30-2018
You do this as a job!?!

I thought you just loved kids. ALOT!
So much.

My DH works 6 jobs so I can enjoy my luxury time don'tcha know?
Tags:social media, vent
First ... 36 44 45 46 47 48 56  ... Last
Reply Up