Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Price Negotiable???
Homebody 12:36 PM 06-06-2018
Somebody asked if my rate was negotiable. No its not, and its already on the low side for our area.

This is on a facebook post in a swap and shop group. I dont normally put my rates in ads, but things have been slow with interviews, and I'm trying to fill my last two openings. I thought I would try putting the rate in to see if it would increase any interest, and within 10 minutes of posting I get asked this.

I'm not interested in interviewing the person who asked because if she is already asking for a lower price who knows what else she might expect as a client. I just don't want to scare off any potential interest from other people if they see the reply. What would be a good reply? Just a simple "No"?
storybookending 12:44 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
Somebody asked if my rate was negotiable. No its not, and its already on the low side for our area.

This is on a facebook post in a swap and shop group. I dont normally put my rates in ads, but things have been slow with interviews, and I'm trying to fill my last two openings. I thought I would try putting the rate in to see if it would increase any interest, and within 10 minutes of posting I get asked this.

I'm not interested in interviewing the person who asked because if she is already asking for a lower price who knows what else she might expect as a client. I just don't want to scare off any potential interest from other people if they see the reply. What would be a good reply? Just a simple "No"?
Did the person mean to ask that? I know in those Facebook groups they have “quick add” questions .. “is this still available” “is the price negotiable” etc and they are so easy to click on accident. Was a comment a stand-alone or was it asked with other information?
Homebody 12:52 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Did the person mean to ask that? I know in those Facebook groups they have “quick add” questions .. “is this still available” “is the price negotiable” etc and they are so easy to click on accident. Was a comment a stand-alone or was it asked with other information?
That was all she asked. I don't know if it was accident. I'm just assuming she wants to know.
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 06-06-2018
I would have replied with something like:

"Why yes, they are negotiable. You can choose to pay $175 per week via cash, check, direct deposit or money order on the Friday prior to care or you can choose to pay in cash $205 on Monday morning at drop off. Your choice!"

That's about as negotiable as I can be....
Homebody 01:17 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have replied with something like:

"Why yes, they are negotiable. You can choose to pay $175 per week via cash, check, direct deposit or money order on the Friday prior to care or you can choose to pay in cash $205 on Monday morning at drop off. Your choice!"

That's about as negotiable as I can be....
I love this reply! If it were by email or phone call where other people wouldn't see or hear perhaps . I just don't want to be too sassy with a response on fb where others will see. I'm trying really hard to get my last spots filled...kwim
boy_mom 01:24 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
If it were by email or phone call where other people wouldn't see or hear perhaps . I just don't want to be too sassy with a response on fb where others will see. I'm trying really hard to get my last spots filled...kwim
You could write " Hi Susie Q, thanks for your response! I will send you a private message!" That's way you can determine if it was an accidental reply like pp suggested!
Ariana 02:11 PM 06-06-2018
The best way to avoid the question aould be to add “non negotiable” after your fee!

I would simply say:
“My fee is non negotiable but here are some things included in my fee:
-Warm loving environment
-Outside play in a huge fenced yard
-Arts and crafts time
-Circle time
-Nutritious snacks and lunch each day

Feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have
Homebody 02:16 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
You could write " Hi Susie Q, thanks for your response! I will send you a private message!" That's way you can determine if it was an accidental reply like pp suggested!
This is a good suggestion, but it might make others think that the price is negotiable.
Homebody 02:19 PM 06-06-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
The best way to avoid the question aould be to add “non negotiable” after your fee!

I would simply say:
-Warm loving environment
-Arts and crafts time
-Circle time

I really like this response. Its very positive. Thank you for suggesting it. And good idea about adding non negotiable.
storybookending 07:27 PM 06-06-2018
Someone near me is selling these snowshoes. When I click the post to see more information all of these “quick add” blue bubbles pop up and if you bump one it automatically posts it. I see at least a couple of these a day on for sale posts.

Did you respond?
Attached: AE90ACBF-1BB3-4766-A823-EECB48125DCE.jpg (77.8 KB) 
Homebody 05:38 AM 06-07-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Someone near me is selling these snowshoes. When I click the post to see more information all of these “quick add” blue bubbles pop up and if you bump one it automatically posts it. I see at least a couple of these a day on for sale posts.

Did you respond?
I've never seen those before. Thanks for sharing. Its something to keep in mind if I get another response like that.

I responded with something similar to what the pp suggested, and haven't gotten a reply back.
Jdy2222 08:07 AM 06-07-2018
It's a facebook thing, an option when I'm on my phone. I constantly click the stupid buttons by accident.

I would respond, if it's on a fb post just to provide more info about why your daycare is so great and why your price is set, turning her probable thumb slip into a sales opportunity.
CityGarden 08:18 AM 06-07-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

I would simply say:
-Warm loving environment
-Arts and crafts time
-Circle time

This is how I have addressed it in the past. Once you have filled your spots be sure to go back and delete the entire thread that way if your rates change in future they are not listed in the group at the old rate.
hwichlaz 12:24 PM 06-07-2018
Those Facebook options send a private message though. At least on my phone and iPad.
storybookending 02:28 PM 06-07-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Those Facebook options send a private message though. At least on my phone and iPad.
They leave comments as well. I’ve only ever bumped it a couple of times and noticed soon enough to delete the comment.
Reply Up