Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Zoo Trip
DaveA 04:46 AM 08-10-2018
Today is the last day of summer break here. We always do a trip to the zoo before school starts. Kind of a "last gasp of summer". We stop on the way home and grab McD for lunch, so it's a favorite day in many ways. DCKs are already bouncing ready to go after breakfast.
amberrose3dg 04:56 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Today is the last day of summer break here. We always do a trip to the zoo before school starts. Kind of a "last gasp of summer". We stop on the way home and grab McD for lunch, so it's a favorite day in many ways. DCKs are already bouncing ready to go after breakfast.
Have fun! Our closest zoo is over an hour away. I wish I felt comfortable taking the kiddos that far. Our big trip is the farm and pumpkin patch.
DaveA 05:13 AM 08-10-2018
Our zoo is a great example of a small zoo knowing what it is. They keep things really simple. You can walk through it in a couple hours and get really close to the animals. We're about 2 hours from St Louis Zoo, which is phenomenal. Too far to do with DCKs unfortunately .
Jupadia 05:14 AM 08-10-2018
Lucky you, we have a great zoo here, a family membership it would cost me nothing extra to take my kids for the day but its 2 hours on the his each way (40 min drive in car / not happing) so that goes out the window.
Blackcat31 06:23 AM 08-10-2018
Sounds like a great way to wrap up summer!

Our schools here don't start until after Labor Day so we have a good amount of summer still ahead of us. I don't have SA kids but I do have 2 aging out and heading off to Kindy. They stagger starts for Kindergarten here though so they won't have their first full week of school until the second week in September.

Our closest zoo is an hour away too and it would be super fun to take the kiddos on an outing like that but I don't think I could handle being in the car that long with them.

Have a great field trip!
amberrose3dg 06:30 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Our zoo is a great example of a small zoo knowing what it is. They keep things really simple. You can walk through it in a couple hours and get really close to the animals. We're about 2 hours from St Louis Zoo, which is phenomenal. Too far to do with DCKs unfortunately .
I am 90 minutes from the DC zoo. That would be an awesome trip. I do not know how it would work though.
Pandaluver21 07:21 AM 08-10-2018
We don't go every year, but we have gone a couple of times. We are a little over an hour from the closest zoo, but the kids do great! Won't be making the trip this year, but hopefully we can next year!
LysesKids 08:02 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
I am 90 minutes from the DC zoo. That would be an awesome trip. I do not know how it would work though.
I can just see you trying to wrangle all the kids on the train now lol... of course, you could try to drive it, but that's still a crazy idea knowing that it costs a minimum $25 to park there. I think they do that to encourage Metro use which sucks way worse than ever even though they are working to fix issues.
sharlan 08:36 AM 08-10-2018
Enjoy! Our summer has just been too hot to hit the LA Zoo this year. We've hit a couple of little zoos but that's it.
amberrose3dg 09:51 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I can just see you trying to wrangle all the kids on the train now lol... of course, you could try to drive it, but that's still a crazy idea knowing that it costs a minimum $25 to park there. I think they do that to encourage Metro use which sucks way worse than ever even though they are working to fix issues.
Exactly! Orr's farm it is!
LysesKids 11:04 AM 08-10-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Exactly! Orr's farm it is!
It's the better option lol... haven't been there for awhile myself
storybookending 08:10 PM 08-10-2018
There is a small zoo in the town that I live in. It has improved since I was a child but I still cannot believe people drive hours to come to it. It helps that it is a free zoo. They had a grizzly bear when I was a child that lived 41 years. Typical age for a grizzly bear to live in captivity is 20 years. I remember visiting as a child and throwing her marshmallows. (You are NOT supposed to feed the animals, but everyone fed Miss Grizz). That bear was the definition of my childhood. My best friend had an apartment right across from the enterance and we would legit visit every single day. We became friends with the zookeeper and when her health started to decline she didn’t come outside much and we had brought along a friend who didn’t grow up in the area and was sick of us talking about a stupid bear that she had never met and she needed to see what the big deal was. The zookeeper let us go in back where no one got to go. The picture I’m attaching is dated August 30th. We got so close to her and got to say goodbye. The zoo closes annually every September. She died the following October. It’s kind of morbid but she meant so much to so many people they had her stuffed and she’s forever on display with a plaque telling her story outside the new bear enclosure.
Attached: 2CE26601-D27A-4287-8994-11BA5B2EC0D6.jpeg (68.1 KB) 
Tags:field trip - zoo, zoo
Reply Up