Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vacation
tjones34 08:01 AM 05-06-2013
I'm sure this has been a topic before about vacations. My fiance doesn't think its smart to have my vacations because I'm just opening and still trying to fill my spots. He has been very supportive through out this process but when it comes to me being off he feels i should work every day and take no days off or take vacation because it inconveniences the parents.
Thoughts anyone??
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 05-06-2013
On one hand I believe everyone deserves time off to relax and distress from their jobs. Especially child care providers because of the high stress level this field brings to our emotional well-being.

But on the other hand I can see where your DH is coming from. When I first opened, I was open for 12 hours a day and took NO sick days or vacation days and the ONLY time I was closed was major holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I didn't start building vacation days or days off into my schedule until probably 5-7 years after I opened. I really did feel as though I had to build my reputation and couldn't let my parents down as far as reliability and dependability went.

Looking back I feel there really could and SHOULD have been a happy medium. I think if you need personal days to spend with your family, you should take it. I think that you should also be able to reasonably be able to meet your clients needs and that amount of time is strictly personal for YOU and for your clients.

Only you know what you and your parents expect or view as excessive or not enough time off...kwim?

I think it is important for providers to not be connected to their jobs 100% of the time in order for you to be the best provider you can be. But I also think parents have a right to depend on you.

I am sorry I didn't answer your question but it really isn't a black and white situation. It is something you have to re-visit with every new group of families you have.

I think one of the biggest tings you need to consider when deciding how many vacation days to take is do your parents have back up, do they have days off and can you afford to give them and yourself time off?

I started building vacation and personal days off into my contracts about 5-7years in but didn't start charging for those days until atleast 10-15 yrs in.
JoseyJo 08:12 AM 05-06-2013
Vacations are VERY important (IMO) to keep from being burnt out. Most jobs give 2 weeks vacation and federal holidays paid. Parents need a break from their jobs and so do we!

I am in the midwest in a city. The majority of providers here get 2 weeks vacation and all federal holidays off. Some take them off paid and some do not. I take my 2 weeks vacation (1 in the spring, 1 in the fall) unpaid, but holidays are paid. (I take 8 total holiday days). If I am sick (never has happened in 4 years, but knock on wood!) they don't pay, if their child is absent for any reason (sick, vacation) they do pay. Our parents have never had a problem w/ the vacation time, and only very rarely have they complained about the holidays (parent had to work on that holiday and complained in passing, not enough to pull their child or anything)

All markets are different though, check around and see what providers in your area do, then you know what the market will allow!
NeedaVaca 08:13 AM 05-06-2013
You will burn out fast with no days off! I had my vacation/holidays in my contract from day one and it never stopped a family from signing with me. I can say this for a fact because so far I have never held an interview without the family wanting me as their provider. Paid vs unpaid is a whole other part of this and every provider has different thoughts on this but mine are paid.
CrackerJacks 08:18 AM 05-06-2013
This is how I built up to the vacation schedule I am at now, which I am very comfortable with.

1st year- no vacation, just a few selected holidays, but I did have 5 paid sick days which I used all of (I always got sick that year)

2nd year - one week non paid vacation, added 1-2 more paid holidays and the same 5 paid sick days (which I used less of)

3rd and 4th year - one week paid vacation, same holidays and 5 sick days (which I used less and less)

5th year- two weeks paid vacation. All holidays, 5 sick days, 5 half days (to be used for conferences or my own childrens school functions). I did not use them all and I only took 2 sick days

6th year (current) - two weeks paid vacation, all hołidays, 5 sick days and 5 1/2 days. This is what I am comfortable with and will most likely keep for the remainder of my career.

On another note: I always try to break up my vacation days and use them on weeks that may already have holidays, that way I never really go more than 2mo without getting a short break. I think that it's really helped. This can be a high stress career at times and its always important to just get a min to yourself. It's nice to get refreshed and come back to work excited and full of energy. I also rarely (knock on wood) get sick anymore.
tjones34 08:29 AM 05-06-2013
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I understand everyone's side, I feel like he thinks that I'm home therefore I shouldn't need any days off.
NeedaVaca 08:38 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by tjones34:
Thanks everyone, this was very helpful. I understand everyone's side, I feel like he thinks that I'm home therefore I shouldn't need any days off.
Yes, but you are home WORKING Let him walk a week in your shoes and he might change his mind
wdmmom 08:41 AM 05-06-2013
How long have you been in business?

The first year I opened, I had 5 days of vacation to take off.

I used the time wisely and opted to take a few long weekends. I took an extra day off over the 4th of July weekend to make it 5 days off (with a weekend), I took the Friday off before Labor Day and I took an extra day in between Christmas and New Years.

Now I get 10 paid vacation days per year. I usually take 6 days off in July and a the entire time off between Christmas and New Years.
EAP 08:51 AM 05-06-2013
My first year I took Thanksgiving and Christmas , July 4th etc. only major holidays off that I knew my clients would have off also. This year I have week of 4th of July and week of Christmas plus the major holidays - I also have 4 personal days built into my contract. I do have one employee and she comes 2-3 times a month for a few hours so I can have a break - I agree with PP you need down time !
2grls4us 08:54 AM 05-06-2013
I opened in Aug 2011 and did not take a vacation week until July 2012 I did however take scheduled holidays. I had only a couple of babies and I knew the mom's did not have leave as they just took 8-12 weeks off for maternity leave. Plus I too was trying to build my business and relationships with my daycare parents. I give a list of holidays that I intend to take at the first of the year or when a new child enrolls. I have in my contract that I will give 30 days notice before taking a full week off. I have only had to ask off 2 addtional days since I opened. I gave 30 days notice for one of those days, 2nd was my grandma's funeral and told them as soon as i had the services so they could make arrangements. Yes I got paid for those two days. My contract also states I will take one week paid in the summer and one week unpaid the wek of Christmas. I do try and work with the parents. I want my daycare to be somewhat different, I want the parents to think I'm providing "care" for them and thier kids not just running a business. However this also tends to make me feel taken advantage of at times.

How long have you been in business? How many children do you have? Have you spoken to the parents about what their vacation schedules?

I have found being open and honest is best.

Hope this helps.
tjones34 09:02 AM 05-06-2013
I only have 2 kids now. I just opened in February. I have been unofficially watching kids since 2008 until 2011. My parents are repeat parents from before I was licensed and they don't have a problem with my vacation schedule. I take vacation in June and December and parents are aware at the beginning of the process. I do a yearly calendar with my days and vacation days off that they receive along with all the paperwork and its in my handbook/contract. So if it's an issue they know before hand.

I told him I will go install cable for a week and he can stay home with the kids and see how he likes it.
melilley 11:21 AM 05-06-2013
I just opened in January of this year and when I opened, I put in my contract that I would have all major holidays off, 5 sick/personal/professional development days and one week a year-all paid. I also have one non paid vacation that I may or may not take off. And I give my families one week a year off that they don't have to pay tuition.
I have 4 full time and 2 part time kids enrolled so I am full and so far not one of the parents has complained. I make sure they know what all my paid days off are.
I did however feel guilty of having them pay for my vacation, but my husband actually said that they should and now I have to agree and I still feel funny telling parents that I have a paid vacation, but they all agreed to it.
Like pp's said, if you don't give yourself some time off, you will get burnt out! And most parents get time off so should you.
itlw8 11:39 AM 05-06-2013
You NEED time off. If he is serious that you do not need it he can take his vacation and work for you while you leave town for a week.

seriously start out following the rules and policies you plan to have.
I charge for my vacation but if a family just started a month or 2 before I say just this one time because you are new I am not charging you.
littlemissmuffet 12:31 PM 05-06-2013
It's not your hub's business, so it's not his decision

I highly recommend getting him to understand that you are not just sitting at home all day - that childcare is an extremely physically and emotionally demanding JOB. I know many of the women on this forum have very unsupportive husbands - but I often feel this is because the women allow it.

As for vacation - since day one I have always taken 2 weeks paid vacation, 5 sick/personal days and all statutory holidays (usually 10-13) every year - all paid and I have never once heard a complaint.

As long as you are giving out an annual schedule and informing parents of your vacation time during the interview process, you should be taking the time off you deserve and earned!
LaLa1923 12:38 PM 05-06-2013
I just opened in February also and I have 7 personal/sick, 11 holidays, and 2 weeks vacation. Both weeks are half pay.

You deserve it!!!
tjones34 11:23 AM 05-07-2013

Reply Up