Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No More Schoolers
melonieb 05:57 PM 01-15-2014
Well I tried my luck with having schoolers here at the daycare. I normally take children under 4 or not in school, but I decided I would try school age kids. Well that bit me in the rear. I am officially done with school age kids. Tired of the smart mouths, attitude, and just down right disrespectfulness. I am sticking with my infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Lesson quickly learned. Vent over
boysx5 03:55 AM 01-16-2014
I couldn't agree more I would always help out with older siblings but now I have just toddlers and infants. I would rather change a 100 diapers than put up with the talking back the constant wanting to eat and I'm bored all day.
melonieb 04:12 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by boysx5:425460:
I couldn't agree more I would always help out with older siblings but now I have just toddlers and infants. I would rather change a 100 diapers than put up with the talking back the constant wanting to eat and I'm bored all day.
You ain't kidding. I don't have enough activities to go for schoolers and all the want to do is watch tv all day. I don't do that, we have scheduled activities. I am so happy I am not the only one who feels this way.
Heidi 05:19 AM 01-16-2014
You are definitely not the only one. I've had some great SA's on the past, but at this point, the only ones I would consider is those that 'grew up" in my daycare. Since I don't live in the school district that my dc kids go to, though, at this point that's unlikely, the bus wont bring them here.
hope 05:45 AM 01-16-2014
I have stopped taking school age as well. It's sad bc I don't dislike that age. My Dd is school age and I love being able to do more advanced projects with her and wish I could do some of the same stuff at daycare.
Most sa kids now are so grown up. They have lost all their innocence. They are bored by everything, find pleasure in teasing and gossip and have become very materialistic. It's sa show these kids are growing up and completely skipping their childhood.
Cccdcia 05:52 AM 01-16-2014
I have 5 sa and you are so right always always hungry always bored I was letting them play games on my computer and of course it's messed up now ! 3 of them are girls so DRAMA all afternoon from when I pick up till mom picks up then they act like little angels blah !
Crazy8 06:58 AM 01-16-2014
I only take them in the mornings - its usually an hour at most and it goes quick and I never have problems with them. I don't have the space to take them after school because some of my f/t'ers come after the bus and I have to count SA'ers in my max of 5 daycare kids here. Not worth it to take them instead of a toddler!!!!
Kcole1075 07:49 AM 01-16-2014
This will be my last year of school age!!! I have three this year and it is not the attitude that is killing me it's the pick ups.

This is how our school district does buses, they only bus one mile from each school. I am only near one elementary and none of my kids go there. They also cut back on buses by making sure every school is about 45 min apart in pick up time. It would be nice if I didn't have all the other kids with me. It's not enough time to get everyone out and go home and if I take them to the park in between they only have 15 minutes to play. no more!!!!
melonieb 09:15 AM 01-16-2014
Right now I transport to two schools. Pick my two kids plus one and the head to the second school yo pick one kid. Also in tow are my babies. Glad I am down to one right now.
Lucy 11:21 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by melonieb:
Well I tried my luck with having schoolers here at the daycare. I normally take children under 4 or not in school, but I decided I would try school age kids. Well that bit me in the rear. I am officially done with school age kids. Tired of the smart mouths, attitude, and just down right disrespectfulness. I am sticking with my infants, toddlers, and preschoolers. Lesson quickly learned. Vent over
If you want to try again, try having your current kids that have been raised in your home, grow up to be school-agers. In other words, nobody ever "ages out" of your program.

My current school-agers ALL grew up here. That way, you have helped to mold their behavior. Whenever I have taken new kids who were already in school before they came to me (6 to 9 yrs old approx.), I have regretted it.

It's MUCH easier to have kids grow up with you. It's also fun to have them from newborn to about 11 yrs. They usually stay in contact, and sometimes we meet one of mine at the park in the summertime. It's awesome!
Tags:school age care
Reply Up