Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program
gumdrops 10:01 AM 03-26-2018
How does the food program work? Can anyone apply? Does everyone get the same reimbursement? I'm considering opening a Daycare Center and am trying to get as much info as I can before I approach my husband Thanks!
Play Care 10:12 AM 03-26-2018
My understanding is that all licensed child care can be on the program. I don't see how a center could operate without being on it, to be honest. The money is not insignificant.
Play Care 10:16 AM 03-26-2018
As to procedure to apply, I think it may vary by area and agency. But here I signed up and they look to see if you qualify for Tier 1 or Tier 2. Tier 1 is the higher reimbursement rate. Then you have to sign up the individual kids, fill out a menu (how you do this depends on where you are - some places its all electronic, we are still paper and pen ) and submit it monthly to get payment.
gumdrops 10:24 AM 03-26-2018
The center in our town has all the kids pack their lunch and another center has the food "catered" through the school system. I think packed lunches would be a pain warming up everyone's food separately. If you bring food in from a separate source, can you still claim it on the food program? Do most centers hire a separate cook? Is it worth paying someone to cook your food? Sorry, I know every situation is different, just trying to get an idea of what would make the most sense financially and what would be easiest. Also, do you have a separate cafeteria or does everyone eat in their classroom?
Play Care 10:58 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by gumdrops:
The center in our town has all the kids pack their lunch and another center has the food "catered" through the school system. I think packed lunches would be a pain warming up everyone's food separately. If you bring food in from a separate source, can you still claim it on the food program? Do most centers hire a separate cook? Is it worth paying someone to cook your food? Sorry, I know every situation is different, just trying to get an idea of what would make the most sense financially and what would be easiest. Also, do you have a separate cafeteria or does everyone eat in their classroom?
This really depends on your area. Most centers in my area have their own cook and kitchen. You do not get reimbursed in the families bring in their own food (I'm pretty sure), though I could order a pizza and get reimbursed so long as I made sure the full meal components were present (one vegetable, one fruit, milk)
I think some providers here did a meal service but I can't imagine that paying off. I shop and cook carefully so that I am making money off the program. Your best bet is to talk to the sponsoring agency in your area. They will guide you on the ins and outs.
gumdrops 11:03 AM 03-26-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This really depends on your area. Most centers in my area have their own cook and kitchen. You do not get reimbursed in the families bring in their own food (I'm pretty sure), though I could order a pizza and get reimbursed so long as I made sure the full meal components were present (one vegetable, one fruit, milk)
I think some providers here did a meal service but I can't imagine that paying off. I shop and cook carefully so that I am making money off the program. Your best bet is to talk to the sponsoring agency in your area. They will guide you on the ins and outs.
Thank you for all your input!
hwichlaz 03:03 PM 03-26-2018
When I had parents provide it was just like school. I opened them, and they ate them. I wasn’t preparing or cooking anything.
gumdrops 06:22 AM 03-28-2018
Am I understanding correctly that "For-Profit centers" are only eligible if a certain percentage of families are considered low income? The area I live in is average to high income and I doubt I would have much enrollment that is low income. Is there any way around this, or I am misunderstanding?
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 03-28-2018
Am I understanding correctly that "For-Profit centers" are only eligible if a certain percentage of families are considered low income? The area I live in is average to high income and I doubt I would have much enrollment that is low income. Is there any way around this, or I am misunderstanding?
What state are you in?
gumdrops 06:58 AM 03-28-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What state are you in?
I'm in Ohio
Blackcat31 07:10 AM 03-28-2018
I'm in Ohio
These links should be super helpful in finding out everything you need to know about CACFP in Ohio.

CACFP is a federal program but it seems each state and even each agency seems to manage things differently so I would contact this agency to get the correct information for your state.

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Oth...-Program-CACFP

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Oth...ased-Component
Tags:food program
Reply Up