Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing When Only Expecting 1 Child
MomBoss 07:45 AM 04-02-2018
Anyone close when they are only expecting one child?
I was thinking of adding that to my policy, one child can make a day long and doesnt really seem worth it to be open. Especially when its weather related. I thought maybe say at my disrection due to low numbers i may close and refund for the day.
storybookending 07:51 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I was thinking of adding that to my policy, one child can make a day long and doesnt really seem worth it to be open. Especially when its weather related. I thought maybe say at my disrection due to low numbers i may close and refund for the day.
I did last Monday, first day of Spring Break and I found out I was only expecting one child, would have probably been two as I could have taken older sister but since I knew my other families weren’t coming I just told mom I needed the day off. I didn’t even give a reason. I do not charge for days that I take off that are not contracted holidays.
Play Care 08:00 AM 04-02-2018
In the past I've done this when I've been open for a Federal Holiday but then wind up with no kids, or just one. I would do a sign up sheet with a three child minimum (or a two family minimum if one family had 3 kids) If not enough kids signed up I was closed.
For weather related issues I just close due to that. But I had an issue where a sick child could NOT be picked up due to bad roads/weather years ago. It really opened my eyes to a liability that most providers don't usually see.

All that said, if it's just a random day where I am open and wind up with one kid, I make it work. The others are paying also, so it's not as if I'm only getting paid for that one child.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:20 AM 04-02-2018
I don't usually travel with the dcks, but depending on what age the lone child is we do field trips. I also have my own kids (3 and 4) so that factors in as well. But those days are great for going to the playground, children's museum, library, etc... Thing we don't get to do on "normal" days.
Cat Herder 08:24 AM 04-02-2018
Not typically but my desire to would really depend on which child. It seems the "one child" attending on all school breaks is always "that" child, doesn't it?
hwichlaz 10:17 AM 04-02-2018
I pride myself on being dependable for my families. If they are working, it’s a normal day of operation for me, and the child is healthy....I’m here.

But i will let parents know that their child will be the only one here just in case they want to use other options that day.
daycarediva 10:22 AM 04-02-2018
3 kid minimum here.

ColorfulSunburst 10:25 AM 04-02-2018
I keep my daycare open. It doesn't matter how many kids are present. I don't follow my regular routine if I have 1-2-3 kids. For example, I can skip a circle time and order a pizza instead of cooking from scratch.
Rockgirl 10:33 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I keep my daycare open. It doesn't matter how many kids are present. I don't follow my regular routine if I have 1-2-3 kids. For example, I can skip a circle time and order a pizza instead of cooking from scratch.
Same for me. If I’m open, I’m open. I’ve had some really fun days with just one kid! They feel special on those days, too.
lovemykidstoo 10:45 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I pride myself on being dependable for my families. If they are working, it’s a normal day of operation for me, and the child is healthy....I’m here.

But i will let parents know that their child will be the only one here just in case they want to use other options that day.
Same here. I look at it this way, if I normally have 6 kids, but only 1 is coming, that's bonus! Getting paid for 6 and watching 1. I charge if they keep the kids home for whatever reason. I only do not charge if I close, so if I close because I only have 1 child, I'm out alot of money. Plus, that 1 parent still has to work, so I feel that's a hardship on them and they need to count on us.
LittleScholars 11:13 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
I don't have a set policy, but I do close when only 1-2 kiddos plan to attend at times. Around holidays I often end up with 1-2 kiddos planning to attend, but I know parents are off. I've closed a handful of times with that is the case because I know they can provide care and I don't take nearly enough days off. I've also done this when weather was bad and one parent was on the fence about sending their kiddo.
e.j. 11:35 AM 04-02-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:

Same here.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 04-02-2018
I too pride myself on my reliability but, there have been situations where I found I had only 1 child or family scheduled and ended up taking the day off.

I've NEVER left anyone without care (all families are required to have a reliable back up provider) though and always make sure it's not a big deal.

Most my families are great about it and all of them seem to understand that FCC providers don't often get unexpected days off so most are pretty happy to find alternative arrangements.

There have even been those times in which I will put up with something (from a family or child) just so I can use the "favor" later.
Tags:closing - one child, one child alone
Reply Up