Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Parent Is Sick...
Ac114 04:25 AM 04-10-2018
I know some of you guys have a sibling clause that states a child can not attend daycare when their sibling is out sick but what if their parent is sick? I have a family who routinely sends their child when either parent is sick with a fever, vomiting etc. and they always let me know at drop off and puts me in this awkward position. Like I don’t want your child here. I understand we all want to rest without having to take care of our child but that’s not reality. When DCM had the flu I did let them know that their child could not attend. I have 2 infants and the flu was so bad this year. She was not happy but oh well. Now she is sick again with a high fever and said I’ll drop off outside but I really don’t want the child here today.

Do any of you have a clause due to parents illnesses in your handbook?
Play Care 04:37 AM 04-10-2018
No I don't.
I remember those days of trying to rest/recover and still having to be "on" for own kids. No thanks.
Jo123ABC 05:27 AM 04-10-2018
I haven't turned away a kid because parents were sick but I've wanted to! I never thought about the sibling thing... I should add that to my policy! Illness is one of the most annoying parts of this job in my opinion. Constantly questioning yourself and parents get irritated and defensive and medicate their kids without telling you. Also, wanting providers to medicate for them. Honestly, if a kid is sick enough to need Tylenol or other meds for any reason (be it teething, shots, or virus) they shouldn't be at daycare.
kendallina 05:53 AM 04-10-2018
No, I don't. I like time and space to recover when I'm sick and I'd like to give my parents the same thing.
MelissaP 06:05 AM 04-10-2018
Honestly, I wouldn't either. I know that we can get sick and the children in our care can get sick from the children of the sick parent or sibling.. but most of the time, before the symptoms appear, they have been carrying around whatever bug it is for a while. So if you were going to get whatever they have or had, you already have it. It's just dormant at the present time.

Melissa
Blackcat31 06:12 AM 04-10-2018
I don't have a written rule or policy but I absolutely expect the parents to have some common courtesy.

If it's a cold or common stomach bug that is pretty unavoidable there isn't much anyone can do other than good hygiene and proper sanitizing etc but if its something more serious such as strep or pink eye or Influenza a or B (basically those things that are highly contagious and/or requiring antibiotics) then I do expect parents to keep the whole family home and not expose everyone.

There are times that I am more strict than others such as if I have a really young baby in care or during times in which we are simply struggling to stop an endless cycle of colds/coughs etc.

So basically, I do and don't require the family to all stay home. It literally depends on each situation.

I agree that when you are sick and not feeling well that it's hard to have to care for your child and get better at the same time but sometimes parents simply have to suck it up as there is no "off" button in parenting.
storybookending 07:53 AM 04-10-2018
I don’t. I would honestly rather have the child here than home with an infected parent or sibling just for them to turn around and be sick themselves a few days later.
hwichlaz 08:25 AM 04-10-2018
If child caught it first then shared with parents...I go out of my way to encourage sick parents to bring me their kids then go back home to rest.

If parents caught it first.....I cringe and take them anyway, but watch carefully for the first sign of illness.
Ac114 08:40 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
If child caught it first then shared with parents...I go out of my way to encourage sick parents to bring me their kids then go back home to rest.

If parents caught it first.....I cringe and take them anyway, but watch carefully for the first sign of illness.
This is usually how it goes. Parents caught it first, then child brings it here and everyone then gets sick. I know it’s unaviodable but I just cringe when I know someone in my house is about to get sick or even myself.
BrynleeJean 09:32 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have a written rule or policy but I absolutely expect the parents to have some common courtesy.

If it's a cold or common stomach bug that is pretty unavoidable there isn't much anyone can do other than good hygiene and proper sanitizing etc but if its something more serious such as strep or pink eye or Influenza a or B (basically those things that are highly contagious and/or requiring antibiotics) then I do expect parents to keep the whole family home and not expose everyone.

There are times that I am more strict than others such as if I have a really young baby in care or during times in which we are simply struggling to stop an endless cycle of colds/coughs etc.

So basically, I do and don't require the family to all stay home. It literally depends on each situation.

I agree that when you are sick and not feeling well that it's hard to have to care for your child and get better at the same time but sometimes parents simply have to suck it up as there is no "off" button in parenting.
How do you approach those situations? this is a good point. one hand I don't get a break . period . if my kids are sick i may close but i don't have a care provider to watch them for me so i feel no pity, i have bad up meals in the freezer and nap times to help like most i guess. but what about the parent who comes over acting like its our job to take care of their kid because we are paid to, and we've just reached that point of, okay this cycle has to end or whatever. if its not in the policies it may create conflict. what exactly do you say to avoid conflict to get parents to take off and stay home with kids for our preventative measures without a policy to back it up.
Country Kids 09:41 AM 04-10-2018
Right now I'm battling something and have been sick since last week. No one has been sick but a couple parents, all the kids are fine. I tried to rest over the weekend but it didn't help and now debating to go to the doctor but probably nothing they can do. So ready for a job with sick time built in and I don't feel guilty for taking it.
CityGarden 10:06 AM 04-10-2018

Ditto!!!!
Blackcat31 10:29 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
How do you approach those situations? this is a good point. one hand I don't get a break . period . if my kids are sick i may close but i don't have a care provider to watch them for me so i feel no pity, i have bad up meals in the freezer and nap times to help like most i guess. but what about the parent who comes over acting like its our job to take care of their kid because we are paid to, and we've just reached that point of, okay this cycle has to end or whatever. if its not in the policies it may create conflict. what exactly do you say to avoid conflict to get parents to take off and stay home with kids for our preventative measures without a policy to back it up.
I am lucky as I am in that spot in this profession where most my families are long term families so the working relationship is non-stop and continuous.

If someone (DCK or their parent) is coming down with something it's mentioned early on and "what will we do tomorrow" or "If this gets worse" type of conversations happen daily.

I also use the 24/48 hour rule and more than anything that policy impacts whether a child attends when not feeling very well more than anything.

It also helps alot that almost all my parents are the same age or younger than my own kids...
daycarediva 11:01 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
No I don't.
I remember those days of trying to rest/recover and still having to be "on" for own kids. No thanks.
right. Worst days ever for both myself and my children.

Same.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am lucky as I am in that spot in this profession where most my families are long term families so the working relationship is non-stop and continuous.

If someone (DCK or their parent) is coming down with something it's mentioned early on and "what will we do tomorrow" or "If this gets worse" type of conversations happen daily.

I also use the 24/48 hour rule and more than anything that policy impacts whether a child attends when not feeling very well more than anything.

It also helps alot that almost all my parents are the same age or younger than my own kids...
same here. I am the older than a couple grandparents. Which is seriously saying something.

I am really up front, so I have those talks. I TELL them "Hey, I know you're not feeling good, hope you feel better soon! I am concerned with the children getting sick of course, so please keep Jr home at even the SLIGHTEST chance (even outline- clear runny nose even, didn't eat dinner, etc)
Play Care 11:16 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
Not BC, but I have a strict illness policy and have no issue calling for and insisting on pick ups. We *rarely* have illness run rampant through day care because of this.

I have said before that it's no ones job but my own to give me a break. So I take 3 weeks of vacation, all the Federal holidays and give myself 5-7 paid sick/personal days each year. Once I started taking care of me, I found I didn't feel as "used" as I previously had.

I do wonder if maybe you are having this issue with a particular parent and not all your clients, it might be best to start interviewing and let them go?
Ac114 11:39 AM 04-10-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Not BC, but I have a strict illness policy and have no issue calling for and insisting on pick ups. We *rarely* have illness run rampant through day care because of this.

I have said before that it's no ones job but my own to give me a break. So I take 3 weeks of vacation, all the Federal holidays and give myself 5-7 paid sick/personal days each year. Once I started taking care of me, I found I didn't feel as "used" as I previously had.

I do wonder if maybe you are having this issue with a particular parent and not all your clients, it might be best to start interviewing and let them go?
It’s just this one family and they are part time and goes to grandmas 2 days a week so I guess it rubs me a little more. Every other parent has kept their child home if they are not feeling well. I don’t if it’s out of courtesy or just not wanting to get dressed to drive their child over here 😂
lblanke 08:22 PM 04-10-2018
If you say you are not going to provide care when the parents are sick, I bet a lot stop telling you that they are sick if their child is well.
lovemykidstoo 08:12 AM 04-11-2018
I have never excluded due to a sibling or parent illness. If the child is showing no signs of illness I take them. Most of the time you are exposed before the family even realizes they have it and you are even more exposed to what's going around when you go to the store, the mall, the movies etc. If I excluded kids when parents were sick, I'd never have kids. Seems like my parents are more sick than the kids.
Ariana 11:02 AM 04-11-2018
I only exclude for symptoms for the chikd attending. The bottom line for me is that not everyone catches what other people get. Even if the parent is home with a fever or vomitting does not mean the kids will get it. Also people are contagious well before they show symptoms so there is very little you can do to prevent illness besides manage your own health and stress.

Last month my daughter got FluB and Strep, I got strep, my husband got FluB. My youngest daughter got nothing and none of the daycare kids got any of it! My daughter had undiagnosed strep for 3 days and the beginning if FluB while the daycare kids were here and was playing with them and my youngest daughter normally. I have also had kids go home with fevers that never spread to anyone else and have had siblings at home vomitting and the other kid got nothing! This is why my illness policy only excludes for symptoms.
Edwardy 11:43 PM 02-01-2021
I will tell you about our daycare center. My kid goes to a children care Brooklyn. They work even during the Covid. But they follow all the strict rules to prevent a virus from spreading. For example, the daycare providers do not allow parents to come in. They meet children at the entrance door and say bye to the parents. They check kids' health conditions including the temperature. Of course, they do not allow sick children to come. Some parents did not like those methods at first. We can understand them. They can't afford to cancel a job and so on. But I really appreciate everything our daycare does for our kids. I wish every parent understood the importance of those actions.
Tags:2018, sick parent
Reply Up