Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spitting Out Water All Over
Unregistered 11:56 AM 04-19-2018
I have a spitter. I make sure all drinks are taken in the kitchen but my one two year old keeps filling her mouth and just lets it all out. Soaks herself repeatedly during the day bib or no bib. In the highchair or out. Im getting annoyed with cleaning up the floors and having soaked highchairs and drying shirts 2 or 3 times a day. What is a good method for stopping this?
Play Care 12:37 PM 04-19-2018
I have a 1 year old spitter now. Drinks are only in the high/booster chair and only very small amounts at a time (a tablespoon or so) so there's no soaking. I also have no problem saying "No" to water when it's clear they are playing and not thirsty.
I'm not one who buys in to the idea that we constantly need to be sucking down water either though.
Jo123ABC 10:37 PM 04-19-2018
My 21 mo. Old does this occassionally. I say "no" and take his cup away every time! I give it back if he asks but take it away instantly if he does it again and won't offer after that. I also have the type of bibs that are rubbery with a pocket and that helps with clean-up a ton! I think it's a phase some kids have. He's pretty much over it now and hasn't been doing it long.
lovemykidstoo 04:27 AM 04-20-2018
Curious as to if this child does this at home. I would honestly take the water away on the first time. I agree, water is not critical. Does this child do it with milk?
Jupadia 05:26 AM 04-20-2018
My son who's just over 2 has started this. He so far has only split water out but has taken to swishing his drinks sometimes around in his mouth. If he spits I take the drink away. He will cry but I ignore it.
Play Care 05:32 AM 04-20-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Curious as to if this child does this at home. I would honestly take the water away on the first time. I agree, water is not critical. Does this child do it with milk?
Also key. If they are not doing it with milk or juice then you know what the problem is...
KSDC 07:17 AM 04-20-2018
Check your regs before you stop offering water. Here in Kansas our regs say something to the effect that water must always be available to the children.

I would do the same as PP - give very small amounts at a time. Right now, this is just fun. DCK is probably enjoying the reaction. This to shall pass.
Pestle 08:32 AM 04-20-2018
I give an ounce at a time, or even less, to kids who do this. If they soak themselves, I leave them wet unless we're going out where it's cold or I'm about to put them down for a nap. They need to understand that they are the primary victim of this behavior.
Reply Up