Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So, This Is A New One - WTH
lovemykidstoo 11:37 AM 04-30-2018
So mom of 8 month old comes today and once again told me what she is giving her baby to knaw on. A carrot! She told me the same thing a couple of weeks ago and I voiced my opinion. He has 4 front teeth. Two on top, two on bottom. Why would you let him knaw on a carrot? She came in today and said he was knawing on one yesterday and a piece broke off and she fished it out of his mouth. I am blown away. Does she really want him to choke? What is wrong with people?
happymom 11:39 AM 04-30-2018
I did it with my own kids.
lovemykidstoo 11:41 AM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
Really? You weren't worried about pieces breaking off like how his did and choking?
Unregistered 11:45 AM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
So mom of 8 month old comes today and once again told me what she is giving her baby to knaw on. A carrot! She told me the same thing a couple of weeks ago and I voiced my opinion. He has 4 front teeth. Two on top, two on bottom. Why would you let him knaw on a carrot? She came in today and said he was knawing on one yesterday and a piece broke off and she fished it out of his mouth. I am blown away. Does she really want him to choke? What is wrong with people?
Just take it away from baby when she leaves....it's not like she is demanding you feed him this stuff.
happymom 11:47 AM 04-30-2018
Really? You weren't worried about pieces breaking off like how his did and choking?
I didn't see him capable of biting like an entire piece of carrot (choking size) off. But little small pieces would come off and he could either spit them out of swallow them whole.
lovemykidstoo 11:50 AM 04-30-2018
I didn't see him capable of biting like an entire piece of carrot (choking size) off. But little small pieces would come off and he could either spit them out of swallow them whole.
I was concerned because she said he bit off a decent size piece and she had to fish it out of his mouth. He barely handles cheerios right now because she's wanted to solely breastfeed, so I was surprised by this.
happymom 12:11 PM 04-30-2018
I was concerned because she said he bit off a decent size piece and she had to fish it out of his mouth. He barely handles cheerios right now because she's wanted to solely breastfeed, so I was surprised by this.
It's really all subjective, but my kids never bit off more than they could safely swallow when they were learning to eat.
tenderhearts 12:25 PM 04-30-2018
They have those teething net things you can put them in if concerned about chocking but it's really good for teething.
lovemykidstoo 12:29 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
They have those teething net things you can put them in if concerned about chocking but it's really good for teething.
I'm not going to give it to him here. Mom gives it to him at home. I'm going to tell her about the net thing. Just the comments about fishing pieces out of his mouth makes me nervous. Like I said, he really isn't even eating anything solid yet. Barely cheerios.
Play Care 12:47 PM 04-30-2018
My one DCM did this with her now 2 yo. She is the BEST eater in my bunch. Baby led weaning with NO purees, cereals, etc. But, she completely understood why I wasn't comfortable with certain foods and only supplied things that weren't hard (apples, carrots, etc)

I wish I were brave enough to do this type of weaning with my other day care kids. Maybe then they would eat actual food instead of sucking pouches.
tenderhearts 12:51 PM 04-30-2018
I'm not going to give it to him here. Mom gives it to him at home. I'm going to tell her about the net thing. Just the comments about fishing pieces out of his mouth makes me nervous. Like I said, he really isn't even eating anything solid yet. Barely cheerios.
I wouldn't feel comfortable giving just the carrot to him either I just thought the net would give you some ease of comfort or at least for her maybe. I have had parents in the past supply me with those but the two kiddos I had that used them didn't appear to like them so I just never did it.
boy_mom 12:58 PM 04-30-2018
I used to give my boys cold carrots when they were teething. I was always with them and paying attention if they bit off a chunk.

I guess to each their own. I would never have asked a caregiver to do the same though, and I certainly wouldn't do it fo a DC child in my care. But if moms comfortable doing it on her own time then that's fine!
lovemykidstoo 01:06 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
My one DCM did this with her now 2 yo. She is the BEST eater in my bunch. Baby led weaning with NO purees, cereals, etc. But, she completely understood why I wasn't comfortable with certain foods and only supplied things that weren't hard (apples, carrots, etc)

I wish I were brave enough to do this type of weaning with my other day care kids. Maybe then they would eat actual food instead of sucking pouches.
Those sucking pouches are just gross lol. I have seen my dck's with them, but I don't buy them myself.
happymom 01:09 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I guess to each their own. I would never have asked a caregiver to do the same though, and I certainly wouldn't do it fo a DC child in my care. But if moms comfortable doing it on her own time then that's fine!
I agree with this to an extent. I personally would pull my kid if they weren't at least a little bit on board with BLW weaning though.
CityGarden 01:10 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I give raw carrots to my tiny dog because she is teething and it seems to give her relief.
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 04-30-2018
I agree with this to an extent. I personally would pull my kid if they weren't at least a little bit on board with BLW weaning though.
While I agree with BLW as a parent, I don't agree that the caregiver (in this particular atmosphere in regards to this profession) should have ANY obligation to observe or practice it.

It's actually really unfair to expect your caregiver to be at least a little bit on board as there is NO such thing as at least a little bit liable....kwim?

Imagine if a child did choke and die ....I highly doubt the DHS and/or the law would be accepting of a provider claiming the parent expected her to be at least a little bit on board with it so it's only a little bit the provider's fault.

MY watch, MY responsibility. PERIOD.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:52 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I used to give my boys cold carrots when they were teething. I was always with them and paying attention if they bit off a chunk.

This. I did it with my own kids, but won't do it with the dcks. Cold carrots were a great teether! I also backed off when they had enough teeth to start taking off big hunks.
Play Care 01:52 PM 04-30-2018
Those sucking pouches are just gross lol. I have seen my dck's with them, but I don't buy them myself.
Me either, so I've got some hungry kids.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:15 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I give raw carrots to my tiny dog because she is teething and it seems to give her relief.
I have an 8 month old old small dog who is chewing everything...i wonder if this might help him. Learn something new everyday!

As for giving raw or cold veggie for BLW, that is not how I practiced it. For me, they would get extra soft, diced veggie, avocado, egg, ect. The only thing I served raw were fruits, but they were diced very small, with no peel attached, and it was mostly apples and pears. Oranges and grapes were too risky for me. Everyone has their own Comfort level, but I would have a hard time giving raw carrots to a baby with teeth. I'm not even a fan of giving those little snacks that Gerber makes, like rice cakes and such. If you add moisture, they don't necessarily dissolve, but can formulate into a little cement ball of food. I've had a close call 2 times and that was the end of those. plus they have very little nutritional value.
lovemykidstoo 02:29 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
While I agree with BLW as a parent, I don't agree that the caregiver (in this particular atmosphere in regards to this profession) should have ANY obligation to observe or practice it.

It's actually really unfair to expect your caregiver to be at least a little bit on board as there is NO such thing as at least a little bit liable....kwim?

Imagine if a child did choke and die ....I highly doubt the DHS and/or the law would be accepting of a provider claiming the parent expected her to be at least a little bit on board with it so it's only a little bit the provider's fault.

Exactly, thank you. When the mother has said twice now that she's had to take pieces and they weren't small scrapings of carrot out of his mouth, that scares me about choking. I've had to basically save a child from choking here and it's not something you forget. Besides the fact that she's not feeding him the carrot, so it's really not a eating type of situation (BLW). My own opinion is I just don't see how it's safe when he has 2 upper and 2 lower front teeth that he can easily bite a piece off and choke. There are many other ways to satisfy a teething baby. Maybe I'm totally wrong. But, like you BC, not on my watch.
happymom 02:42 PM 04-30-2018

I'm not saying to do stuff like this (that could be construed as a risk) -- but if a caregiver refused to give my child actual food -- and only wanted to offer purees or baby cereal, I'd absolutely pack up and take my kid somewhere else.
lovemykidstoo 02:44 PM 04-30-2018
I'm not saying to do stuff like this (that could be construed as a risk) -- but if a caregiver refused to give my child actual food -- and only wanted to offer purees or baby cereal, I'd absolutely pack up and take my kid somewhere else.
That is not the situation though. I am not refusing regular foods at all. She doesn't have him on regular foods now except cheerios. She is not "feeding" the carrot to him, but letting him chew on it for teething. Totally different than refusing foods.

I've looked at the top 10 choking risks for children and every single one has raw vegetables on it.
happymom 02:49 PM 04-30-2018
Exactly, thank you. When the mother has said twice now that she's had to take pieces and they weren't small scrapings of carrot out of his mouth, that scares me about choking. I've had to basically save a child from choking here and it's not something you forget. Besides the fact that she's not feeding him the carrot, so it's really not a eating type of situation (BLW). My own opinion is I just don't see how it's safe when he has 2 upper and 2 lower front teeth that he can easily bite a piece off and choke. There are many other ways to satisfy a teething baby. Maybe I'm totally wrong. But, like you BC, not on my watch.
No, you're not wrong. I wouldn't do it if it weren't my kid. My daycare used to give teething kids frozen waffles, I always liked that.
Rockgirl 02:52 PM 04-30-2018
I’m with you—I wouldn’t give a baby a carrot. I’m very cautious about babies & toddlers with food. I use my kitchen shears to chop their food into very small pieces. Even my preschoolers get matchstick carrots.
Blackcat31 03:07 PM 04-30-2018
This I agree with 100%.

I usually skip baby foods all together and encourage "real" food. The results are so much more positive than those kids that aren't allowed to experience textures and such.

It's important that parents and providers work TOWARDS a common goal.

I thought you meant you'd pull your child if your provider wouldn't give your baby a raw carrot just because you as the parent does/said to...
happymom 03:10 PM 04-30-2018
I thought you meant you'd pull your child if your provider wouldn't give your baby a raw carrot just because you as the parent does/said to...
Haha, no. I'd drop the carrot thing as soon as the provider questioned it.
Indoorvoice 04:00 PM 04-30-2018
I practice BLW in my daycare but NEVER with raw fruits or vegetables. Everything is soft Cooked so if they do get a chunk, they can mush it up. I would never give a raw carrot to a baby.
lovemykidstoo 04:13 PM 04-30-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I practice BLW in my daycare but NEVER with raw fruits or vegetables. Everything is soft Cooked so if they do get a chunk, they can mush it up. I would never give a raw carrot to a baby.
Right! Same here. I just want to be clear on what's happening. This isn't anything she's doing for BLW, but strictly for teething. I think it's highly dangerous too. I stick to the teethers that you freeze. I don't use food as a teether. Too risky.
Jamie 04:42 AM 05-01-2018
Nope, no way! Raw carrots have no business in my business.
Luckily I'm licensed in Denmark, where it is highly recommended NOT to give the under 3s raw carrots or similar hard fruit/vegetables. But I wouldn't do it anyway.

I attended a First Aid course once where they explained that a carrot "splinches" into such tiny pieces that they can find their way into the lungs where it is almost if not entirely impossible to operate them out! A bigger piece of carrot is so hard that a baby simply does not have the lung capacity to cough it up!
lovemykidstoo 04:57 AM 05-01-2018
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Nope, no way! Raw carrots have no business in my business.
Luckily I'm licensed in Denmark, where it is highly recommended NOT to give the under 3s raw carrots or similar hard fruit/vegetables. But I wouldn't do it anyway.

I attended a First Aid course once where they explained that a carrot "splinches" into such tiny pieces that they can find their way into the lungs where it is almost if not entirely impossible to operate them out! A bigger piece of carrot is so hard that a baby simply does not have the lung capacity to cough it up!
That is scary! So if mom brings it up again, what do you guys recommend I say, if anything? She's not asking that I let him sooth his teething here with a carrot, but is mentioning that she does it at home.
Blackcat31 07:22 AM 05-01-2018
That is scary! So if mom brings it up again, what do you guys recommend I say, if anything? She's not asking that I let him sooth his teething here with a carrot, but is mentioning that she does it at home.
Just give everyone some info from the food program

Here's a great printout about common foods and choking hazards
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...upplementA.pdf
lovemykidstoo 07:24 AM 05-01-2018
Just give everyone some info from the food program

Here's a great printout about common foods and choking hazards
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...upplementA.pdf
Perfect, I'll post this to my daycare fb page thanks!
daycarediva 09:38 AM 05-01-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I have an 8 month old old small dog who is chewing everything...i wonder if this might help him. Learn something new everyday!

As for giving raw or cold veggie for BLW, that is not how I practiced it. For me, they would get extra soft, diced veggie, avocado, egg, ect. The only thing I served raw were fruits, but they were diced very small, with no peel attached, and it was mostly apples and pears. Oranges and grapes were too risky for me. Everyone has their own Comfort level, but I would have a hard time giving raw carrots to a baby with teeth. I'm not even a fan of giving those little snacks that Gerber makes, like rice cakes and such. If you add moisture, they don't necessarily dissolve, but can formulate into a little cement ball of food. I've had a close call 2 times and that was the end of those. plus they have very little nutritional value.
HUGE BLW advocate and THIS!!!!

I also hate those F'ing pouches with a passion.

Tube yogurt

teach your kid to eat real food, dagnabbit.
Ariana 06:06 AM 10-11-2019
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
HUGE BLW advocate and THIS!!!!

I also hate those F'ing pouches with a passion.

Tube yogurt

teach your kid to eat real food, dagnabbit.
Just resurrecting an old thread! Why are parents sooo dependent on pouches. I have had to wean every single kid I have off pouches.

And just for the record, raw carrots are not part of BLW in case anyone is reading this thread for food information. I did BLW for both my kids and my DCKs and raw carrots are absolutely not part of it
Cat Herder 06:21 AM 10-11-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Why are parents sooo dependent on pouches.
Because it is easier.
Ac114 06:59 AM 10-11-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Just resurrecting an old thread! Why are parents sooo dependent on pouches. I have had to wean every single kid I have off pouches.

And just for the record, raw carrots are not part of BLW in case anyone is reading this thread for food information. I did BLW for both my kids and my DCKs and raw carrots are absolutely not part of it
Yesss! I hate pouches! I have a 4 year old that still lives off of these. And my 18 month old twins have reverted in their feeding skills because they ONLY get pouches at home. Like I give up!
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 10-11-2019
I wonder how area specific these pouches are....
I've yet to have a kid in care that uses them.

I've got a couple parents that take the easy way out of everything and even they don't use them.

Thank goodness! They seem like a horrible option/choice for many reasons.
Cat Herder 07:47 AM 10-11-2019

I've got a couple parents that take the easy way out of everything and even they don't use them.

A lot of my clients shop Super Walmart grocery section. They keep them in the refrigerated fresh vegetable section. I guess it gives the illusion that they belong there. They type big words like Organic and GMO-Free on them. Marketing ploy no different than the "clear" products of the '80s. They prey on people with limited nutrition education. https://www.plumorganics.com/product...7Bproductid%7D
Bluemoon5 11:29 AM 10-11-2019

We were just talking today in my room about how much we hate pouches. Almost all of my kids get pouches of some form, whether it's baby food, applesauce, or yogurt. I have one 16 month old who only eats fruit or yogurt pouches. His mom packs him about 7 pouches and that's all he has all day, aside from a handful of those Gerber baby cheese doodle things. Oh, and a sippy cup of juice. His diapers are real fun. But it's ok, he's just teething.
CalCare 01:55 PM 10-11-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
A lot of my clients shop Super Walmart grocery section. They keep them in the refrigerated fresh vegetable section. I guess it gives the illusion that they belong there. They type big words like Organic and GMO-Free on them. Marketing ploy no different than the "clear" products of the '80s. They prey on people with limited nutrition education. https://www.plumorganics.com/product...7Bproductid%7D
I absolutely agree that pouches aren't helpful developmentally. But I don't see why nutritionally, it wouldn't have value. I know that the fiber is different if mashed or juiced. But really a pouch of pure organic smooshed squash should be just as healthful as a bowl of cooked to moosh consistency squash. Same for banana, apple, broccoli, peas, etc.. ?
CalCare 02:00 PM 10-11-2019
The pouch food is interesting to me because I actually met this woman who was one of the very first in that business. She made a company, she made the pouches, she sold them at whole foods, she was looking for investors at an event that I was attending, also looking for investors. She told us all, this is going to be huge. The pouch market is going to blast off.

There was only one other kind at the time. That company only had two flavors and they were sold in the produce fridge by like pre-cut fruit bowls. Those pouches weren't shelf stable. Hers were shelf stable and she didn't get more funding, I don't think. Then it blasted off! I have to look up her company. I can't remember the name right now! Wonder if she sold the rights or anything. Hope she made some of that big pouch money! ��
Ariana 11:10 AM 10-13-2019
For me it is not about nutrition it is about lazy parenting and kids not learning how to eat with utensils or learning about textures of foods. I fed pouches to my own kids but it was on the go snacks for the car and I made them myself!

I had one kid who was breastfeeding 5x a day, drinking YOP yogurts and eating pouches when she started at my house at 12 months. Would happily gobble up a blueberry pouch but not actual blueberries? I have a child currently who is 16 months old, no idea what a utensil is for, only eats bread type things, zero veggies. She is starving all the time! I have had to buy pouches just to get her through the day while I transition her onto more solids. The last 3 kids have been like this.

I have one 12 month old that has no idea what to do with a pouch!
hwichlaz 12:28 PM 10-15-2019
My FP encourages BLW and I use it
Tags:parents - don't cooperate, teething - remedies, transitioning - solid foods
Reply Up