Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>End of Day, Dinner, Thoughts?
Baby Beluga 04:43 PM 05-07-2018
I usually make/prep my family's dinner during the DCK's nap time. Then I toss it in the oven or in a skillet to warm and wait until 5:00pm when the last child leaves. Or I prep it during breakfast and pop it in the crock pot.

Is this okay?

It just occurred to me that a parent may smell the food warming and think I was cooking while their child was here. I am in the classroom. The kids and are I usually reading or coloring the last 30 minutes of the day but it's one of those "impression" things?

Does anyone else do this?
redmaple 04:52 PM 05-07-2018
I make sure something is in the crock pot while interviewing, and explain there is almost something cooking away in there.
Baby Beluga 04:59 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by redmaple:
I make sure something is in the crock pot while interviewing, and explain there is almost something cooking away in there.
That's a good idea. That way they expect it. May I ask how you bring it up? Just say "fyi, you may smell food while picking up?"
Homebody 05:05 PM 05-07-2018
Yep, I sometimes do this too. Never had any problems. Sometimes a parent will say "mmmm something smells good". I dont get much alone time with my own kids, and would much rather spend after dc hours with them instead of cooking dinner.
redmaple 05:11 PM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
That's a good idea. That way they expect it. May I ask how you bring it up? Just say "fyi, you may smell food while picking up?"
I bring it up when discussing daycare menu, and meal preparation.
storybookending 05:31 PM 05-07-2018
I don’t bring it up at all. Obviously from time to time I will have food cooking already or in a slow cooker. Anyone that’s going to make a fuss about it is not someone I want as a client. Do they also just assume I don’t cook them lunch? Obviously some of my time is going to be spent meal prepping.
racemom 07:21 PM 05-07-2018
I would think it would make it seem more homey. Unless you are trying to project a school like environment, as a parent I would enjoy smelling home cooking.
Rockgirl 07:38 PM 05-07-2018
I wouldn’t worry about it! I often have food in the oven or crock pot for dinner. I’ll occasionally have a parent comment that it smells wonderful, or joke around about staying for dinner. It’s family child care...they expect the workings of family life, or at least should.
Josiegirl 02:07 AM 05-08-2018
I think unless someone mentions it, I wouldn't say a thing. They don't know if it went into the crockpot before they got there or you just threw it into the oven or whatever. If dcps are going to worry about that, then they are probably worrying about a ton of other things and I wouldn't want them anyways; they'd make me too nervous. It all comes down to trusting the provider.
rosieteddy 06:34 AM 05-08-2018
I would not mention it at all.I always prepped family dinner at lunch.Then when going out for afternoon play would put in oven.That is what family childcare in a home is.You need to feed your family.I knew a provider years ago that claimed to provide DCfamily with dinner to go .I never knew if it was true but she claimed to charge for the service.
Kimskiddos 06:57 AM 05-08-2018
I would think for the most part a delicious smelling house would be a good thing. But if it is worrying you then you have been given a few good ideas to explain your cooking patterns.

My hubby often cooks bacon and eggs for breakfast. One of my dcd's said one morning "I love coming here in the mornings, it's smells like coffee and bacon!"
Play Care 09:28 AM 05-08-2018
Every job has its perks. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Baby Beluga 09:35 AM 05-08-2018
Thank you for reassuring me, everyone.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
Every job has its perks. I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
Yes, this is a definite perk!
Play Care 09:56 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thank you for reassuring me, everyone.

Yes, this is a definite perk!
Now what are you making tonight? I need some inspiration!
Baby Beluga 11:42 AM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Now what are you making tonight? I need some inspiration!
Haha, nothing tonight! I have a meeting with the oral surgeon this evening so DH is in charge of feeding the kids and himself.

Tomorrow is Mississippi roast in the crock pot though
hwichlaz 11:53 AM 05-08-2018
Tonight’s dinner...

https://www.budgetbytes.com/sausage-kale-skillet/
Homebody 12:13 PM 05-08-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Tonight’s dinner...

https://www.budgetbytes.com/sausage-kale-skillet/
That looks yummy! Good way to get kids to eat kale
Ariana 05:07 PM 05-08-2018
I do this all the time! I usually pop something in the oven during afternoon snack. In my opinion it is none of the parents business what I do in my kitchen as long as their children are well taken care of
Unregistered 06:45 PM 05-08-2018
I have many times started dinner about 5:00 like browning hamburger etc. last child leaves about 5:20. It's at least one perk of the job. No one has ever questioned it and I think it's a great idea. Not a problem in my mind!
Meeko 06:55 AM 05-09-2018
It's none of their business. The moment a parent has a problem with smelling HOME smells...they need to look at places other than a HOME daycare.
Unregistered 07:04 AM 05-09-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
It's none of their business. The moment a parent has a problem with smelling HOME smells...they need to look at places other than a HOME daycare.
Exactly!!!!!
Tags:ending an interview, interview - how to end it
Reply Up