Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Milk And Food Program
happymom 02:38 PM 05-10-2018
Parent here (most of you know me).

This is probably something I should just talk to the daycare about, but I don't want to bring it up if it's going to put them out at all (like possibly not being able to count my kids meals for food program).

My kid (6) hates milk. He comes home complaining that they "only" (not true) give him chocolate milk or white milk at daycare and he only wants water. I figure it'd be pretty easy to ask them to serve only water, and I know they would do it, but will it mess up their food program guidelines?

Alternatively, I can just ask if I can send him a bottle of water instead (then they can serve him milk and he can drink water instead and they just throw out the milk as waste).
hwichlaz 02:57 PM 05-10-2018
The food program REQUIRES that all children be served fluid milk at all meals. However, they also do NOT allow us to force anyone to eat or drink anything they do not want to, and water is to be made available at all times.

None of mine drink milk anymore. So I buy the cheapest brand possible, so I can immediately dump it out and refill with water at their request. :P

Back when they actually liked milk they’d drink it and I’d rinse out and refill with water.
hwichlaz 02:59 PM 05-10-2018
I will say...that he needs to be discrete. Making himself and what he has appear to be different than the other kids can cause problems at meal time. Talk to your provider about the best way to do this.
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 05-10-2018
My food program requires ONLY that I offer milk.
They don't have to have milk.

I disagree that he needs to be discrete.

If a child is old enough to know his likes/dislikes and old enough to state he does not want milk then he shouldn't be required to drink milk.

I think "hiding" that he doesn't want or like milk could make him feel as if he is wrong somehow for not wanting milk.
I don't think that is a good lesson to teach others.

I think kids should see that not everyone is the same and that although everyone is offered the same options we all have the right to choose what we do and don't consume.

I would just ask your provider what their food program rep says about it.

Seems every state/agency and rep does things differently but from everything I've read in regards to the food program food needs only to be offered.
happymom 03:32 PM 05-10-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Seems every state/agency and rep does things differently but from everything I've read in regards to the food program food needs only to be offered.
I'll talk to them. Does it have to be offered as in "do you want milk or water?"

Or does it have to be offered as in physically poured and placed in front of him?

He's 6 and in kindergarten.
284878 09:11 PM 05-10-2018
Originally Posted by happymom:
I'll talk to them. Does it have to be offered as in "do you want milk or water?"

Or does it have to be offered as in physically poured and placed in front of him?

He's 6 and in kindergarten.
Offered as in just asked, since he is old enough to answer.

For me I had a two going on three year old that didn't drink his milk and asked for water. When I noticed this, I started placing a small amount of milk and a cup of water for him at lunch. He would still sip the milk but he would drink the water and ask for more. If by chance he did drink the milk I would refill it for him. To me it was about keeping him hydrated.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 05-11-2018
Yes, just like the above poster said...offered as in asked if he wants it. He is old enough to state yes or no.

That is all my food program requires.
hwichlaz 08:12 AM 05-11-2018
My food program requires that it be poured into his cup and put in front of him, but he doesn’t have to drink it.

The only way around that is if I pour it into a smaller piture, and put it on the table for the kids to pour themselves, but it’s the same end result because I have to put the correct amount of ounces for everyone in it, and dump what’s not used at the end of the meal. Here, he could have two cups, one with water and one with milk. My kid table is just small and everyone can reach everything. So having two cups for kids means more chance of spills. I’d want him to be discrete because none of my kids would even try the milk if they knew they could dump it and get water. A few of them should be trying it because they need the extra calories. These are the kids that don’t drink it here because they get chocolate milk at home.
happymom 08:30 AM 05-11-2018
Thanks guys!

I talked to them and it was not a big deal! I just wrote it on his health page that he doesn't need milk.

I also took the opportunity to ask that they not give my littlest strawberries since I'm pretty sure they give him a rash around the mouth.
daycarediva 11:03 AM 05-14-2018
Parent here (most of you know me).

This is probably something I should just talk to the daycare about, but I don't want to bring it up if it's going to put them out at all (like possibly not being able to count my kids meals for food program).

My kid (6) hates milk. He comes home complaining that they "only" (not true) give him chocolate milk or white milk at daycare and he only wants water. I figure it'd be pretty easy to ask them to serve only water, and I know they would do it, but will it mess up their food program guidelines?

Alternatively, I can just ask if I can send him a bottle of water instead (then they can serve him milk and he can drink water instead and they just throw out the milk as waste).
awesome! I am just required to offer. I do, and the kids ALWAYS, ALWAYS chose their water bottles over milk.

With 12 kids daily, I go through LESS than a gallon of milk a week.
Play Care 11:17 AM 05-14-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
awesome! I am just required to offer. I do, and the kids ALWAYS, ALWAYS chose their water bottles over milk.

With 12 kids daily, I go through LESS than a gallon of milk a week.
I seem to recall being told by my sponsoring agency that if they come to observe a meal and anything other than milk is on the table, they won't credit it. Are they just not interpreting the rule correctly? I have kids who will guzzle water but are not big milk drinkers, and it's been a PITA to be honest.
Jo123ABC 12:21 PM 05-14-2018
Hmm.. I wonder what my food prog would say. I always thought I had to set the milk in front of them but I've never asked for clarification on "offering". Either way, a Dr. Note could get dck out of drinking milk I'm pretty sure. My pediatrician does not like the food program and I know he prefers my 3yo daughter drink water.
Unregistered 12:38 PM 05-14-2018
The USDA regulation regarding milk says "served" not "offered"
(USDA memo CACFP 17-2016)

To be in compliance with USDA requirements milk must be served at breakfast, lunch, or dinner (proper amount in each child's cup or if serving family style the proper amount required for all children in attendance in a pitcher). If this component of the meal is not available at the meal the food program should disallow the whole meal.

There are a few exceptions, non-dairy beverages (soy milk that is nutritionally equivalent to milk is common) can be served with written permission from the sponsor. A medical statement from a Dr with recommended alternatives can also be approved.

Some states and sponsors may interrupt the regs differently, so if there are any questions check your CACFP sponsor's handbook and/or call the directly for guidance.

But because no child should be forced to eat/drink what is served (just encouraged) the child doesn't have to drink the milk served.
Blackcat31 01:29 PM 05-14-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The USDA regulation regarding milk says "served" not "offered"
(USDA memo CACFP 17-2016)

To be in compliance with USDA requirements milk must be served at breakfast, lunch, or dinner (proper amount in each child's cup or if serving family style the proper amount required for all children in attendance in a pitcher). If this component of the meal is not available at the meal the food program should disallow the whole meal.

There are a few exceptions, non-dairy beverages (soy milk that is nutritionally equivalent to milk is common) can be served with written permission from the sponsor. A medical statement from a Dr with recommended alternatives can also be approved.

Some states and sponsors may interrupt the regs differently, so if there are any questions check your CACFP sponsor's handbook and/or call the directly for guidance.

But because no child should be forced to eat/drink what is served (just encouraged) the child doesn't have to drink the milk served.
This applies only if the program serves pre-portion style verses Family style

I serve Family Style

The two meal service styles that can be used in CACFP are pre-portioned and family style. Preportioned means that the minimal requirement (or more) of food for each required component is prepared by an adult and given to each child on a plate or tray.

Family style meal service means that the food is placed on each table for each child to help him/herself. Children may then select the foods they want and the amount of each food they want.

During your review, you must ensure that minimum portions (or more) of each required component for all children are available for the children at the table. During the meal, it is the responsibility of the provider to encourage each child to accept the full required portion for each food component of the meal pattern.

For example, if a child does not want a food component, or does not want the full required portion of a meal component, the provider should offer the food component to the child again. If minimum portions are not available to each child, the meals would be disallowed
[7 CFR §226.20(p) and FNS Instruction 783-9, Rev. 2].

I need only make sure enough for each child is AVAILABLE but I do not actually have to "serve it" or put it in a cup.

Child is offered, child declines, I re-offer and child declines and is then provided water.
happymom 02:42 PM 05-14-2018
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I seem to recall being told by my sponsoring agency that if they come to observe a meal and anything other than milk is on the table, they won't credit it. Are they just not interpreting the rule correctly? I have kids who will guzzle water but are not big milk drinkers, and it's been a PITA to be honest.
Are you guys supposed to give milk with all meals/snacks?
Play Care 03:16 PM 05-14-2018
Are you guys supposed to give milk with all meals/snacks?
No, just at meals must it be offered. The Food program (at least in my State) encourages water for snack.
Tags:food program, food program - milk
Reply Up