Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bottles of Milk at Naptime
Persephone 09:19 AM 01-25-2010
How do others of you handle bottles of milk at nap time? My one DCG that just started about 2-3 weeks ago takes a bottle of milk at bedtimes. I never gave a bottle (let alone with milk) when I laid him down to sleep. I seen what it can do to a toddlers teeth when I worked at a center, we had an 18 month old with very bad teeth and she took a bottle of milk to bed with her.

Do you let them do it?
tenderhearts 09:27 AM 01-25-2010
I myself don't do it, I have a 12 mo old that still takes one and luckily with her you just lay her on the floor and she'll drink it, when she's done I put her to bed. Other dck I've had usually I had to hold them until they were done they would either get up and try walking around or fuss, but she just lays there and watches everyone. I agree it is not good to put them down with a bottle and so many parents do.
Carole's Daycare 09:30 AM 01-25-2010
No. I give them formula for their meal time only (of course thats on demand for younger ones). If they cant sleep w/ o a bottle and scream I have let them have a little water in the bottle when the lay down at first, then wean them off altogether . By the time they are able to have milk at one year they are off the bottle at my house. I remind parents how unhealthy it is and that it is against daycare rules in our area. I show pictures/fliers dealing with baby bottle tooth decay and encourage them to stop giving the bottle at bedtime. If the child doesn't improve then it is apparent the parents are still doing it, at which time I remind them and let them know if the problem persists they will be terminated.
gbcc 09:32 AM 01-25-2010
I am very strict about the bottle. I wont let a child lay down with one. It causes so many problems like, rotten teeth, ear infections, and smelly moldy sheets and pads. I also think that may not be allowed according to state safety regulations.

Once a child starts to walk I also do away with the bottle. I don't want stains or spoiled milk all over my home. They then need to learn to transition over to a sippy cup.
Persephone 09:35 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
No. I give them formula for their meal time only (of course thats on demand for younger ones). If they cant sleep w/ o a bottle and scream I have let them have a little water in the bottle when the lay down at first, then wean them off altogether . By the time they are able to have milk at one year they are off the bottle at my house. I remind parents how unhealthy it is and that it is against daycare rules in our area. I show pictures/fliers dealing with baby bottle tooth decay and encourage them to stop giving the bottle at bedtime. If the child doesn't improve then it is apparent the parents are still doing it, at which time I remind them and let them know if the problem persists they will be terminated.
See, that's what I've been doing. The first day I let her have a little milk, she fell asleep and she sucked in her sleep even after it was all gone. Then I just started with a little milk and half water and then just water the last couple days last week. I put her down with out today and she's not too happy about it.
gbcc 09:37 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
See, that's what I've been doing. The first day I let her have a little milk, she fell asleep and she sucked in her sleep even after it was all gone. Then I just started with a little milk and half water and then just water the last couple days last week. I put her down with out today and she's not too happy about it.
I hate them, but do you think she could benefit from a pacifier? Some children just need that added comfort.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:43 AM 01-25-2010
they only get a bottle here until a year old and never anywhere but at my lap. At about 10 mo I transition to table and cup for meals and snacks,... and I remove one ounce of the nap bottle a week until they are down to one ounce per nap cuddle and then I lay them down.
momma2girls 09:46 AM 01-25-2010
I don't ever lay down a baby with a bottle , never have done it, and won't do it for anyone!! I give them a bottle before being laid down. GOod luck!!!
Persephone 10:34 AM 01-25-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I am very strict about the bottle. I wont let a child lay down with one. It causes so many problems like, rotten teeth, ear infections, and smelly moldy sheets and pads. I also think that may not be allowed according to state safety regulations.

Once a child starts to walk I also do away with the bottle. I don't want stains or spoiled milk all over my home. They then need to learn to transition over to a sippy cup.
She can drink from a sippy (she's 15 months) and can walk. The one day the bottle she had, had a hole so big in the nipple that her pant leg was all wet because it poured out. I'm glad it was just water that day.
gbcc 10:47 AM 01-25-2010
Thats uncalled for! Have you thought about telling mom that she can no longer have the bottle at all?
Persephone 11:01 AM 01-25-2010
Thats uncalled for! Have you thought about telling mom that she can no longer have the bottle at all?
She just started and I didn't know she took a bottle at nap until the first day and mom said it as she was walking out the door.

I might say something today to her about not doing it here and my feelings why.
tenderhearts 11:49 AM 01-25-2010
I think all kids are different and some need a bottle longer than others. My daughter was 16 mo before we took her bottle away but my son was 10 mo when he gave up all bottles, I think it depends on the child. I don't agree with laying them down to fall asleep with one at all.
Carole's Daycare 07:01 AM 01-26-2010
I hate them, but do you think she could benefit from a pacifier? Some children just need that added comfort.
As much as we hate them pacifiers are an excellent option , more now than ever, when their use is linked to a decrease in SIDS. Also, the pacifier can be taken away- that thmb sucking hands in the mouth germy mess has been a tough battle here.
Carole's Daycare 07:06 AM 01-26-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
She can drink from a sippy (she's 15 months) and can walk. The one day the bottle she had, had a hole so big in the nipple that her pant leg was all wet because it poured out. I'm glad it was just water that day.
Gross. I'd take that bugger away and shut the door & let her scream. Good grief! (refer to my last gripe in vent thread lol) It is true kids are different- I had a 15 month old napping with big kids on a nap mat, now, her baby brother is no where close to being ready for that. I nursed my son before bed until almost 2, I think partly because of the stress of having daddy deployed, but only once a day for our pre- sleep snuggle- during the day he ate and drank from a cup
MarinaVanessa 10:08 AM 01-26-2010
I never allow bottles either. I'm surprised that parent's still allow this at home. Aside form the fact that it's bad for their teeth it can also cause ear infections. I'm amazed that parent's still don't know that your nasal throat and ear canals are all connected. Milk gets way back in the throat and can get into the ear canal and cause a bad ear infection which equals= a very upset and sick child on anti-biotics that the parent tries to dump on us!!
I simply do not allow it and snip it in the bud right away. No water, no milk, no liquids period.
Lucy 10:12 PM 01-26-2010
In Oregon, it's against my licensing guidelines. Check yours thoroughly. Maybe it is in your state too. If so, tell the mom that you can't do it anymore because of that. If it's not against your guidelines and you're too nervous to confront the mom about it, I say just don't do it at your house. The baby will get used to it. What the mom doesn't know won't hurt her.
gbcc 03:39 AM 01-27-2010
Originally Posted by Joyce:
I say just don't do it at your house. The baby will get used to it. What the mom doesn't know won't hurt her.
That is so funny you say that! I will also do this at times. There is only so many times I can talk to a parent about an issue before I just give up and say what she wont know wont hurt. For instance, I have a 4 year old child that comes with suckers, smarties, tootsie rolls, etc. at 8am. I don't allow those things to begin with because I don't need a house full of hyper kids but hello?? at 8am that is obserd. So now the child says goodbye and then once mom is out the door she just hands the candy over to me now. Oh, and should I mention she doesn't have a dentist yet and eats all that garbage! They are very well off, making at least 70K between the two parents and they have insurance so I don't know what the issue is. Sorry, got off topic toward the end here!
Tags:bottles, milk
Reply Up