Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Nanny Share
twest1267 01:50 PM 12-27-2016
Hi all I am located in Livermore california and a single mom with a live-in Nanny and trying to find a way to streamline daycare costs so I am looking for a family that has a child 1 year or older that would like to nanny share between the hours of 7am to 3:30pm. My Nanny is amazing and has been caring for my son since he was 2 months old. Care would be in my home. If interested please contact me directly.
Blackcat31 04:39 PM 12-27-2016
Originally Posted by twest1267:
Hi all I am located in Livermore california and a single mom with a live-in Nanny and trying to find a way to streamline daycare costs so I am looking for a family that has a child 1 year or older that would like to nanny share between the hours of 7am to 3:30pm. My Nanny is amazing and has been caring for my son since he was 2 months old. Care would be in my home. If interested please contact me directly.
I could be misreading but I don't think your/this arrangement would be legal.

http://childcarelaw.org/wp-content/u...California.pdf

It sounds like you can share your nanny (she can work/provide care for more than one family) but not at the same time she is providing care for you.

This also doesn't sound like a co-op because your nanny not you (a parent) would be providing care.

I think you need to consult an attorney or your state's child care licensing dept to find out what the law or rules are before setting this type of arrangement up just to be sure.

Contact info for licensing: https://www.daycare.com/california/
twest1267 04:46 PM 12-27-2016
This is a private arrangement - the care is not provided by me. Its not a daycare - simply someone that needs care that wants to share a nanny and the cost - no more. But thank you for your research.
daycarediva 05:13 AM 12-28-2016
This is a private arrangement - the care is not provided by me. Its not a daycare - simply someone that needs care that wants to share a nanny and the cost - no more. But thank you for your research.
Yes it is a private arrangement, but it should also be a legal one. Nanny shares are not legal in most states since it puts the nanny out of/above ratios for licensing and some states require her to become a licensed child care facility.

Please look up the laws regarding it, or contact child care resources in your area. The nanny is the one who can be fined, although I am surprised she is willing to do this without researching it herself.
daycarediva 05:17 AM 12-28-2016
this is in the link posted above- if a person is caring for more than one family, they need to be licensed in your state. So essentially you need to register your home as a daycare with the state, and the nanny as the provider. The tax implications are complicated as well, I know a family going through a NIGHTMARE with workers comp because they weren't paying the nanny, the other family was and they were reimbursing them for hours, etc.

What Types of Providers Are License Exempt?

Many child care providers are license-exempt,
including:
• A provider who cares only for his/her
relatives,
• A provider who only cares for the
children of one other family (other than
the provider’s own children, if he or she
has any children),
• Cooperative agreements (Co-ops) in
which parents share responsibility for
child care. See Question 9.
• Public recreation programs.
• Before- and after-school programs run by
schools.
• Other categories of license exempt
programs can be found in Health a
mommyneedsadayoff 12:30 PM 12-28-2016
This is not a "nanny share". As posted above, if you are bringing other kids in to YOUR home, you would need to reference daycare regulations.

A nanny share is when two or more families use the same nanny, but at different times. An example would be if you only need a nanny 3 days a week and your friend needs someone 2 days a week. You hire someone to both use, but care is at your respective homes and you pay her separately as employers. Many nannies are looking for full time jobs, so by nanny sharing, you can get nanny care at a part time price. What you are describing anove is a way to use your live in nanny to make side income providing daycare in your home, in which case, you need to do your homework on licensing and CA daycare rules.
twest1267 12:52 PM 12-28-2016
I am NOT making side income - they would pay her directly. I am NOT trying to post a daycare provider situation - I am simply a single mom trying to make ends meet and thought instead of quitting my job because childcare is almost cost prohibitive that I would throw something out there in a creative manner to try and make child care affordable for myself and maybe someone else in a similar situation all the while keeping myself employed, my nanny employed and possibly allowing for another person to be able to go back to employment because they now would have a child care situation that is affordable. Or on the flip side quit work, unemploy yet another person and join the world of obtaining public assistance to try and make ends meet instead. I appreciate your time and efforts in blasting me on all the reasons why this is a problem but the bigger situation is I WANT to be a productive working person in society and I am in a situation trying to make that all work. I am NOT a criminal, not doing some heinous crime here - simply trying to be a working single mother. So if you have any other feedback that is not to actually to discuss with me the possibility of a Nanny share situation then please save your response because its going to fall on deaf ears. Thank you and thank you for such positive and supportive feedback.
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 12-28-2016
I am NOT making side income - they would pay her directly. I am NOT trying to post a daycare provider situation - I am simply a single mom trying to make ends meet and thought instead of quitting my job because childcare is almost cost prohibitive that I would throw something out there in a creative manner to try and make child care affordable for myself and maybe someone else in a similar situation all the while keeping myself employed, my nanny employed and possibly allowing for another person to be able to go back to employment because they now would have a child care situation that is affordable. Or on the flip side quit work, unemploy yet another person and join the world of obtaining public assistance to try and make ends meet instead. I appreciate your time and efforts in blasting me on all the reasons why this is a problem but the bigger situation is I WANT to be a productive working person in society and I am in a situation trying to make that all work. I am NOT a criminal, not doing some heinous crime here - simply trying to be a working single mother. So if you have any other feedback that is not to actually to discuss with me the possibility of a Nanny share situation then please save your response because its going to fall on deaf ears. Thank you and thank you for such positive and supportive feedback.
Just because posters reply with KNOWLEDGEABLE feedback regarding an ILLEGAL situation you are trying to set up, does not mean anyone is purposely trying to be rude or unsupportive; in fact it seems to me that advice was offered to SAVE you the trouble of trying to do something that will get you fined a MINIMUM OF $200 PER DAY!!!!

My advice was to consult an attorney or your state's child care licensing agency to make sure you ARE legal.

You can call it whatever you want. You can even toss the "single parent" card into the mix but it does not matter. Certain states require certain rules to be followed and ANY time a child is being cared for by someone other than the parent and/or outside the child's primary residence these rules apply.

I am sorry you don't like what advice and information that is being told to you but honestly, since all the HELPFUL and well meaning information that is being shared seems to fall on deaf ears... do what you want.

But don't be surprised when your insurance company cancels because you are allowing an unlicensed provider to operate illegally in your home (once she provides care for more than YOUR child, she becomes an ILLEGAL provider) or that the state shows up and levies a fine on you and/or onto the nanny or when the nanny figures out you are putting her in a position that makes her duties illegal.

You might not care to hear what we have to say, but you would putting YOUR financial well being at risk because not only do most insurance companies care, but licensing cares and so does the IRS.
twest1267 01:24 PM 12-28-2016
Thanks
daycare 03:04 PM 12-28-2016
I am a provider from CA and what everyone here is telling you is VERY helpful.

Your situation would work if it was YOU that was watching only one child, but it is not. As others have stated, the situation that you are trying to create is actual illegal, private or not.

I know that everyone on here means well to tell you these things to be of help and make certain you avoid a huge problem later.

If money is tight, maybe look into a small home daycare. Daycare is much cheaper than hiring a nanny. Although I do understand the expectation differences.

best of luck to you, I am not too far from you, I am also in the bay area....
mommyneedsadayoff 09:32 PM 12-28-2016

Everyone is offering you advice based on decades of experience. You sound stressed and we have all been there! We are trying to help you figure out your current issues, without creating new ones, kwim? What you are describing is illegal, so there is not much advice to offer there, except to research and follow the licensing laws.

As for saving money on childcare, i would release your nanny and put your child in a home daycare. Nannies make great money, so yours will find a new job and YOU will save a lot of money by not using a nanny, which is one of the most expensive forms of childcare. Most states offer childcare assistance, as well, so they will cover some of your daycare costs. I know how it can be when money is tight, but your options are not to offer illegal childcare or to quit working altogether and live off the system In fact, many of us started our daycares bc we were in the same place as you. Needed quality care, couldnt afford it or find it, so we decided to offer it ourselves...legally of course. Good luck to you!
daycarediva 05:28 AM 12-29-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Everyone is offering you advice based on decades of experience. You sound stressed and we have all been there! We are trying to help you figure out your current issues, without creating new ones, kwim? What you are describing is illegal, so there is not much advice to offer there, except to research and follow the licensing laws.

As for saving money on childcare, i would release your nanny and put your child in a home daycare. Nannies make great money, so yours will find a new job and YOU will save a lot of money by not using a nanny, which is one of the most expensive forms of childcare. Most states offer childcare assistance, as well, so they will cover some of your daycare costs. I know how it can be when money is tight, but your options are not to offer illegal childcare or to quit working altogether and live off the system In fact, many of us started our daycares bc we were in the same place as you. Needed quality care, couldnt afford it or find it, so we decided to offer it ourselves...legally of course. Good luck to you!
Honestly it sounds like you can't afford/don't want to pay the nanny's salary. Daycare (and there are a multitude of daycare options out there) IS the least expensive option. Staying home, you lose all your income.
Snowmom 08:07 AM 12-30-2016
To those of you that have more knowledge on this subject, I'm curious... is this type of "nanny share" situation illegal in any other states besides CA, MD and WA?
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
To those of you that have more knowledge on this subject, I'm curious... is this type of "nanny share" situation illegal in any other states besides CA, MD and WA?
It would be illegal in our state as well.

ANY time a person (not a parent) cares for more than one family's child they need a license.
daycarediva 09:33 AM 12-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It would be illegal in our state as well.

ANY time a person (not a parent) cares for more than one family's child they need a license.
More than two children would be illegal here. There is also a host of tax implications, it's not as simple as OP thinks it is. Eg. Each family would have to pay her a salary, deduct taxes (and file), have workers comp and unemployment insurance on her, etc.

Nannies are considered employees, not subcontractors. I think OP wants to treat her nanny as a subcontractor, pay her the same, and have the other family pay OP for their portion of the nanny's salary. That's illegal, tax wise.

Dh employs subcontractors for certain aspects of jobs (eg. Licensed electrician until he passes his licensing test) He can pay that guy a flat rate, give him a 1099, and be done. The subcontractor is required to have his own insurance and comp certificate. Technically, home daycare providers are subcontractors for tax purposes, which is why we are not employed by the parents of children in our care.
CityGarden 07:58 AM 01-04-2017
Nanny Shares are popular where I live in California however they seems to work differently than you describe. In example

Family A uses the nanny M/W/F and Family B uses the nanny T/TH

OR

Family A uses the nanny M-F 8AM - 2:00pm and Family B uses the nanny M-F from 3pm - 6:00pm

Both situations the children are in their own homes (not the nanny's home) and the two families children are not watched together. That this seems to reduce the "full time" cost of a nanny you really like,love, etc. by helping her have full time pay you will likely keep her longer but the hourly cost does not seem to be any less.

The providers above highlighted some very real issues and if you are around still checking this thread I wanted to add some potential solutions....

1) Since your nanny lives with you in the same home how about licensing yourself and her as a home day care? If she is licensed then she can care for more children in your home and your childcare cost would likely significantly reduce.

2) Have you considered opening a home daycare? Not sure it would be your cup of tea but if you are licensed (like I mentioned above) you could be her back up / sub OR you could run it and have her as an employee.
daycare 09:10 AM 01-04-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Nanny Shares are popular where I live in California however they seems to work differently than you describe. In example

Family A uses the nanny M/W/F and Family B uses the nanny T/TH

OR

Family A uses the nanny M-F 8AM - 2:00pm and Family B uses the nanny M-F from 3pm - 6:00pm

Both situations the children are in their own homes (not the nanny's home) and the two families children are not watched together. That this seems to reduce the "full time" cost of a nanny you really like,love, etc. by helping her have full time pay you will likely keep her longer but the hourly cost does not seem to be any less.

The providers above highlighted some very real issues and if you are around still checking this thread I wanted to add some potential solutions....

1) Since your nanny lives with you in the same home how about licensing yourself and her as a home day care? If she is licensed then she can care for more children in your home and your childcare cost would likely significantly reduce.

2) Have you considered opening a home daycare? Not sure it would be your cup of tea but if you are licensed (like I mentioned above) you could be her back up / sub OR you could run it and have her as an employee.
This is a good way to go about it, bur don't forget that if you do decide to go that route, you will need to have wokers-comp insurance and be sure to with-hold all taxes from your Nanny pay check, because she would be your employee. Workers comp is NOT cheap.

Oh and then the other thing that could be an issue, as the license holder, you would need to be in the childcare home at least 80% of the time.

In the end, I think that this would be a very difficult and more expensive route to take.
Tags:illegal, single mom excuse, unreasonable parental expectations
Reply Up