Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Termination advice, notice and payment
LaLa1923 10:17 AM 04-24-2013
I have a DCM who wanted to terminate services. I reminded her that in order to terminate services I require written termination. It must be signed, dated, and hand delivered.

She then proceed to tell me that she would like to meet and discuss everything.

I declined, I told her I felt as if our relationship were already damaged. I also told her I felt it was best she go with a provider who could give her a three hour drop-off window.

She never provided proper termination, so I am mailing her my termination letter. I do require 4 weeks notice as per my contract. Since she doesn't want to bring her daughter back, should I say she can bring her for the next 4 weeks ? Or should I just say OK, but she still owes the four weeks tuition.???
BumbleBee 10:26 AM 04-24-2013
Personally, I'd be livid if I was told I had to pay for the 4 weeks but could not bring my child.

Basically if the policy states she has to pay the 4 weeks, she should have the option to use those 4 weeks. If she chooses not to, that's her loss.
Blackcat31 10:26 AM 04-24-2013
Depends.

Do you WANT her to attend the next four weeks?

Do you want the money AND have to deal with her?

If you would rather just let it go, then let it go.

If you really want to enforce your contract then do so but be prepared to have to follow through with further collection action if necessary AND you have to allow her to use the last 4 weeks.

If SHE chooses not to use the last 4 weeks, great! That's on her but you can't tell her she isn't allowed to come unless you are willing to not charge her.

Hope that makes sense...I'm doing lunch and reading posts....
LaLa1923 10:39 AM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
Personally, I'd be livid if I was told I had to pay for the 4 weeks but could not bring my child.

Basically if the policy states she has to pay the 4 weeks, she should have the option to use those 4 weeks. If she chooses not to, that's her loss.

She told me she will not be bringing her daughter back, she does have the option to use those weeks.
MarinaVanessa 10:46 AM 04-24-2013
I agree with BC

If you want to require payment for the 4 weeks termination program then the option for the child to continue coming should be available to the parent. If the parent chooses not to bring the child then that is their choice and you can still require payment.

If you just want them gone as soon as possible you can then give the option to be released immediately without having to pay for the final 4 weeks. I don't feel it's fair or upholdable in court if you tell the parent not to come any longer and still except payment for the final 4 weeks.

Also keep in mind that in some courts if the parent chooses not to bring their child and still pay the 4 weeks period but you fill the spot before the clients 4 weeks are up you may need to refund them them for the remaining weeks. I've seen some situations similar but with roommates. One roommate wants to leave before the lease is up and doesn't pay rent, other roommate has to pay full rent for months until she finds another roommate, takes 1st roommate to court and judge only gives the money for the time that there was no roommate in place.
Cradle2crayons 10:52 AM 04-24-2013
If its in the contract it's a 4 week notice, and she's apparently already told you the kid isn't coming back,mother that's her choice..she stills needs to pay the four weeks... The choice to not return was hers not yours
LittleD 12:10 PM 04-24-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
If its in the contract it's a 4 week notice, and she's apparently already told you the kid isn't coming back,mother that's her choice..she stills needs to pay the four weeks... The choice to not return was hers not yours
This!
Remind her of the contract she signed, and that her final bill will be $xxx. (Unless she has prepaid the full amount-in which case just state the rest of this post) Mention that even though she said she won't be coming back, state she does have the option to continue care during this time frame and give her the hours she may drop off-pick up, also stating outside these hours she will not be able to drop off (as per your contract)
Reply Up