Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Safety Gate Sign
Pandaluver21 08:54 PM 05-11-2017
I'm struggling with how to word this...
I am making a sign to hang next to our gate, that says that only adults can open it. The gate leads to our driveway and parents let the kids open it and run out. They don't really touch it until parents come (because they know they're not actually allowed to... but of course those rules go out the window when parents come :P) I don't feel comfortable with kids running out in the driveway, and don't want my gate to get left open and our dog get out.
flying_babyb 09:30 PM 05-11-2017
Grownups come and grown ups go, but please dont free the kids YO!
I dont know, I have a simple note that says GROWN UPS ONLY on the gate to my classroom. Too bad I have parents who dont pay attention when there kids open the door leading out (and downstairs). Its a miracle no ones fallen!
racemom 04:31 AM 05-12-2017
For the safety of your child, please hold their hand when opening the gate and walking to your car.
Max 05:56 AM 05-12-2017
I'm going to need a sign too. I'll have the same setup as you mentioned, past the gate is my driveway. Except, 30 ft from the gate is a 50 mph county road. Parents are going to NEED to hold their child's hand.

Maybe something that says "Hand Holding Zone Beyond This Point"
Blackcat31 06:26 AM 05-12-2017
I have signs like this on all the doors and gates that lead to the outside. I printed the sign out in several sizes and laminated the big ones. I also printed out a few stickers (using sticker paper in my home printer) and stuck them right to the door knobs.

My kiddos view the sign (shape, size, color and the visual) kind of like those old school "Mr Yuck" stickers we used to get...

When I started using the signs/sticker, I sent a memo home with parents explaining that adults ONLY could touch, open or close the gates and doors leading outside the house and outside the property. I explained that it was for safety reasons and that I FULLY expect ALL parents to adhere to this rule as well as teach their child.

I also laid out consequences for not enforcing the rule. (hand to hand pass over of child, immediate departure from property) and if necessary termination from care.

I will NOT allow a parents lack of attention to safety rules ruin everything I've worked for.
Attached: Untitled.jpg (60.2 KB) 
Pandaluver21 09:59 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have signs like this on all the doors and gates that lead to the outside. I printed the sign out in several sizes and laminated the big ones. I also printed out a few stickers (using sticker paper in my home printer) and stuck them right to the door knobs.

My kiddos view the sign (shape, size, color and the visual) kind of like those old school "Mr Yuck" stickers we used to get...

When I started using the signs/sticker, I sent a memo home with parents explaining that adults ONLY could touch, open or close the gates and doors leading outside the house and outside the property. I explained that it was for safety reasons and that I FULLY expect ALL parents to adhere to this rule as well as teach their child.

I also laid out consequences for not enforcing the rule. (hand to hand pass over of child, immediate departure from property) and if necessary termination from care.

I will NOT allow a parents lack of attention to safety rules ruin everything I've worked for.
The sign I was making had a stop sign on it. We talk about it with the kids, and a good chunk of them won't open it even if parents tell them to. I like the idea of a parent consequence :P
Pandaluver21 10:00 AM 05-12-2017
How does this look?
Attached: Gate sign.png (68.9 KB) 
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
How does this look?
Perfect!
Tags:gates, safety items
Reply Up