Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Home's Temperature
Abigail 04:42 PM 12-17-2011
We've always lived in an apartment with free heat and a thermostat that didn't tell you the exact temperature because you either moved the dial slightly to the left to cool down or right to heat up. Now that we're in a house we have a digital themostat that tells us the exact degree. We have a bi-level home and it is cooler downstairs. For those who live where you still need the air on this time of year.....the following questions do NOT apply.

1. What temperature do you keep your home at?

2. What style of a home do you have?

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other?

4. What is the weather like outside these days?

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours?
mismatchedsocks 05:31 PM 12-17-2011
1. 67 (when my daughter, son, or we are downstairs we use a space heater. The upstairs is the my kids bedroom, they have many comforters and will run a space heater BEFORE bed then turn off when they go to bed.
2. 2 story with finished basement house from 1930's
3. yes, upstairs and downstairs are colder.
4. windy and chilly we can notice the most.
5. I don't change anymore. Legally it has to be 67 in house, and if i turn it down to 64 ir lower it will take alot longer to heat up in morning when I get up if its super cold or chilly. I am from Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold here.
laundrymom 07:42 PM 12-17-2011
Keep mine at 69-71 depending on wind. At night it goes to 66. If we are heating with furnace.

If we are using wood its usually 72-75.
SilverSabre25 07:50 PM 12-17-2011
1. In the winter, around 65-68ish. I don't trust our thermostat, but that's where it "looks" like it's set!

2. Bi-level, and the lower level is about half underground.

3. Hell yes. Downstairs is FREEZING at night, and about 5 degrees cooler during the day. It's all the heat rising straight up the stairs into the upper level, but I haven't figure out how to stop it yet.

4. Chilly. Low 30's/high 20's at night, high 30's/low 40's during the day.

5. Nah, too much trouble.
spud912 08:02 PM 12-17-2011
Answers in red below:

Originally Posted by Abigail:

1. What temperature do you keep your home at? 68 in the winter, 75 in the summer

2. What style of a home do you have? Single story

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? N/A, but there are differences depending on where you are in the house

4. What is the weather like outside these days? 50's during the day, 30's at night

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? No. I prefer to sleep when it is cooler than 68, but I don't want my children freezing at night.

Former Teacher 08:44 PM 12-17-2011
I live in TX but I am going to answer anyway because I love surveys!

Varies. During the summer the a/c is on 70. Winter its mainly completely off unless its super cold. Then I will put the heat on 68ish, or just enough to get the chill out. Right now as I type this the unit is completely off.

A large 1 bedroom apartment

Since it's all one level I do notice that the back half where the bedroom/bathroom/laundry area etc is, it is cooler

We have had a lot of rain, although we need more. Its been maybe 40s but its the wind that bites.

No, but I do turn on the bedroom fan. One of my rules in life: I'd rather be freezing cold than sweating hot
Lucy 09:52 PM 12-17-2011
My answers in blue.

1. What temperature do you keep your home at? 68-70

2. What style of a home do you have? 1100 sq ft ranch

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? n/a

4. What is the weather like outside these days? last week - 30 and clear, this week - 48 and foggy

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? Yes. I move it as I get hot or cold. 68-70 day, down to 63 overnight.

morgan24 04:19 AM 12-18-2011

One story 1360 square feet. Walk out basement with 700 square feet daycare space.

Basement is 5 to 10 degrees cooler.

I'm in MI, no snow yet, it's been staying around 30 to 35 during the day and getting down in the 20s at night.

I have geo-thermal heat and you aren't suppose to dial up or down with it in order for it to be efficient.
sharlan 07:52 AM 12-18-2011
We've always lived in an apartment with free heat and a thermostat that didn't tell you the exact temperature because you either moved the dial slightly to the left to cool down or right to heat up. Now that we're in a house we have a digital themostat that tells us the exact degree. We have a bi-level home and it is cooler downstairs. For those who live where you still need the air on this time of year.....the following questions do NOT apply.

During the winter, 65 - 70. During the summer, 85 - 90.

Two story.

My upstairs can be 10 - 20 degress warmer in the summer.

We've been in the high 50's, low 60's. Too cold for me.

I never run the heater at night and rarely run the AC at night.
I try not to use my heater or AC anymore than necessary.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 12-18-2011
We keep ours set at 65-70F

We have ranch style, 1800 sq ft single level home with in-floor heating....which is fabulous because my floors are always warm, especially the tile. Even the toilet seat is warm at all times...

We only have one level

It is a warm and sunny 18F today. A few flurries in the forecast so hoping for a white Christmas.

We can't really change our temp since we have in floor heat and it takes 3 days from the time we change the thermostat for the concrete to heat up or cool off so we just keep it one steady temp. We wear shorts and T's when it "feels" warmer in the house and grab a sweater if it feels chilly.

Summer time when it gets hot...we just stay on the lake!
KEG123 09:26 AM 12-18-2011
Winter we keep it at 68. It is definitely warmer upstairs than downstairs. On days I have all the kids (3+my2) then I turn the heat practically off during the day since their body heat helps keep things warm. During nap time I sometimes turn it on a bit if I notice it gets chilly. Right now, it's been unseasonably warm, staying in the 30's-40s during the day, probably 20-30 at night.
sahm1225 01:13 PM 12-18-2011
1. What temperature do you keep your home at? 66-68

2. What style of a home do you have? two story with a walk out basement

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? yes

4. What is the weather like outside these days? 30-40s

yes, we have a digital thermometer. We have a separate furnace for the 2nd floor (NOT used for daycare) and we set that at 60 during the day, 63 at night.
The 1st floor and basement are on another thermostat set at 66 during the day and 58 at night (it turns back on 20 minutes before I open and gets to 66) Daycare is in the basement - it's carpeted and with our body heat and running around 66 or 67 is very comfortable. If it's a really cold day outside, then we would raise it to 68.
Nellie 01:38 PM 12-18-2011

1. What temperature do you keep your home at?71 to 74

2. What style of a home do you have? One story 2000 square feet. It is only 4 years old. Do have an unfinished basement.

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? NA don't heat the basement much. Some parts of the house are colder. It feels warmer during daylight hours because of the sunshining in.

4. What is the weather like outside these days? 20 to 30 during day. Colder at night.

We turn it down to 68 to 70 at night.

We just got a wood burning outdoor boiler. Prior to this we had propaine forced air and a small indoor wood burning stove. The rooms around the stove were at about 74 and the other rooms were probable 68 to 70.
countrymom 03:28 PM 12-18-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
1. 67 (when my daughter, son, or we are downstairs we use a space heater. The upstairs is the my kids bedroom, they have many comforters and will run a space heater BEFORE bed then turn off when they go to bed.
5. I don't change anymore. Legally it has to be 67 in house, and if i turn it down to 64 ir lower it will take alot longer to heat up in morning when I get up if its super cold or chilly. I am from Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold here.
we must have the exact same house, my house is 98 yrs old this yr. I too run it at 67 degrees. The upstairs is warm, but I think its because we are slowly remodelling the house. Do you have green siding too?
PitterPatter 06:37 PM 12-18-2011
1. What temperature do you keep your home at? Winter 70ish, Summer not sure, window AC units.

2. What style of a home do you have? 2 story w/ full attic & full basement

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? Yes it gets cooler as I walk downstairs

4. What is the weather like outside these days? Cold brrrr rainy all week turned to snow flurries today.

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? If I am not too tired and forget, I try to bring it down to low 60's at night or if I will be gone all day.
mema 06:56 PM 12-18-2011
[quote=Abigail;178407]We've always lived in an apartment with free heat and a thermostat that didn't tell you the exact temperature because you either moved the dial slightly to the left to cool down or right to heat up. Now that we're in a house we have a digital themostat that tells us the exact degree. We have a bi-level home and it is cooler downstairs. For those who live where you still need the air on this time of year.....the following questions do NOT apply.

1. What temperature do you keep your home at? 66 during the day-sometimes if it's windy I up it to 68
2. What style of a home do you have? multi-level
3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? downstairs and basement are the coolest
4. What is the weather like outside these days? I'm in MN and it was 45 today and the snow we got Friday night is gone
5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours?I have a programmable thermostat and have it set to 63 for nights and to go back up before I get up in the morning![quote]

My answers are in pink-I think
Lianne 04:53 AM 12-19-2011
I live in a one level, 800sq ft house in Ontario, Canada. I have my thermostat set at 62 during the day and 60 at night. I like my house cool but comfortable. Visitors sometimes find my floors cool but are otherwise fine. At naptime, the two bedrooms have a small space heater going because the rooms get cool with the doors shut.
mismatchedsocks 05:09 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we must have the exact same house, my house is 98 yrs old this yr. I too run it at 67 degrees. The upstairs is warm, but I think its because we are slowly remodelling the house. Do you have green siding too?
nope blue siding here!
melissa ann 06:48 AM 12-19-2011
1. What temperature do you keep your home at? 67-69

2. What style of a home do you have? Single, 2 story w/full basement & attic

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? downstairs is cooler than upstairs

4. What is the weather like outside these days? sunny, 30-40's

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? No
Heidi 07:19 AM 12-19-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
pretty much just like Lilrugrats. I am in WI too. Only difference here is my house was builit in 2006, and has an open concept upstairs, with huge windows & vaulted cielings (and a loft). So, on a sunny day, the whole house furnace hardly kicks in. Great for heat bills, but if the upstairs thermostat is set at 67 or 68, it's usually 62-64 in the basement. We are mostly upstairs, except during nap, so that's when we use the space heater, and I have insulated curtains down there that I keep closed during the day.
Crazy8 09:52 AM 12-19-2011
My house is always cold in the winter, even with the heat running.

1. What temperature do you keep your home at? about 68-71

2. What style of a home do you have? large colonial with 2 story entry & family room, etc.

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? sometimes - usually upstairs is warmer.

4. What is the weather like outside these days? cold, 20's in morning going up to 40's later in day.

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? change it depending on how I feel, never above 70 at night or we end up sweating at 2am!!

Some days I long to work outside the home so I can lower my heat in the morning when I leave and not have it running all day. I don't think dc parents even think of how much more heat we need to use because their children are in our house all day.
kidkair 11:06 AM 12-19-2011
62 - 65 during daycare hours
two story with unfinished basement
yes. We have a blanket/curtain across the hallway upstairs purposely to keep the heat in the main level for the daycare so upstairs stays cooler and so does the basement.
20s to 30s
I have our thermostat programed to drop to 55 at night and start heating up to 62 at 4:30 in the morning which gets the house to 62 by 6:30am until the temps stay below zero then I have to reset it to start warming earlier.

We keep it colder than most people mainly to save money. By law the daycare has to be at 62 when children are here. I usually have the heat turn off and the house starts cooling at 4:30 which keeps it above 62 until past 6pm.
Zoe 11:13 AM 12-19-2011

1. What temperature do you keep your home at? 72, but we have a very energy efficient home where we can afford to keep it that warm.

2. What style of a home do you have? 100 year old 2 story home, about 2400 square feet.

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other?It's pretty even throughout the house, but again, our house was completely redone so that it is energy efficient. The windows are new, the insulation is very thick. The house we were in before was very inconsistent.

4. What is the weather like outside these days? Well it's frustratingly warm (almost 40). We had snow, it melted completely, then it snowed again, then melted the same day. Grrr. I want a white Christmas!

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? no, it stays at 72
My answers are in bold above.
MichellesKiddos 11:39 AM 12-19-2011
1. What temperature do you keep your home at? Usually around 71-74 (I'm extremely cold-blooded I swear! I can have two pairs of warm socks on, sweat pants, long-sleeved shirt and sweatshirt and STILL be cold

2. What style of a home do you have? Raised Ranch, upper level aprox. 1200 sq. feet, lower level in the process of being finished for the daycare (950 sq. feet)

3. Can you tell if one level of the home is cooler than the other? Definitely! The lower level is always at least 10 degrees colder, when they built the house they used the most inexpensive(but still up to code) insulation they could. So even though the house is only 1 1/2 yrs. old, we have space heaters running, put up plastic on the windows and use thermal curtains to retain the heat.

4. What is the weather like outside these days? I'm in Wisconsin, so usually cold. Although it's unusually warmer this year than typical, its about 34 degrees out here and windy.

5. Do you change your heat setting during the day or evening or night hours? Before I go to bed, I'll turn the heat down to about 69, and then turn it back up to 73 when I get up the next morning.
Tags:bi-level home, heat issues, temperature, thermostat, winter
Reply Up