Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Are you closed for MLK day?
Yes 18 30.00%
No 42 70.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Is Closed For MLK Day?
SunflowerMama 11:12 AM 01-03-2012
Who is going to be closed on the 16th for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day? I really need to learn how to create a poll .

Our schools are closed that day and I added it to my contract last year but just feel bad closing when we were just closed for a week between Christmas and New Years. Just wanted to see how many others are closed that day.
mismatchedsocks 11:12 AM 01-03-2012
Not me. School is in session here, so I am open!
SilverSabre25 11:14 AM 01-03-2012
voila! Poll added

As for MLK day, I'm open. I don't have a scheduled day off until Memorial Day
SunflowerMama 11:20 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
voila! Poll added

Yeah! Thanks for the poll!
Meeko 11:25 AM 01-03-2012
No MLK Day for me.

My next day off is the 27th of this month. We will be closed so I can spend the day at the hospital with my 17 year old. It's her "BIG" heart check up. Lots of tests etc. so we're always there for hours. I always close when she has these appointments each year. My family comes first. I "could" just get my husband to go with her, and keep the day care open... but I don't want to... we have always both gone and always will as long as she wants us to.

Nobody has ever complained about it and I wouldn't care if they did!
Cat Herder 11:32 AM 01-03-2012
Schools are closed, all of my parents are off work..... but I will be open and full. Just like last year.

Around here it is all about the HUGE MLK Day sales, street vendor's, Parades and Folk Art Festivals for adults. It rivals Black Friday in anticipation for major home purchases.

We will be reading "Martins Big Words", "Rosa" and "The story of Ruby Bridges.".
melissa ann 11:38 AM 01-03-2012
I'm open. My son has off from preschool, but I believe my daughter has school. My next day off isn't until Good Friday in April
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 01-03-2012
Only place closed around my neck of the woods on that day are the banks. All the schools and everything else are open for business.

My next day off isn't until Good Friday in April.... whew! that seems like a loooong ways away.
Unregistered 11:52 AM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
Who is going to be closed on the 16th for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day? I really need to learn how to create a poll .

Our schools are closed that day and I added it to my contract last year but just feel bad closing when we were just closed for a week between Christmas and New Years. Just wanted to see how many others are closed that day.
I AM because my daycare is closing on the 13th FOR GOOD I am having my forth child and will not be returning I have been doing it for 11 years and I am DONE.
Heidi 12:46 PM 01-03-2012
I just found out today that I am! lol...My mother of 4 let me know that she is off that day, so I will try to make arrangements for the last dck for the day so that I have it off...
Unregistered 12:51 PM 01-03-2012
I am closed for the first time, although I am going to watch 2 of the kids until 2. the other parents either dont work, or have a SA kid who will be watched by grandma anyway. I just wish MY kids weren't off!
3kidzmama 01:01 PM 01-03-2012
I'm open. Our banks and schools are closed, but nothing else is. I only have one parent that will be off that day, so I will be open. Our next day off is Good Friday in April.
CheekyChick 01:18 PM 01-03-2012
I do!!!

I also have off Washington's birthday next month.
snbauser 03:44 PM 01-03-2012
I'm closed. Last day off until Good Friday.
melskids 03:47 PM 01-03-2012
i'm open.....school is closed, so a house full of SA that day!!!
Lucy 07:37 PM 01-03-2012
Surprised that a few of you say your kids are in school on MLK day. I thought it was a national holiday. It's news to me that it isn't! It appears that the ones who said they are in school that day are northern states. Interesting.
Crazy8 07:45 PM 01-03-2012
schools are closed here but most non-federal employees still work so I will be open. Like someone else said, my next paid holiday is Memorial Day... a fact I keep in mind when I start to feel guilty for having 4 paid holidays for xmas & new years (except years like this where it fell on the weekend, I only took 2 days paid).
Christian Mother 07:52 PM 01-03-2012
I put I'm closed bc one of my families will be out of town and schools for us are closed that day. One of my families is also a teacher so her 2 little ones won't be here that leaves 2 other families...one is in retail but i think her hubby has that day off and the other normally has all the holidays off. I don't think I have anyone but I am going to ck with all the families just to make sure. I could use the money but I'd love to have a full days with my kiddos!!
daycare 07:52 PM 01-03-2012
I was going to open, but then I made a huge mistake and need to close now.

I am full and I accidentally overbooked on Monday, so in order to solve the problem, I decided to just close. This way I didnt have to pick which person I would have to ask to stay home.

This just happens to be one of my DCK last day and it also happens to be one of my new kids first day... If they were to all come, I would be in trouble, because I would be over my capacity.....
SilverSabre25 07:57 PM 01-03-2012
I think schools are closed (OH) but most businesses are not around here, so my parents all work, my DH works, etc.
momofboys 08:14 PM 01-03-2012
I'm closed - kids are off school (OH- IO!). They also have off the day after MLK day & I will be open that day & likely have a full house.
MyAngels 08:15 PM 01-03-2012
Schools are closed here (IL) but I am open as the majority of my families will be working that day.
DCMom 04:32 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Surprised that a few of you say your kids are in school on MLK day. I thought it was a national holiday. It's news to me that it isn't! It appears that the ones who said they are in school that day are northern states. Interesting.
Northern state (Minnesota) here and our schools are closed. I think our school districts set their own schedules.

I am open because the only businesses closed are banks and the government. My clients all have to work, so full house for me!
Kaddidle Care 04:38 AM 01-04-2012
We're not closed but I have off because I have a SA child and work during his school hours. Since there are a lot of children there with SA siblings, it should be fairly quiet unless the parents send them anyway to play.

We just had the week between Christmas and New Year's off plus the one extra day after New Years so the next day off isn't until President's Day.
melissa ann 05:37 AM 01-04-2012
I was mistaken. My dd also has off from school. I knew my ds didn't have preschool on MLK. I just checked dd's school website for the calender and seen it was a no school day. So here we go again with the SAers. Lord, help me
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Northern state (Minnesota) here and our schools are closed. I think our school districts set their own schedules.

I am open because the only businesses closed are banks and the government. My clients all have to work, so full house for me!
Also in MN and our schools are open. They do have the following Thursday and Friday off for a teachers workshop. I live in an area with three different school districts and all 3 are open.
MyAngels 06:23 AM 01-04-2012
I remember a few years ago the school district here decided to open for MLK day in favor of closing for Casimir Pulaski day. There must have been some push back, because it didn't last very long.
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I remember a few years ago the school district here decided to open for MLK day in favor of closing for Casimir Pulaski day. There must have been some push back, because it didn't last very long.
Forgive my ignorance but...what day???
DCMom 07:18 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Also in MN and our schools are open. They do have the following Thursday and Friday off for a teachers workshop. I live in an area with three different school districts and all 3 are open.
The two adjacent districts are closed also; but our district schools are closed every Monday this month for various reasons and the two adjacent districts are not. I have school-agers from all three districts and juggling the schedules can be a challenge!

That's what makes me think that the districts have some input in the closed days. At least in Minnesota?
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
The two adjacent districts are closed also; but our district schools are closed every Monday this month for various reasons and the two adjacent districts are not. I have school-agers from all three districts and juggling the schedules can be a challenge!

That's what makes me think that the districts have some input in the closed days. At least in Minnesota?
I agree because it is a rare day that ALL three districts have the same closings so I definitely think it is up to the individual districts.
lil angels 07:57 AM 01-04-2012
I am in minnesota to and my districts are closed mon and tues I am open let's see how that goes.
beachgrl 07:59 AM 01-04-2012
voila! Poll added

Same here, thought of taking a field trip to our local aquarium that day since its free that day and memorial day but i know it will prolly be crowded too and ill have to get all my stuff ready for that since i havent done one yet, my son would be hone from school though and could go as a helper so maybe..or maybe nxt year lol
MyAngels 08:29 AM 01-04-2012
Forgive my ignorance but...what day???
Oddly enough, that's exactly what we all said the first year the kids got it off from school .

From Wikipedia: Casimir Pulaski Day is a holiday observed in Illinois on the first Monday of every March in memory of Casimir Pulaski (March 6, 1745[1] – October 11, 1779), a Revolutionary War cavalry officer born in Poland as Kazimierz Pułaski. He is known for his contributions to the U.S. military in the American Revolution by training its soldiers and cavalry.
Lucy 06:39 PM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Who????? Never heard of him. They'll give a day off for him (whoever he is) but not Martin Luther King????

Again, I assumed MLK day was a nationwide school holiday. I know that it's a federal holiday for any other form of government, so why not schools? All the schools in our state and the states near us have it off. Maybe the blue states tend to have it off moreso than the red??? (we're a blue and so are the 2 near us who I know have it off too)

ETA: Duh... If I had read the post above me I would've seen the answer on who Pulaski was LOL. Ok, so no offense to anyone, but I reiterate my question of: "They'll give a day off for HIM, but not Martin Luther King????" I find that shameful. Sorry. I actually find it shameful that MLK Day is NOT a national school holiday. I'm shocked by that piece of news.
MamaBear 09:37 AM 01-05-2012
Who????? Never heard of him. They'll give a day off for him (whoever he is) but not Martin Luther King????

Again, I assumed MLK day was a nationwide school holiday. I know that it's a federal holiday for any other form of government, so why not schools? All the schools in our state and the states near us have it off. Maybe the blue states tend to have it off moreso than the red??? (we're a blue and so are the 2 near us who I know have it off too)

ETA: Duh... If I had read the post above me I would've seen the answer on who Pulaski was LOL. Ok, so no offense to anyone, but I reiterate my question of: "They'll give a day off for HIM, but not Martin Luther King????" I find that shameful. Sorry. I actually find it shameful that MLK Day is NOT a national school holiday. I'm shocked by that piece of news.
I totally agree Joyce. What a shame that not all schools are closed on MLK day. I'm closed that day and always have been.
Blackcat31 09:41 AM 01-05-2012

Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I totally agree Joyce. What a shame that not all schools are closed on MLK day. I'm closed that day and always have been.
I see your point ladies but IMPO, when we went to school on that day, the entire day was devoted to learning about MLK.

We always had some sort of educational guest speaker come in and the whole school had to attend this presentation as well as having him be the topic in our English, History and Social Studies classes so I kind of think learning about MLK while in school is just as respectful as having the day of as an observance of him...kwim?
Cat Herder 10:06 AM 01-05-2012

He is the "Father of the American Cavalry". He was pretty amazing. He only lived 35 years but managed to become a hero of the American Revolutionary War BEFORE even becoming a citizen . He saved George Washington's life and is a big, big, big deal to both the Polish and Military community.

I have been to the Monuments in Savannah, Georgia dedicated to him, that is where he died during The Battle Of Savannah in 1779.

(ROTC )

Sorry MyAngels, I did not see your post....
iheartkids 10:26 AM 01-05-2012
I am closed because schools are closed. I have a couple parents who acted annoyed by it and I'm not even taking it paid. When I explained that I'm having a "mother-daughter" day with DD then they softened a little bit. I hope they don't always expect my ONLY days off to be national holidays! I feel bad because at my old job I would take some school off days off from work so we could have a special day but since I've had a baby and I've started doing daycare she never gets a day just me and her anymore.
DaisyMamma 06:58 AM 01-06-2012
voila! Poll added

Same here
Tags:closed for the holidays, mlk
Reply Up