Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>GAD And Starting A Daycare
Unregistered 08:10 AM 04-11-2013
Hey there,

I am registered, but due to the topic I would rather stay logged out at this point Feel free to do the same.

My question is this:

We are starting a new in home daycare. I am diagnosed with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and am currently on medication for it. I am worried about the required physical exam, because I feel like there are only two options for me and both seem bad...

1. I tell the physician about my GAD and that it is under control.

He will either write down, that I am okay to open a daycare, but this info will be on file with the state forever. I don't know, who will have access to this and what kind of problems this might cause me in the near or distant future.

Or he will write down, that I should not open a daycare due to my GAD, in which case I will most likely be banned forever or at least a long time. AND the info will be on file.

2. I don't tell the physician about my GAD.

He will write down, that I am okay to open a daycare and it won't ever come out. But I will feel bad for lying.

Or he will write down, that I am okay to open a daycare, but some day it will come out and then I will probably not only lose my liscense but due to lying on my application etc. I will most likely get banned forever from re-applying...

So, as you see...it seems tricky. What do you think? What would you do? Who can access this information IF I openly disclose it? Any advice? Thanks so much!
ksmith 08:21 AM 04-11-2013
I would be upfront with the examining physician. Is it possible to go back to the doctor you were diagnosed by and see what their thoughts are on you opening. Maybe they can write a letter stating that you are being treated and they feel that you would be a good candidate? At least that way you may have a better idea of what to expect when you actually go in for the physical, and if it's even worth it to start the licensing process.
Evansmom 08:23 AM 04-11-2013
Isn't there a doctor/patient privilege? Check your HIPAA rights. I don't think that a doc can release specific info about you to anyone unless subpenaed. Maybe check with the doc who prescribes your meds for GAD? I have had anxiety disorders and I really can't believe that you would be excluded from teaching because of it. If so like half the population wouldn't be working if that were the case, it's very common.
Heidi 08:25 AM 04-11-2013
Are there any regs about this in your state?

I'm not sure that an anxiety disorder would disqualify you from being licensed.

If it doesn't, then I would guess you'd have to make sure you have a plan in place for coping with it if there were issues with your medication.

Edited to add:

Here is WI's health exam report. It only asks the physician to certify that the person is physically able to work with children.

http://dcf.wi.gov/forms/pdf/dcf_f_cfs0054.pdf

Check your state's form
Unregistered 08:39 AM 04-11-2013
Thanks for your replies guys

Here is, what it states on my form (I live in MD):

1) Restricted or requires special conditions due to having any of the following:

a) Communicable disease
b) Chronic medical condition or physical impairment
c) Vision/Hearing/Speech disorder
d) NERVOUS OR EMOTIONAL DISORDER (this is the one...)
e) Drog or Alcohol Abuse
f) Immunization Status

So yes, they specifically ask for NERVOUS or EMOTIONAL disorders...

I also will not be working at the daycare on my own, my husband is on board with this. Maybe we should ask the physician openly and if he thinks it might be a problem, put my husband as the main provider instead? We thought about this, but the plan is for him to only be there for a while as he has plans for his own career beyond this...I really wish it wasn't so difficult.

I have been diagnosed properly by a psychiatrist, not a general MD, so I wouldn't be able to get my physical from the same person
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 04-11-2013
I would think that honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

I also think that any medical disorder you have under control AND monitored by a physician or psychologist should not exclude you from obtaining a license.

I think that if your "stability" as a provider ever came into question, you could demonstrate control by the fact that you are honest about your condition, your willingness to work WITH a medical professional and the fact that it is easily treated with medications/therapy or whatever ways in which you do treat it.

HTH
Heidi 09:02 AM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would think that honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.

I also think that any medical disorder you have under control AND monitored by a physician or psychologist should not exclude you from obtaining a license.

I think that if your "stability" as a provider ever came into question, you could demonstrate control by the fact that you are honest about your condition, your willingness to work WITH a medical professional and the fact that it is easily treated with medications/therapy or whatever ways in which you do treat it.

HTH

daycarediva 09:08 AM 04-11-2013
I have an anxiety disorder and my physician is fully aware of it and still signed my physical form when I opened and every year since.

Mine is centered around specific thing though, which I can easily avoid in child care setting. I was in therapy for it for years, and no longer need therapy. I do take xanax when needed, but chose not to do so during my hours of operation.

How functional are you day to day? Do YOU anticipate the increased stress of daycare causing further anxiety attacks? Do you take medication for it? Since you aren't diagnosed by a physician, are you willing to get it professionally diagnosed to back up your claims of being a fit provider?

((((((((HUGS))))))))) I totally understand this. From the age of 12-18ish I would get so anxious that I would pass out. My mother went through a lot of testing because she thought I was faking or it was a medical condition (she swore I had a brain tumor, no joke) I am here to talk further if you want to privately as well.
bunnyslippers 10:37 AM 04-11-2013
I have an anxiety disorder, chronic depression issues, and a chronic autoimmune disorder that all require medication. My physician is well-aware of all of my medical issues, and still signed off on my form to open a childcare. I do not think a doctor can list your specific medical issues on the form, even if the license asks for it. It breaks confidentiality issues. I don't think you will have an issue. If your disorder is under control, you should not be restricted from working in a childcare.

I would absolutely be honest with your doctor, but I would probably not worry too much!
Starburst 11:04 AM 04-11-2013
I had depression as a teenager and due to a side effect from one medication its now more on the line of Anxiety (some minor OCD tendencies) than I had before still even after years of taking it (my aunt has had the same effect with a similar medication). Because of this I no longer take medications. But I find as long as I stay active (like walking regularly) or stay busy with work or school I actually tend to focus my anxieties more in the right place and I am less anxious about the little things. Having long-term (years) and short-term (less than a year) goals also help.

I have also been worried about if that would affect my ability to do daycare in the future but most of the time for bigger issues I just need a good cry, a little time to adjust (about a day at most), and I am good (its like going through the stages of grief in a few hours).
Unregistered 11:24 AM 04-11-2013
So, info about my GAD:

I function better, when I am busy and KNOW, that starting the daycare will benefit me, rather than being too stressful and making the GAD worse. The reason I got GAD in the first place was, that I was out of work, always alone at home, didn't have anything productive to do and have too much time to focus on my fears and worries - my psychiatrist absolutely agrees with this and completely supports the whole daycare idea.

I have worked with children for about 7 years before, so I am not new to this. I know, what I am doing and am not worried about making mistakes. I also know myself VERY well and would not even think about starting the daycare, if I wasn't absolutely sure, that I will be fine.

I am taking meds on a very low dosage for the GAD, just to make sure, that it stays in check. I have a 'take when need' emergency med ready at hand with me at all times, but have not needed it in a very long time, since being stable.

One question: I got diagnosed by a psychiatrist - is it necessary to get diagnosed by a general physician as well? This confuses me, as I always thought, getting a diagnosis for mental disorders from a mental healthcare professional would be the way to go. That's the whole reason I went to the guy in the first place! Since general physicians really don't have the knowledge to diagnose mental disorders properly, this really surprises me...?

Anyway. It seems like everyone here agrees on the fact, that I should be honest and open about my GAD with the examining physician. That's what I want to do anyway, as I am a very honest person...I have just had so many bad experiences with being honest to people in my life, that I am very concerned about it hurting my professional career! Makes me angry by the way...since I am a very functional, caring and intelligent human being.
Laurel 11:44 AM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So, info about my GAD:

I function better, when I am busy and KNOW, that starting the daycare will benefit me, rather than being too stressful and making the GAD worse. The reason I got GAD in the first place was, that I was out of work, always alone at home, didn't have anything productive to do and have too much time to focus on my fears and worries - my psychiatrist absolutely agrees with this and completely supports the whole daycare idea.

I have worked with children for about 7 years before, so I am not new to this. I know, what I am doing and am not worried about making mistakes. I also know myself VERY well and would not even think about starting the daycare, if I wasn't absolutely sure, that I will be fine.

I am taking meds on a very low dosage for the GAD, just to make sure, that it stays in check. I have a 'take when need' emergency med ready at hand with me at all times, but have not needed it in a very long time, since being stable.

One question: I got diagnosed by a psychiatrist - is it necessary to get diagnosed by a general physician as well? This confuses me, as I always thought, getting a diagnosis for mental disorders from a mental healthcare professional would be the way to go. That's the whole reason I went to the guy in the first place! Since general physicians really don't have the knowledge to diagnose mental disorders properly, this really surprises me...?

Anyway. It seems like everyone here agrees on the fact, that I should be honest and open about my GAD with the examining physician. That's what I want to do anyway, as I am a very honest person...I have just had so many bad experiences with being honest to people in my life, that I am very concerned about it hurting my professional career! Makes me angry by the way...since I am a very functional, caring and intelligent human being.
Psychiatrists are M.D.'s, right? Maybe you could get a statement from your psychiatrist that he feels you are able to open and give that to your regular doctor. Maybe, in that case, your regular doctor would go by his recommendation and just clear you for general health.

Just a thought....

Laurel
Mom&Provider 12:55 PM 04-11-2013
I would be honest also. It could spare you down the road if someone ever found out, not to mention it wouldn't be hanging over your head that you had not been honest and thus perhaps causing your GAD to be worse off.

I know it specifically says that they want to know about "Nervous or Emotional Disorder", but frankly lots and lots of people have diagnosed GAD and far more that perhaps don't since they don't want to admit it! I don't see this one as being a major issue, and I'd guess they are looking out more for those who have more severe emotional issues - IMO anyway. I'm no Dr so I can't say what the limits are, but like I said many suffer from GAD and it is something that can be controlled with medication and not something that would harm anyone, the same way other mental illnesses can. You also know yourself and your limits.

Can you not go to your own Dr. again to discuss this vs another Dr. you don't know? since your Dr already knows your history, he/she will also know how under control it is and how you function etc.
Unregistered 03:00 PM 04-11-2013
I have GAD and take daily meds, as well as buspar for more imminent/when unmanagable.

I have worked with kids since I was 16 and think this is somthing you dont need to m3ntion. Safe, medicated, well. But I am anti big govt and having to share every detail of everyhing seems more like north korea than usa to me. ; )
Starburst 11:26 PM 04-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So, info about my GAD:

Some people will be freaked out but those are usually close minded people whose kids you wouldn't want to watch anyway. My fiancé has told me before that I don't even have to work if I didn't want to but I keep telling him that I NEED to work and keep busy and have pressure or I go into spouts of depression and anxiety (and probably gain 100lbs from binge eating). I could never just be a stay-at-home mom without working; I need structure with pressure to keep me on my toes and keep me accountable. I was diagnosed by a psychologist, but my doctors saw it on my health charts (that's the only reason they put me on that bad medication- I wasn't even sad at the time).
Reply Up