Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Made Some Extra Money!
Kabob 07:19 AM 02-11-2014
For the first time, I actually stuck to my late pickup fee because for the first time a family was extremely late...one of my new families showed up 45 minutes late with no call.

They were doing really well with drop offs and pick ups. Dcm would drop off exactly on time and dcd was picking up early or on time. I had no worries until dcd didn't show up for pick up. 10 minutes passed and I started trying to call dcd then dcm and then emergency contacts. No answer.

Then dcd finally called back 30 minutes after his scheduled pick up time to tell me he was running late because he just got off work. Then dcm called back after that to say she just got off work and was freaking out because dcd hadn't picked up dcb yet. Dcd eventually showed up 45 minutes after his scheduled pick up time. He said he couldn't get off sooner since he got held up at work and so couldn't call until he got off work. I said, "sorry to hear that, but as per my policy, I require payment for the late pick up fee." He said sorry and that he almost got into an accident trying to get here sooner, but I told him that while I understand work and traffic can cause delays, I have to stick to the scheduled pick up time and hopefully next time he will have a back up plan to get here on time.

I never have had parents pick up so late past their pick up time! I was upset especially because I had planned some family time since I was supposed to be done early so I told dh that there's no way I'm waiving my late pick up fee even if it's their first time. Dh thought I charged too much for the fee since he reminded me how he sometimes gets held up at work for hours. But meh. My business and besides...ds was incredibly upset about having to wait past my closing time for "mommy time"...
CraftyMom 07:27 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
For the first time, I actually stuck to my late pickup fee because for the first time a family was extremely late...one of my new families showed up 45 minutes late with no call.

They were doing really well with drop offs and pick ups. Dcm would drop off exactly on time and dcd was picking up early or on time. I had no worries until dcd didn't show up for pick up. 10 minutes passed and I started trying to call dcd then dcm and then emergency contacts. No answer.

Then dcd finally called back 30 minutes after his scheduled pick up time to tell me he was running late because he just got off work. Then dcm called back after that to say she just got off work and was freaking out because dcd hadn't picked up dcb yet. Dcd eventually showed up 45 minutes after his scheduled pick up time. He said he couldn't get off sooner since he got held up at work and so couldn't call until he got off work. I said, "sorry to hear that, but as per my policy, I require payment for the late pick up fee." He said sorry and that he almost got into an accident trying to get here sooner, but I told him that while I understand work and traffic can cause delays, I have to stick to the scheduled pick up time and hopefully next time he will have a back up plan to get here on time.

I never have had parents pick up so late past their pick up time! I was upset especially because I had planned some family time since I was supposed to be done early so I told dh that there's no way I'm waiving my late pick up fee even if it's their first time. Dh thought I charged too much for the fee since he reminded me how he sometimes gets held up at work for hours. But meh. My business and besides...ds was incredibly upset about having to wait past my closing time for "mommy time"...
Good for you! That is waaaay late! Not even a text? Very inconsiderate for dcd to assume that since HE couldn't leave that YOU would take care of his child on YOUR time! A simple text goes a long way! I'm sure he could have told his boss, "I have to call my daycare provider" and would have been allowed to.
Kabob 09:30 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Good for you! That is waaaay late! Not even a text? Very inconsiderate for dcd to assume that since HE couldn't leave that YOU would take care of his child on YOUR time! A simple text goes a long way! I'm sure he could have told his boss, "I have to call my daycare provider" and would have been allowed to.
Yeah. The money and words were nice but it doesn't change the time I lost with my son. He really has a hard time if daycare kids are here longer than 10 hours.
Cat Herder 09:40 AM 02-11-2014
"Oh, I understand. I sometimes get held up late after work too, you know like when parents are late picking up. It stinks, but I get paid extra for it, you know, like you do, DH."
Cradle2crayons 09:43 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
"Oh, I understand. I sometimes get held up late after work too, you know like when parents are late picking up. It stinks, but I get paid extra for it, you know, like you do, DH."
love this response... And very true!!!!
MarinaVanessa 09:48 AM 02-11-2014
This is genius ... I'm going to remember this one forever .

I also made some extra money. I've only ever charged penalty fees to one other client (happened to be my first client ) and then on Monday I charged an extra $30 for late payment fees since fees were paid on late on Sunday instead of Friday at 6pm. Don't you just love it when parents try to wiggle their way out of fees?
melilley 09:55 AM 02-11-2014
This is great!
OP-good job sticking to your policy!
Kabob 09:56 AM 02-11-2014
This made me crack up. You know...if he works over 40 hours a week he gets overtime....so it makes sense we should get paid for extra time too.

He tried to make me feel guilty but the only one I felt bad for was my son. I'm such a meanie.
daycarediva 10:01 AM 02-11-2014
I only feel bad for you and your son, too.

Good backbone award!

I also would ask them to verify that the emergency contacts are correct and up to date. If that had been a TRUE emergency with dck, 45 minutes going by with no one there is WAY TOO LONG.
Kabob 10:17 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I only feel bad for you and your son, too.

Good backbone award!

I also would ask them to verify that the emergency contacts are correct and up to date. If that had been a TRUE emergency with dck, 45 minutes going by with no one there is WAY TOO LONG.
Good point. I'll have to bring that up.
TwinKristi 02:37 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
THIS!! Someone else recently complained about this but it was the family's last week so it didn't really effect her anymore. I find it truly scary for both parents to be unavailable AND not a single emergency contact available. Like she said, if there was a true emergency 30-45 mins is way too long. And if my employer told me I couldn't call someone (wife, provider) to make arrangements for my kids' pickup because I had to work late than I would have a serious problem as well.

Someone I know was away out of town for some reason and her husband was supposed to pick up their son from preschool but I guess he forgot. The grandma is often used as a backup but I guess she was out of town as well. Somehow someone got a hold of them and mom was able to call someone and get their son but they charge $1/min for late fees and they had to pay for HOURS of late fees!! Like seriously their whole months tuition in late fees. But they never forgot to get their son again! LOL I forget what happened to dad that he forgot and couldn't be reached but I was shocked when she told me.
Kabob 02:45 PM 02-11-2014
Well they picked up early today. And I told dcm that my inability to reach someone quickly concerned me because if he ever had an emergency then they would be in serious trouble if I couldn't reach someone. So, I have numbers that hopefully will land me a response sooner. In the past I would've let this go for fear of making them upset but now I noticed that it only made them follow my policy better. Hopefully this is just a one time mess up. I'm happy I learned so much here and am figuring out this business. (Knock on wood.)
TwinKristi 02:49 PM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Kabob:
Well they picked up early today. And I told dcm that my inability to reach someone quickly concerned me because if he ever had an emergency then they would be in serious trouble if I couldn't reach someone. So, I have numbers that hopefully will land me a response sooner. In the past I would've let this go for fear of making them upset but now I noticed that it only made them follow my policy better. Hopefully this is just a one time mess up. I'm happy I learned so much here and am figuring out this business. (Knock on wood.)

Tags:late pick up fee
Reply Up