Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone in MA or Nearby?
CraftyMom 04:29 PM 02-04-2014
Are there any providers in the MA area? There is an impending storm for tomorrow, ice, sleet, snow. They've already cancelled schools and city offices. I will close if the storm is what they say. Parents are already asking if Im open. I suggested they get their backup plans in place and I'll make a decision in the morning. Anyone closing, am I right to wait? I don't want to close prematurely and then the storm fizzles.
e.j. 04:44 PM 02-04-2014
I plan to be open for anyone who needs me to watch their kids. I never close for snow storms. I leave it up to the parents to decide if they want to chance it or not. So far, though, 3 out of 5 kids are not coming. I have one toddler and one school age child who may come. It's been over 15 years since I've had everyone cancel giving me a paid snow day. I feel like a kid again, just waiting for that phone to ring saying I can sleep in!
CraftyMom 06:24 PM 02-04-2014
I will not charge them if I close. In my experience if they are paying then they will be there! Last snowstorm I stayed open and one child came in the storm and the parents were home!
Tay 07:45 PM 02-04-2014
I live in New Britain, Connecticut and I am planning on staying open. I have 6 kids enrolled but out of those only 2 siblings are coming due to parents working in the health field. Good Luck and Stay warm!! I hope we don't lose power.
e.j. 08:52 PM 02-04-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
In my experience if they are paying then they will be there! Last snowstorm I stayed open and one child came in the storm and the parents were home!
Yeah, I've had parents tell me they want to get their "money's worth". I had one dcp years ago who was a teacher. We were expecting well over a foot of snow and school had been called off. At 6:45 am, there she was, knocking at my door. She had dug her car out of a 6' snow drift to get dcb to day care. Not the decision I would have made but....what can you do?
Second Home 04:47 AM 02-05-2014
I am in MD , and I did close today due to fact that I keep losing power and can't keep the heat on .If my home is not at least 65 degrees we are not allowed to open .
CraftyMom 07:04 AM 02-05-2014
I did close today, made the decision early this morning. Turns out none of my parents had to work due to the storm anyway
CraftyMom 07:05 AM 02-05-2014
I hope everyone stays safe and doesn't lose power!
e.j. 07:22 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I did close today, made the decision early this morning. Turns out none of my parents had to work due to the storm anyway
Enjoy your day off! I ended up with my snow day, too. I did have to get up early just in case a couple of families decided to drive in but they eventually did call to cancel. Oh well! Didn't get a chance to sleep in but I'll at least have the day to work on taxes and catching up on laundry.
CraftyMom 07:49 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Enjoy your day off! I ended up with my snow day, too. I did have to get up early just in case a couple of families decided to drive in but they eventually did call to cance. Oh well! Didn't get a chance to sleep in but I'll at least have the day to work on taxes and catching up on laundry.
I just said the same to my husband...I can work on my taxes!
DaisyMamma 08:05 AM 02-05-2014
I'm in CT.

I'm open. I have 3 kids and one kid showed up an hour after opening time. It made me rethink my policy....

They all knew it was going to storm. They probably knew they wouldn't be coming or would be late but didn't bother letting me know within a decent time. One kids mom emailed a half hour after his arrival to say they weren't coming. Another kids dad texted 2.5 hours after arrival time to cancel.

I still had to get up early, get ready AND go out and shovel before opening time. So essentially because of the storm I had to get ready early in order to shovel. It made me mad. I didn't need to do that all so early. I could have enjoyed my hour.
Play Care 08:09 AM 02-05-2014
I'm in upstate NY, a little north of Albany and close to the Vermont border We are just getting heavy snow, but the timing of it, the fact the governor is asking non essentials to stay off the roads, etc meant I closed with pay.

I know I've told this story a lot lately (sorry! ) but years ago I had the "I don't have to drive so I don't need snow days" mentality. And then I had a terrible experience during the Valentines Day nor'easter. I had one child dropped off and a half hour or so after she arrived she started throwing up. No one could come get her for SEVERAL hours. That was my light bulb moment. It's not enough for parents to get them here, they need to be able to pick them up in a TIMELY fashion. Emergency vehicles *need* to be able to get to my home. I don't close for minor snow days, it does have to meet certain criteria. I'm not going to leave it to the parents - they don't even begin to understand or appreciate the liability we take on when we care for kids.
This isn't a willy nilly "I don't feel like working" decision, because I take time off when I want/need. Sometimes being the boss means having to make unpopular decisions.
CraftyMom 08:11 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I'm in CT.

I'm open. I have 3 kids and one kid showed up an hour after opening time. It made me rethink my policy....

They all knew it was going to storm. They probably knew they wouldn't be coming or would be late but didn't bother letting me know within a decent time. One kids mom emailed a half hour after his arrival to say they weren't coming. Another kids dad texted 2.5 hours after arrival time to cancel.

I still had to get up early, get ready AND go out and shovel before opening time. So essentially because of the storm I had to get ready early in order to shovel. It made me mad. I didn't need to do that all so early. I could have enjoyed my hour.
I just changed my policy after the last snow storm I decided to close on snow days depending on how bad it is. One of the reasons is exactly what happened to you today Needing to get out early and shovel and keep the exits clear,
It's not worth it for the chance that someone could slip and possibly sue either.
DaisyMamma 10:43 AM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'm in upstate NY, a little north of Albany and close to the Vermont border We are just getting heavy snow, but the timing of it, the fact the governor is asking non essentials to stay off the roads, etc meant I closed with pay.

I know I've told this story a lot lately (sorry! ) but years ago I had the "I don't have to drive so I don't need snow days" mentality. And then I had a terrible experience during the Valentines Day nor'easter. I had one child dropped off and a half hour or so after she arrived she started throwing up. No one could come get her for SEVERAL hours. That was my light bulb moment. It's not enough for parents to get them here, they need to be able to pick them up in a TIMELY fashion. Emergency vehicles *need* to be able to get to my home. I don't close for minor snow days, it does have to meet certain criteria. I'm not going to leave it to the parents - they don't even begin to understand or appreciate the liability we take on when we care for kids.
This isn't a willy nilly "I don't feel like working" decision, because I take time off when I want/need. Sometimes being the boss means having to make unpopular decisions.
super gross.
Play Care 01:41 PM 02-05-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
super gross.
No kidding. And because the child was young and hadn't had a real tummy bug before she was freaking out. I physically had to hold her over the toilet or bucket because she had no idea what was happening. If I didn't, she vomited wherever she happened to be. I kept saying "I'm so sorry sweetie you have to do it in the bucket"

When I say it was the WORST experience of my dc career, I don't say it lightly.
Tags:massachusetts member, snowstorm
Reply Up