Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Words Get Twisted
Unregistered 10:06 AM 10-25-2017
Do you ever worry about something you say getting twisted around when the kids retell the story to their parents?

I haven't had any issues that I know of, but I did have a family a few years ago complain about their previous provider. Mom mentioned that the older kids were afraid to poop at the sitters, so if they act "odd" about BM's that's why. She said sitter said "my job is to watch kids, not wipe butts all day." I was speechless, got chills, brought tears to my eyes...those poor kids! Fast forward to a month later when a little one has a dirty diaper a few minutes before pick up, I comment, "what are you doing, you're supposed to save those for Dad!" in a joking, kid friendly, silly voice and big brother says "that's what Miss K use to say to us". My jaw hit the floor. I was totally kidding and the kids are probably going home and telling mom that baby can't poop here! It has made me a bit paranoid that what I say will get translated completely wrong!
DaveA 10:24 AM 10-25-2017
Oh yeah- I take anything kids say about home with a boatload of skepticism. And most parents know the same thing. I had a DCG tell her DCM my wife moved out because she came home, grabbed her gym bag, called a hotel to modify a reservation for her upcoming race, and left
Poptarts22 10:30 AM 10-25-2017
I don’t like shopping, so I keep a LARGE stockpile of food and such in my basement
I also drink root beer like nobody’s business-hence a mom repeating to me that her little one commented that Miss T drinks A LOT of beer. 🤣
Jupadia 10:54 AM 10-25-2017
I think most parents know to check in before they freek out.
I had one dkg tell me that "mommy and daddy tie her up all the time" what she ment was buckle her into her car seat.
Annalee 11:08 AM 10-25-2017
Through the years I have been asked several crazy things because if little Johnny or Susie said it it must be true......why I serve bologna every day, why we sing about monsters (monkeys jumping on the bed by the way, not monsters), why I don't let their kid go to the bathroom (like I like to clean up potty accidents),.......on and on and on......some people believe anything and the kids feed off of mommy and daddy listening and getting a reaction so they kid just keeps making up stuff...
MarinaVanessa 11:09 AM 10-25-2017
I would think parent's would know to talk to the provider first too. If they came in all arms ablaze whooping and hollering about how little Suzie told them some outrageously exaggerated version of something I had said I would just as fast show them the door. Unfortunately even though it's something silly and innocent can quickly turn into a liability.

Most parent's though know better and will ask about it and hear you out, then you can both get a good laugh about it

In your case, I'd bring it up to the parent before the kids do.
Max 11:17 AM 10-25-2017
Parents should know to ask but you could always mention it I suppose

My son told his preschool teacher last year “the people in my basement give me beer!”
Annalee 11:26 AM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I would think parent's would know to talk to the provider first too. If they came in all arms ablaze whooping and hollering about how little Suzie told them some outrageously exaggerated version of something I had said I would just as fast show them the door. Unfortunately even though it's something silly and innocent can quickly turn into a liability.

Most parent's though know better and will ask about it and hear you out, then you can both get a good laugh about it

In your case, I'd bring it up to the parent before the kids do.
Ten years ago, parents thought realistically but not anymore....i have showed some the door and have had laughs with some and moved on, but don't nothing surprise me that comes out of these parents' mouths anymore
Snowmom 11:37 AM 10-25-2017
A couple years back, one of my 4 year old's (Johnny) developed an annoying habit of asking me "what's for lunch" every day at 10:00 and continued to ask every 10 minutes UNTIL lunch.
One day, I made a light hearted joke when he asked "what's for lunch" and I said "Johnny Stew". He looooved that I said that and his sister freaked out worried that I was really going to cook her brother.

Apparently that night they went home and he told his mom to make "Jane stew" (the sister). It then progressed to "Johnny chicken fingers", "Jane Spaghetti"...you get the idea.

I still haven't lived that one down.

But I could see how that might look bad if a parent didn't have a sense of humor!

It's best not to take life so literal.
Poptarts22 11:40 AM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Ten years ago, parents thought realistically but not anymore....i have showed some the door and have had laughs with some and moved on, but don't nothing surprise me that comes out of these parents' mouths anymore

You are absolutely correct. Some parents these days think their kid is far to mature and smart to tell fibs-I had a parent recently question me as to why I don’t allow their child to drink when here. I had stopped their precious 4 year old from trying to fill her own cup from the refrigerator water dispenser-hence the accusation
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 02:33 PM 10-25-2017
My step-son's mom is this way, always has been. Most accusations were toward me during visits ("she locked me in my room for 3 days" when actually dad sent him to his room for mis-behaving. "She doesn't feed me" instead of step-mom doesn't make meals according to my whim and doesn't cook something new because I don't like what everyone else is having.... it got pretty outrageous) His mom is not my biggest fan, and he learned early on he could get a ton of attention from her if he gave her stories and she would believe EVERY detail (and add some of her own). It escalated to the point that he started telling these stories to anyone who would listen... a couple mandatory reporters at school later and we start getting calls and visits from CPS. After 3 different CPS interviews, spread out over a year we retained a lawyer and simply directed CPS there. We never heard from them again after that.

I am petrified I will have a dcm or dck like this. I've only been doing this a short while and already termed a dcg who started telling her parents that my husband was doing things like pushing her down when she got upset. Her parents knew what was up, but it only takes her telling her story to one teacher at school.
Mom2Two 02:35 PM 10-25-2017
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
I don’t like shopping, so I keep a LARGE stockpile of food and such in my basement
I also drink root beer like nobody’s business-hence a mom repeating to me that her little one commented that Miss T drinks A LOT of beer. 🤣

e.j. 03:27 PM 10-25-2017
I wouldn't say I worry about it but, based on the stories I hear about things that happen at home, I often wonder what's being said at home about our day care day.

I did have a parent come in one morning and ask me about the "drinking games" we were playing at day care. After thinking about it a minute, I realized they were referring to a "restaurant game" the kids loved to play. They would serve me pretend food or drink and I would pretend I didn't like it for some silly reason. "Oh, is that tea? Does it have sugar in it? Oh, I don't like sugar in my tea. Please get me a cup of tea with no sugar in it." "Is that my new cup of tea? Did you leave the sugar out? Well, I changed my mind. I do want sugar in it and a little bit of milk, too. Please bring it back and get me a new cup....."Does that tea have milk in it?? Ewww! I don't like milk in my tea! Bring me a new cup and...." We played that game every day and they never seemed to get tired of it. It never crossed my mind that one of them would go home and ask her parents to play "drinking games like we do at day care", though!
redmaple 07:09 PM 10-25-2017
lol, yes I've wondered about how things might get twisted.

My best so far was when a 3 year old little girl asked "Why (name of my husband) not wearing any pants?" I was baffled as he was not even there, had not been for a few weeks (and well tends to be dressed during daycare hours.)

"Ugh, he is not here." "On your computer, he not wearing any pants!" On my computer? Oh dear lord what is she talking about, and I'm soooo going to have some explaining to do with her parents. So I open my computer and she points "There!" Desktop background is my family picture. "Why (name of husband) not wearing any pants?" Then it clicks for me. At that time it was winter, but in the picture it was the 4rth of July "because it was summer then, AND HE IS WEARING SHORTS!"
Josiegirl 02:03 AM 10-26-2017
Some of these are pretty funny and cute, seen through the eyes and perception of an innocent child. But wow, the possible repercussions if a parent refused to believe or trust the provider.

One Valentine's Day party, we had read a Berenteins Bears book and in the book, they played Spin the Bottle. My brilliant mind thought 'let's play that game by turning it into a friendship game' and we'd shake hands instead of kissing. Well, a dcm came in the next day and asked what we played.
amberrose3dg 03:54 AM 10-26-2017
Yes parents these days. I have had a parent ask me why I starved her two kids one day over the summer. I let her 7 year old come as drop in one day. He didn't like what I was serving and thought he got unlimited access to my pantry like he does at home. She seriously accused me instead of asking me.Goodness your precious little snowflake wouldn't lie to you so you don't send him back since he doesn't get his way here.
MyAngels 03:40 PM 10-26-2017
I'm sure it happens more than I realize, but the only one I remember off hand was a little girl who told her mom every day that I pulled her hair. She was dead serious, so I knew she wasn't making something up. We puzzled over it for a few days until I finally realized that when I brushed her long, curly hair she felt like I was "pulling her hair." Fortunately her parents had confidence that I was not, in fact, pulling on their daughter's hair .
Tags:things kids say
Reply Up