Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Schoolagers This Summer
abigailrw5 05:27 PM 11-17-2011
I am debating on telling my family that I started with three years ago that they need to find someone else to watch their kids this Summer. I love them but they are 6 and soon to be 5 and a handful!!(a boy and girl that fight like crazy) I don't think I can take another Summer of that. The family is so nice I feel bad. I don't know how to tell them. I want to keep them during the school year though. I think I need to tell them they're too old for full time because they don't take a nap. Any suggestions?
Springdaze 06:43 PM 11-17-2011
I find that once they get to be school age, mine included, that they are just a little too "worldly" to be around the little ones. the disrupt what I am trying to do with the little ones, so I can see why you wouldnt want them. What if you just told them you were going to cut back in the summer?
nannyde 06:50 PM 11-17-2011
It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY TO EARLY to bring it up. See how you feel in April.
caring4kidsinSD 06:53 PM 11-17-2011
I only do school age summer care for siblings of kids who are regulars during the entire year(and most are kids I've had as babies so it's alway nice to see them again). And then only if I have room(they are all told that there may be days I won't have room because my regular kids get priority). I find that yes I don't always get my naptime break but this summer especially they were very helpful with my little ones when I needed another hand. What worked for me this summer also was I found 'crafty' things for them to do at naptime. It kept them busy and quiet while I got to chill and relax at naptime.

And if ratios aren't an issue for you, I would say tell them that the kids might be more content next summer with kids their own age as you don't have a lot of 'older' things for them to do to keep busy all summer long
Texasjeepgirl 07:17 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY TO EARLY to bring it up. See how you feel in April.
I respectfully disagree....

I have a young man that I have had in my daycare since he was 2..
I LOVE THIS KID... and have kept him school holidays.. and summers.... since he started school..
summer of 2009.. he was 7... I told his mom.. this is going to have to be his last summer with me.. she wanted to know why? I was as honest as I could be... he is JUST GETTING TOO OLD for my group .. I have babies... 2 and 3 year olds... He doesn't need a nap.. and I can't have a day with a child that doesn't rest.. I have to have that time..... but more than anything.. he needs more than I can give him...

Well. then mom has another baby.. sweet baby girl born in March of 2010..so.. of course.. even after telling her I wouldn't.. I went ahead and kept him that summer.. since baby sis was here with me..
LONGEST.. HARDEST SUMMER EVER!!!! And don't misunderstand me.. I think this kid is awesome..I've always loved him...enjoyed him.. but...
oh my word.. he wore me OUT that summer...
I just flat out told her that was it.. I couldn't keep him anymore..
too old to be here...
baby sister is 20 months now.. and I adore her.. she is an angel..
and I still see older brother every morning.. and every afternoon... drop off and pick up... but.. I don't keep him anymore...
I think if you love this family.. love these kids.. you need to tell the family now.. or soon.. so they can have time to make decisions about where these kids will go next summer.. Don't RUIN any last feelings of love you have for these kids by keeping them.. and letting them run you nuts...

abigailrw5 07:46 PM 11-17-2011
Thanks everyone. Texasjeepgirl I agree totally. I have made my decision forsure about not keeping them this Summer and think I will tell her in February. I'm afraid she will be upset but I think she will understand. They have done so much for me and referred people to me. I just want to explain it in a nice way.
Meyou 03:10 AM 11-18-2011
I would tell her nice and early since she's a longtime client. I've let go of several school age kids in the past few years because they just didn't work with the group anymore. I let them know at the start of the school year since I didn't want them to call me for inservice days or vacations assuming I would be carrying on as usual.

I had a pair two summers ago that I had watched on vacation and summers for years (family friends) that I HAD to let go at the end of the summer. I have active outdoors kids, they have sedentary, video game/tv kids so it just didn't work. They literally fought tooth and nail everytime we had to go outside (several times per day). They wanted to sit in my basement and watch tv for an entire summer. They were 6 and 9. The 6 year old would bring movies like 27 dresses to watch.
MyAngels 12:08 AM 11-19-2011
I always tell the families who want to continue bringing their children that have aged out back that my program is geared toward children under 5 years old and that I don't have the resources to keep older children for more than a day here and there.

I would definitely give plenty of notice. Around here it's extremely difficult to find care for school aged kids during the summer.
Tags:schoolage - summer care
Reply Up