Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Know I'm Not Being Unfair... But, How Do I Make This Parent Understand...
youretooloud 07:46 AM 01-26-2012
First, I appreciate that he called me to ask first.

Usually, I am pretty good about taking the kids when they are slightly sick, and can still play and have fun. Even if they need Motrin.

I take it on a case by case basis.

But, I WON'T take a sick drop in kid. The drop ins are not my first priority, my full timers are.

Dad called and said "#3 just isn't acting right and has a goopy eye.... can I still bring her, she doesn't have a fever". So, I said "No.. sorry.. I can't risk Baby girl's health, since she just got over Whooping cough". The dad said "I thought you tried to keep the kids even when they are sick?" I said, "I do it for my full time kids, because they are together all the time anyway... but, #3 hasn't been here in two weeks, and nobody has already been exposed to this".

He was understanding, but clearly disappointed. I know how bad he needs to go on this job interview, and I WANT him to go, It's not like I don't care. I just can't get everybody else sick for a part timer.

ANd, honestly, Since dad has been a stay at home dad for well over a year, Mom has enough sick time, that she could take a day off and stay home. So, I don't feel THAT bad.

But, how can I word this to the parents. I'll do it for my full time, full paying kids, but not for a kid I see every couple of weeks. Without sounding like it's all about the money.
Breezy 07:51 AM 01-26-2012
Not sure about the wording but you are totally right its not your problem. He should have a back up and maybe even a backup for his back up!
littlemissmuffet 07:58 AM 01-26-2012
First of all, you shouldn't take sick kids period if you don't want this situation to keep happening.

Second of all, I would be livid if my provider told me that she would take a sick full-timer but not a sick part-timer. Though as a provider I understand your logic, as a parent I wouldn't.

I would just say "I take kids when they have mild common cold symptoms, but I certainly do not take in children with more serious contagious illnesses... goopey eyes indicate infection and can be extremely contagious - you should take her to the doctor!"
familyschoolcare 07:58 AM 01-26-2012
Op-- make it about what the daycare has already been exposed to. Do not mention the word money or fulltime.

I do try to keep children that are a little sick if they have already exposed the daycare anyway.
Daycaremomof2 07:59 AM 01-26-2012
"I am really sorry, but it is not fair to the other children and families to expose them to another illness knowlingly, especially since **** just got over whooping cough. a goopy eye could be pink-eye- have you had it checked out by a doctor? It is very contageous."

I think you said it pretty well- anyone with half a brain should be able to understand the situation. Just reiterate that you are a "well childcare" provider.

I don't know how you do drop in
Angelwings36 08:01 AM 01-26-2012
This is a really difficult situation and does come off as a bit unfair to me. What I would hear as the drop in parent is that it's ok for you to expose my child to other children's illnesses but you will not allow my child to come in to care ill because you do not want to expose the other children in your care to his/her illness. Do you understand what I mean here?

I really do understand where you are coming from and would feel the same way as you if I were trying to implement an illness policy such as yours. However, to avoid future conflict over the issue my advice would be to decide either:

a) Not to take part time/drop in clients.

b) To allow all ill children into your care regardless of attendance.

c) To be a "well" daycare only.
youretooloud 08:05 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
First of all, you shouldn't take sick kids period if you don't want this situation to keep happening.

Second of all, I would be livid if my provider told me that she would take a sick full-timer but not a sick part-timer. Though as a provider I understand your logic, as a parent I wouldn't.

I would just say "I take kids when they have mild common cold symptoms, but I certainly do not take in children with more serious contagious illnesses... goopey eyes indicate infection and can be extremely contagious - you should take her to the doctor!"
I take sick kids, because the parents are teachers, and can't always just stay home. One is a nursing student, and can't miss at all.

It's something i've always done, and as I say, it's a case by case basis. The parents call me to ask, and we make the call based on their symptoms. 99% of my parents would not bring me a really sick, or miserable kid unless it was very important.

But, for a child who shows up every three weeks is not my first priority. I don't want to expose the whole group to an illness that they weren't exposed to already. If she'd been here for the last four days, I might say" Lets give it a try, but, I might call you and have you pick her up. "

It's not about the money... if it were, I'd have taken her today, because I get paid by these kids no matter what, but I only get paid for her when she's here.
youretooloud 08:11 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by Daycaremomof2:

I don't know how you do drop in

She's easy because she's BFFs with one of the girls here, and they play together at their homes. So, they act like they haven't seen each other in months even though they were together just the night before.
Angelwings36 08:11 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I take sick kids, because the parents are teachers, and can't always just stay home. One is a nursing student, and can't miss at all.

It's something i've always done, and as I say, it's a case by case basis. The parents call me to ask, and we make the call based on their symptoms. 99% of my parents would not bring me a really sick, or miserable kid unless it was very important.

But, for a child who shows up every three weeks is not my first priority. I don't want to expose the whole group to an illness that they weren't exposed to already. If she'd been here for the last four days, I might say" Lets give it a try, but, I might call you and have you pick her up. "

It's not about the money... if it were, I'd have taken her today, because I get paid by these kids no matter what, but I only get paid for her when she's here.
I totally understand where you are coming from. But the poster is right you really need to make things "fair" all the way around or you need to present your daycare in a manner that parents realize all the way around that you do care for sick children. What the parent is seeing here is that although you said you care for sick children, you won't take his. It doesn't matter to him if he comes once a month or everyday, you have pretty much told him your rules don't apply to him. If I was the parent, please don't take this harshly, but it is blunt truth I would terminate care with you and find another daycare that was fair to everyone all the way around.

On that note, I do not feel what you do for "some" of your parents is wrong, I just feel that it is unfair for one family to get special and the other to not. Know what I mean?
JenNJ 08:50 AM 01-26-2012
Common mistake - you overexplained. What you choose to do in your business is YOUR BUSINESS. Stop explaining the whys to clients. For drop in family, "I can't watch sally if her eye is goopy. Well kids only." Ft. Family, "Oh Mikey has that cough today. Its ok, bring him in."
Provider_Manda 11:34 AM 01-26-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:

What she said
Tags:illness policy
Reply Up