Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom-Question From Another Thread
Country Kids 09:12 AM 04-25-2013
Not sure Tom if you can read other areas (Parent/Guardian) area but if you are able could you answer the questions from the thread-Termination Due to Transportation Without Permission?

Some of the questions-

Can a provider transport if the parent has checked off the no box?

Is the contract voided if the provider has done the above?

Would the provider still be able to collect if she transported without permission and parent pulls the child without notice?

If you are able to answer these-thank you so much! I believe it will help alot of providers to know the exact law in cases like this.

Thank you!
Willow 10:29 AM 04-25-2013
To give the whole story:

Provider was up front about it being a priority for her to go to all of her sons baseball games during the initial interview.

Provider offered two options, have child(ren) picked up early on those occasions or they go with her.

Parent signed on for care regardless but indicated she didn't want provider transporting.

Provider notified a parent that there would be a game the next day.

Parent dropped the child off the next day anyway and left them there until it was time for provider to leave so provider took the child with her.

Parent called licensing and licensing said provider did nothing wrong as far as regulations go. Parent doesn't want to bring child back regardless and doesn't want to pay the termination expenses outlined in the original contract.
TomCopeland 08:53 AM 04-26-2013
The provider violated her agreement with the parent by transporting the child against the express wishes of the parent. What should the provider have done? Called the parent. Called other persons on the authorized list to pick up the child. If this failed, called child protection/police as a last resort.

Rather than call child protection or the police, the provider could have stayed home and waited for the parent. Yes, she misses the ball game, but her primary consideration should be the child. It seems to me a situation where the provider needed to have made better plans with the parent as to what would happen if the parent didn't pick up on time. This could involve identifying a number of other people who could be called to pick up the child in this situation. Or it could be made clear to the parent that the provider would call child protection if the parent didn't fulfill her agreement to pick up the child. Calling the police without a heads up is probably an extreme reaction if the parent doesn't have a warning about it.

I can understand the parent being angry in this situation because the provider went against her express wishes. If this went to court, I think the parent would probably win. If I was the provider I wouldn't try to collect money owed under the contract as this would make the parent even more angry. Angry parents are more likely to spread bad word of mouth. I would let this go and plan ahead more carefully the next time around.
kelliott 09:45 AM 04-26-2013
thank you! very helpful..Willow should take notes from this post..advice without the negativity..
Willow 09:59 AM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by kelliott:
thank you! very helpful..Willow should take notes from this post..advice without the negativity..

It's so weird that you think posting FACT without the added drama is "negativity."

But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Best of luck finding a provider!
Unregistered 10:29 AM 04-26-2013
Originally Posted by kelliott:

Your way of addressing your issues could've had a provider calling Child Protection on you... you're the one that need to take some notes.
Tags:contract - broken, tom copeland
Reply Up