Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:15 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,581
Default Snack Questions?

Recently I attended a Waldorf training and the speaker stated they serve the same snack each day to help children build rhythm in her program.... i.e. the children know each Wednesday is Veggie Soup, etc.

What are your thoughts on repeating the same menu on a weekly basis?

(My dcks bring lunch from home so this would only impact AM snack)

Also if the dcks go home at 3:00pm (here 8:30-3:00pm) would you serve them an afternoon snack? I'm on the fence..... it seems after nap they should have a snack but it is often wasted or they still have plenty of lunch they could finish.... thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:44 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGarden View Post
Recently I attended a Waldorf training and the speaker stated they serve the same snack each day to help children build rhythm in her program.... i.e. the children know each Wednesday is Veggie Soup, etc.

What are your thoughts on repeating the same menu on a weekly basis?

(My dcks bring lunch from home so this would only impact AM snack)

Also if the dcks go home at 3:00pm (here 8:30-3:00pm) would you serve them an afternoon snack? I'm on the fence..... it seems after nap they should have a snack but it is often wasted or they still have plenty of lunch they could finish.... thoughts?
I have seen members on there state they do similar. Here We arenít supposed to repeat meals more than once in a month... I forget the exact wording but itís said in some form or another in our licensing. I deff donít exactly follow this as Iím not going to serve a certain snack and leave the leftovers get stale and go to waste bc we arenít supposed to see it again for a month

As for your other question what time do you have them eat their lunches?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 16,826
Default

All my meals and snacks are on a rotating schedule.
Sometimes it's the same every two weeks and sometimes the rotation is longer...depends on the group of kids I have.

Last year, my rotation was every 2 weeks.
This year it's every week with small variations as this group of kids isn't as open and willing to try new things as the previous group.

I do agree that routine such as that helps the children learn and in the same way as a daily routine for activities helps them feel secure and safe, I imagine the same concept applies to meals and snacks.

I have one little one right now that stresses to mom everyday on the way to care "What if I don't like what we are eating today or won't want to try it?"

Mom said it's the same convo every day...which is ironically weird because this little one eats SUPER good and never has issues with anything new but that conversation came to mind when I read your post.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:55 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
I have seen members on there state they do similar. Here We arenít supposed to repeat meals more than once in a month... I forget the exact wording but itís said in some form or another in our licensing. I deff donít exactly follow this as Iím not going to serve a certain snack and leave the leftovers get stale and go to waste bc we arenít supposed to see it again for a month

As for your other question what time do you have them eat their lunches?
I do think the food program has rules/guidelines about repeating meals but I am not on the food program... I will double check licensing.

We have:
9:30 Morning Snack
12:00 - 12:30PM Lunch
12:30-2:30PM Nap
3:00PM Pick Up

(Mondays lunch and nap tend to fall 30 minutes earlier because the group is overtired)

I can do snack after lunch which would mean less play time and less time to mess up the place right before leaving but it is also a busy time getting everyone on the potty after nap, all diapers changed, packed up and ready.... so I am torn.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I do agree that routine such as that helps the children learn and in the same way as a daily routine for activities helps them feel secure and safe, I imagine the same concept applies to meals and snacks.
The speaker said while most young children do not comprehend the day of the week or which day they go to preschool they do remember their "soup day" or "yoga day" etc. and that is provides a security in that way...

I have been doing a monthly menu.... and rhythm for the children has not been factored. I thought it was a neat concept and could still leave some room for variety as veggie soup would have veggies based on what is seasonal, fruit would also have to change based on the seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2018, 03:39 PM
CityGarden's Avatar
CityGarden CityGarden is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: The Happiest Place on Earth
Posts: 1,581
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post

I have one little one right now that stresses to mom everyday on the way to care "What if I don't like what we are eating today or won't want to try it?"

Mom said it's the same convo every day...which is ironically weird because this little one eats SUPER good and never has issues with anything new but that conversation came to mind when I read your post.
This is so cute. I have a little foodie in my bunch who is very similar.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2018, 05:04 PM
storybookending's Avatar
storybookending storybookending is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGarden View Post
I do think the food program has rules/guidelines about repeating meals but I am not on the food program... I will double check licensing.
Ah yes you are correct that may have been something I read in the food program information rather than licensing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-10-2018, 02:16 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storybookending View Post
Ah yes you are correct that may have been something I read in the food program information rather than licensing
My food program doesnít care. Not repeating meals is a suggestion, but they donít expect us to waste food either.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2018, 03:01 AM
alyssahenderson's Avatar
alyssahenderson alyssahenderson is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 25
Default

I don't have issues repeating menu as long as it is always healthy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
snacks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AM Snack vs Breakfast? CityGarden Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 06-13-2017 10:53 AM
Regulations on Kinds of Questions & How Often We Ask for Advice irishrose New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! 3 07-29-2015 12:14 PM
Question About Meal And Snack Deductions AcornMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-16-2013 02:59 PM
I Feel Like I Am On Jeopardy With All These Questions... blandino Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 05-15-2013 04:00 PM
Stupid Questions? ABCDaycareMN Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 05-09-2013 03:47 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:28 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming