Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby/New Baby in Family
Msdunny 06:29 AM 03-07-2019
So I have pretty much made the decision to not take any kiddos younger than 1. I do have a mom who is due this summer. They are a great family and only come 3 days/week, so this will be the only exception I may consider.

My question is, how do you all handle maternity leave? The dog will stay home with mom during this time - she is a very hands on mom, which is one reason I love them. But I can’t afford to lose income for 2-3 months. Any ideas are appreciated.

And...if I decide to not take the baby, has anyone had a parent bring an older child and make different arrangements for the baby for the year? I’m sure this is a stretch.
Cat Herder 06:31 AM 03-07-2019
She would have to pay full rate to stay enrolled here, she would also be paying full rate to hold new baby's slot now, here.

I have never had a client stay after I turned them down for the new infants slot. They tend to keep them together until one is off to school.
rosieteddy 06:38 AM 03-07-2019
I found that parents would bring the older child while on maternity leave.I did not give them a choice to hold the spot.I explained that the older child benefited to the same schedule as before the baby.I took no less money especially for part time.I did suggest late drop off 9am and early pickup 4pm.That way baby gets the mom to themselves.Never had a parent refuse.If you do not take the infant be prepared to loose both.You could say this is your last infant and as its only 3 days a week keep them.I would not offer any discounts you may even want to charge a little more for parttime infant.
Jupadia 06:42 AM 03-07-2019
I dont save spots for mat leave cause here it's a year for leave (for most) so most parents are not willing to pay for that time. I would charge full rate if they did deside to pay. As for siblings I have taken them part time in past, till I fill the spot, (I try not to do pt kids). I do let parents know that I can connect them if I know of an opening I may have for around the time they are due back.
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 03-07-2019
I don't hold spots. Parents can either send or keep the older child home. Up to them but they pay either way.

As for the baby, I only enroll infants 6 months and up and only from currently enrolled families so they all bring baby elsewhere until age appropriate to begin here.

Parents pay for the infant's space the day it's open and available not when they begin to use it.

Maternity leave, a new baby and multiple kids is the parent situation to manage not mine so I refuse to lose income due to that.

I understand not wanting to lose a family but it goes both ways IMHO. If they love you/appreciate your program then they'll be more than willing to pay to keep it.
LittleExplorers 07:14 AM 03-07-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't hold spots. Parents can either send or keep the older child home. Up to them but they pay either way.

I understand not wanting to lose a family but it goes both ways IMHO. If they love you/appreciate your program then they'll be more than willing to pay to keep it.

Ariana 10:14 AM 03-07-2019
Agree with everyone else. If child stays home during mat leave I comsider that disinrolling from my program.
Tags:new baby
Reply Up