View Poll Results: Hubby/children supportive of childcare in the home
Very Supportive 40 66.67%
Supportive but wish there was another way 17 28.33%
Not happy with childcare in the home but keep going 2 3.33%
shutting down and getting it over with 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Husband/Kids Support Childcare In The Home
Country Kids 01:56 PM 03-14-2013
With reading the closing down thread it seems like everyones family is pretty excited about the childcare being no more in the home. I always wonder if there is a cut off point in doing childcare for the sake of the family (children/hubby). Do you wait till they get to school age, a little older (middle school), high school, or just make it a career?

So my question is:

How supportive is your family in having a childcare in the home?
Unregistered 02:03 PM 03-14-2013
They were at first and now have been wanting me to stop. It's only been 11 months but things around here have been crazy since I started. If I continued on my fiancé would have supported me but I knew deep inside he was begging me to stop. Also my kids are so excited they could cry (6&7) they have missed me being more available and not stuck inside!
Willow 02:04 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
With reading the closing down thread it seems like everyones family is pretty excited about the childcare being no more in the home. I always wonder if there is a cut off point in doing childcare for the sake of the family (children/hubby). Do you wait till they get to school age, a little older (middle school), high school, or just make it a career?

So my question is:

How supportive is your family in having a childcare in the home?

My husband and I have pretty traditional views on gender roles. I love staying home regardless of what work I do while I'm here or how old the kids are and he appreciates my feelings on that.

He and the kids have been incredibly supportive. They may not love every aspect of what I do but they are respectful because they know it makes me happy and allows me to be there for all of them the way I like to.

The additional income definitely affords us more luxuries in life. It will probably end up being my lifelong career unless I find something more lucrative to do in our home.

For us it truly is a win win for everyone
mrsnj 02:12 PM 03-14-2013
Well I don't think my family would be highly upset if there were no more children in the house. Maybe my youngest as she would miss her friends. BUT my oldest and my husband understand it is good pay and my options of working outside are unrealistic. So....with every job there is always good and bad I figure. You have to weight the pros and cons. When the cons become longer, it might be time to look elsewhere.
AnneCordelia 02:17 PM 03-14-2013
My family is very supportive. They like having me here during the day. This job facilitates our lifestyle and they can't argue with that.

I do things to keep my family happy:
I have a dedicated daycare space so they don't feel daycare invades on their space.
I don't consider my children part of my daycare...they are free to come and go.
I close at 5pm. 10 hours is a long enough day for us. I did longer days and it was harder on all of us.
I don't do daycare on the weekends if I can help it. No paperwork, no dck bday parties. Its family only.
earlystart 02:20 PM 03-14-2013
My husband is supportive because it means I can stay home and watch our 1.5 year old son while he also gets a preschool experience. I can imagine that changing once our son is in public school, and I may change things around when it gets to that point, and only do daycare part time and work outside of the home part time, or something.
Lyss 02:20 PM 03-14-2013
If varies for me, sometimes DH is super supportive and other times not so much. He doesn't complain or say negative things about it but develops a bit of an attitude with me on DC subjects when he's upset.

Usually the lack of support comes out when his schedule at work changes and he's got days off in the week. When he can't sleep in til 10 because the DCKs are loud he gets grumpy and says he wishes we had a different house or I didn't have the kids. But on the other hand he gets waaaayyy more time to work in the shop/garage when he's off work on DC days than he does if its a day we have together because we try to do family things. He also usually apologizes for snippy comments later because he realizes that this DC pays a lot of our expenses and allows us to do fun things together that we wouldn't be able to if I wasn't doing it.

For DD I think she would be ok with no kids but she enjoys her buddies (well all but one that is)!
ABCDaycareMN 03:46 PM 03-14-2013
My son(6) every morning asks "you you do daycare today?" Me- Yes! Son - "Woohoo"
jessrlee 05:58 PM 03-14-2013
My family is amazing about the daycare. I'm weird- I actually started when dd was in 1st grade. I actually just asked her how she feels due to the closing posts. She says she is fine . She figures I would have to work anyway, at least this way she has a yummy snack waiting for her lol! Hubs is awesome about it 90% of the time. The other 10% he is doing extra maintenance or sick due to a dope and drop

To help my family out I have my daycare space in out walk out basement, I keep the upstairs sacred, and I try to fix any problems that crop up. I also think my family likes the homemade food I have time for
Sugar Magnolia 06:19 PM 03-14-2013
I answered "very supportive" because my husband is my partner in our center, and its a separate building, not in our home. THAT is a huge plus for our family.
juliebug 07:14 PM 03-14-2013
very supportive, he takes our kids to school. and will help watch the dck every time i have an appointment. It does help that i have a seprate area for the child care in the home. i do use the bedroom at nap time but that is it. My kids are fine with it, most of the time. Sometimes they want to be left alone but i let them know they can always get away to their rooms.
Starburst 11:27 PM 03-14-2013
My boyfriend (future husband) supports me having a daycare and sometimes even tries to offer some ideas. But there are somethings we disagree on that I tell him we will not be able to have in the house or I would rather not have or what we would need to do if we did have it because of the daycare (such as guns and pools) but he supports me because he likes the idea that I will be home to watch our future kids when they are younger and we won't have to pay for daycare for me to work out of the home. He told me if I wanted to I wouldn't even have to work but I need the pressure and the stress to stay on task or else my house would most likely look like an episode of hoarders (though it might get that way anyway ). Plus I need to keep busy or I will go crazy.
Play Care 02:54 AM 03-15-2013
My husband and kids are very supportive - BUT my hours are set, my day care is full, and I make a very good salary (and then add legitimate tax deductions to that and we come out way ahead). For my kids, I keep a couple of their school aged friends so it has worked like a built in play date. They get bored when if I'm on a vacation and we are home. I have been very blessed that things have worked out so well - I can easily see where this career could cause resentment if things did not.
laundrymom 05:04 AM 03-15-2013
Husband is not only supportive, he's my biggest fan. He is proud that I am a local small business owner. It's more than a daycare for us, it's my 'American Dream.'

And with his support, I can do anything. ;-)
just_peachy 06:00 AM 03-15-2013
My husband is very supportive, but he doesn't have a lot of patience for kids that aren't his own. There are times I will TELL him to grab our kids and go take a walk or something, just to get him away from the DCKs. He's not mean, but you can sense his agitation and it stresses me out.

At first he was a lot more hesitant. I started the daycare because he was in sales and his numbers were dropping. We NEEDED to make more money. Then kids kind of just fell into my lap, so, daycare it was. I think it took him a while to get used to not supporting the family on his own. I think he held a lot of guilt for a while, and possibly resentment that he subconsciously took out on the daycare.

Now because I don't have an excuse to sit on my bum all day every day reading or playing video games (I know it's awful, but I seem to be inherently lazy) the house is almost always clean, the laundry is ALWAYS caught up, (there's 5 of us!) homemade dinner is on the table almost 7 nights a week, I make him breakfast and pack his lunches...

The daycare has made me more ambitious and organized and energetic out of necessity, I take care of myself and the house better so that I can "work" in a pleasant environment, and he is VERY supportive of that.

Plus, he knows the importance of pitching in a lot more now too, so somehow, even though our situation isn't ideal, (small house, long daycare hours, some annoying parents,) our relationship is better now than ever!!

My kids LOVE the daycare kids, so no problems there. But they've known them all since birth which helps!
lolaland 06:30 AM 03-15-2013
In order to be absolutely honest in this poll I would have to be able to vote 2 times: My family was/is extremely supportive but my daycare business is taking a huge toll in every aspect of our personal lives! We all can't wait to get it over!!
williams2008 06:58 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by lolaland:
In order to be absolutely honest in this poll I would have to be able to vote 2 times: My family was/is extremely supportive but my daycare business is taking a huge toll in every aspect of our personal lives! We all can't wait to get it over!!
My husband and family was/is very supportive as well. They are even more supportive that I have decided to move the daycare to another location so we can have our house/privacy back!!!
snbauser 07:13 AM 03-15-2013
I think it is mixed. My family is very supportive of what I do. They understand that there are a lot of rules/regulations that I have to follow and are generally pretty good about it. I did close down for a short time and initially everyone was excited about getting the house back. But in reality it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. They really enjoyed having the house to themselves, not worrying about all the rules of what they could and couldn't do when kids were here, having to be careful with what they left where, etc. But I was leaving the house most morning by 6am and not getting home until 6or 6:30pm. I wasn't here for my kids, dinner was usually rushed, and I only saw my kids for about 2 hours a day. I was tired and stressed, more than when I was working from home. I tried to find something else that had decent hours but I could not find anything that would allow me to make what I make now. So I just recently reopened. I revamped my program so that I will have less kids (5 vs 12) so that I don't need to take back over the entire downstairs. I have about 1/2 dedicated and we share a little of the family room. But in the evenings we still have our family room downstairs that we can all be together and relax together. I also am following our local school calendar for the most part so that most of the time when my kids are off from school I am closed. My husband is good about understanding that I can't do it all and is the one who takes my kids to school and knows that if they get sick he has to go get them and bring them home. He is also good about taking them to appointments. So they are good with it being here, and very supportive, cooperative, and understanding. But if there was a way I didn't have to do this, they would be even happier.
Brooksie 10:31 AM 03-15-2013
I'm a single mom so there is no support. lol I make it work with what I have to do! There was a big adjustment period for my daughter but she has made great strides and is now bummed on the weekends and evenings when the kids arent there.
mom2many 11:12 AM 03-15-2013
My husband is very supportive and proud of the fact that I've had a successful business for 26+ years. He is thankful for the money I have made working from home and that I was able to contribute significantly to our family's finances, so that we could do many things that we otherwise could not afford.

Now that he is retired and actively helps me, he knows first hand how much work this job can be & appreciates what I have done even more! He has his "man cave" that he can escape to now and then for time alone & peace & quiet!

My 3 kids grew up not knowing anything different and never complained or expressed resentment for sharing toys or their home. Their bedrooms were off limit to dcks, so they had their own space and special toys they could enjoy by themselves. They understood and appreciated the benefits of me working from home.

It's always been a positive thing and I'm grateful for that!
just_peachy 11:22 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
My husband is very supportive and proud of the fact that I've had a successful business for 26+ years. He is thankful for the money I have made working from home and that I was able to contribute significantly to our family's finances, so that we could do many things that we otherwise could not afford.

Now that he is retired and actively helps me, he knows first hand how much work this job can be & appreciates what I have done even more! He has his "man cave" that he can escape to now and then for time alone & peace & quiet!

My 3 kids grew up not knowing anything different and never complained or expressed resentment for sharing toys or their home. Their bedrooms were off limit to dcks, so they had their own space and special toys they could enjoy by themselves. They understood and appreciated the benefits of me working from home.

It's always been a positive thing and I'm grateful for that!
That's my dream future!
Tags:children, family, husband, support
Reply Up