Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Play Based Childcare Questions
slpender 10:44 AM 11-06-2013
for those of you that are play based do you still have a set routine for the day? Do you have circle time story time ? I am moving more and more towards play based i'm just trying to figure out a good routine for the day.

I am leaning towards the outline in the creative curriculum books for Family childcare.
thetoddlerwhisper 10:47 AM 11-06-2013
i am play based and we have a short circle time (15min or 20min tops right before lunch and practice our alphabet counting etc
Blackcat31 10:47 AM 11-06-2013
Yes, I still have certain routines and schedules but they are pretty loose and flexible.

I also use Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care.

My meals and snacks are at the same time every day.

Nap/rest time is the same every day too.

Morning is reserved for small group play whereas afternoons are reserved for large group play.

We still have morning discussion (circle time sort of) and outside time.

How long those activities lasts is dependent on the behavior and interests of the kids.

HTH
Brooksie 10:49 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
for those of you that are play based do you still have a set routine for the day? Do you have circle time story time ? I am moving more and more towards play based i'm just trying to figure out a good routine for the day.

I am leaning towards the outline in the creative curriculum books for Family childcare.
I use the creative curriculum! Love it. We are mostly play based learning. We do have circle time and story time before nap but read throughout the day. We do some group activities as well but most of our day is spent learning through play. We also do a lot of SEFEL and social problem solving.
melilley 10:59 AM 11-06-2013
I am play based. We do have a 10-15 minute circle time where we do have a theme of the week and talk about it, we also have a letter, color, and shape of the week and talk about those. We also read, sing, talk about the weather and the day of the week. It sounds like a lot, but really isn't and it lasts as long as the kids allow. I have one 3 yo and the rest are 2 and under so they don't have a long attention span. Also, if they leave circle they still hear what's going on. I have a child who always leaves circle and his mom asked one day what we count to and she said he was doing it at home. I thought he wasn't ever listening to circle activities!

I do have a schedule, but I have found that it changes a lot, depending on what's going on.

My meal/snack and nap times are always the same (within a half an hour).
I do do art at the same time in the am, but it's a choice.
Other than that, it's free play with things like sensory activities included.
Oh and outside play is 2 times a day around the same time.

I'm interested in learning about the Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care! I'll have to look into it!
Lucy 11:10 AM 11-06-2013
Play based here, but we still have to do stuff at pretty much the same time so I can get kids to/from school.

I have 2 PM kindergartenders and 1 each of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade.

Arrivals from 7:00 to 7:45

Breakfast 8:00, then play

Big kids head out walking to school (2 blocks) at 8:40

2 Kindergarten girls play - sometimes we go to the library for a portion of this 3 hrs, sometimes to my mom's for a bit, or we'll go to the park in nice weather.

K girls eat lunch at 11:30

Drive K's to school at 12:15

NO KIDS TILL 3:30 (yeah me! but I'm only doing it this school year. For next Sept. I'll have youngers from 9-3 hopefully)

All 5 walk here after school 3:30

Snack right away when they get here

Play till pickups

Pickups from 4:15 to 5:30. They play or do homework if needed. (I will help if asked, but nothing elaborate.)

Fairly loose, but still "on time" when we need to be.
slpender 11:18 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
I use the creative curriculum! Love it. We are mostly play based learning. We do have circle time and story time before nap but read throughout the day. We do some group activities as well but most of our day is spent learning through play. We also do a lot of SEFEL and social problem solving.
What are you doing for circle time are you doing calendar weather or are you doing songs stories and finger plays I have a vey mixed group and finding it hard for circle time and story time 2- 3yrs, 1 -2yr, 1- 1yr, 1=11 mnths, 1 3 mnths

the 2 yr just sit will not take part in any curcle time or movement activity. the 1 yr just wonders and the 11 mnth wants to climb all over everyone . 3 yr olds are not problem.
Brooksie 11:23 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
What are you doing for circle time are you doing calendar weather or are you doing songs stories and finger plays I have a vey mixed group and finding it hard for circle time and story time 2- 3yrs, 1 -2yr, 1- 1yr, 1=11 mnths, 1 3 mnths

the 2 yr just sit will not take part in any curcle time or movement activity. the 1 yr just wonders and the 11 mnth wants to climb all over everyone . 3 yr olds are not problem.
I have a 12 mo, 18 mo, and two 3 years old. Honestly I didn't even bother before I had any one over 2.5, although my 18 mo old LOVES when we sing out morning songs. I made a circle time board and the big girls like helping me put the things up.. let me see if I can find a picture.....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Circle time can run longer or shorter depending on the interest. We try to at least cover the basics and introduce any themes we may have going. Right now its E is for Emergency and we are practicing dialing 911 and discussing what an emergency is. Throughout the day we apply that into our play. Dr kits, taking turns getting sick and someone has to go get the phone. We also live right down the street from a hospital and all ambulances go past our house so the girls stop and watch the ambulance... just stuff like that
MsLaura529 11:29 AM 11-06-2013
Circle time can run longer or shorter depending on the interest. We try to at least cover the basics and introduce any themes we may have going. Right now its E is for Emergency and we are practicing dialing 911 and discussing what an emergency is. Throughout the day we apply that into our play. Dr kits, taking turns getting sick and someone has to go get the phone. We also live right down the street from a hospital and all ambulances go past our house so the girls stop and watch the ambulance... just stuff like that
DO you mind if I steal your ideas? I am on E week as well, and all we've been doing is elephants and eggs. I have had a major brain fart on this letter, haha.
Brooksie 11:30 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
DO you mind if I steal your ideas? I am on E week as well, and all we've been doing is elephants and eggs. I have had a major brain fart on this letter, haha.
Go for it!

Next week is F for Fire safety! Great opportunity to perfect our fire drills.
melilley 11:30 AM 11-06-2013
I have a 12 mo, 18 mo, and two 3 years old. Honestly I didn't even bother before I had any one over 2.5, although my 18 mo old LOVES when we sing out morning songs. I made a circle time board and the big girls like helping me put the things up.. let me see if I can find a picture.....

I love your circle time board! I only have a cheap board that has the month, day and day of the week that I had to laminate myself! And for the weather, we simply look out the window and that's it...lol
Brooksie 11:34 AM 11-06-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I love your circle time board! I only have a cheap board that has the month, day and day of the week that I had to laminate myself! And for the weather, we simply look out the window and that's it...lol
Thanks! I made it! One of those thick foam poster board presentation things and printables from this site http://cassieandcompany.blogspot.com...rcle-time.html

Thank you Pinterest! Obviously I did mine a bit differently but I love it!
slpender 11:34 AM 11-06-2013

I love the board where did you find the today tomorrow yesterday printable?
melilley 11:38 AM 11-06-2013
Thanks! I made it! One of those thick foam poster board presentation things and printables from this site http://cassieandcompany.blogspot.com...rcle-time.html

Thank you Pinterest! Obviously I did mine a bit differently but I love it!
Awesome!
Reply Up