Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>What To Do
lovemykidstoo 06:55 AM 10-11-2012
I just found out this morning that one of my existing dcm's is pregnant. I'm thrilled for her. The problem is I have a different family starting in January sometime with a new infant. I'm trying to work the numbers, but I don't think I'll be able to take both. So the problem is, I really want to keep the existing family because I really like them, not to mention that it's all year with 2 kids and the other family is a teacher so only teacher working months and only 1 child. What to do?
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 10-11-2012
Do you know for sure the existing DCM will want to bring her child?

Did you take a deposit or holding fee for the other family?
lovemykidstoo 07:08 AM 10-11-2012
Yes, I asked the existing dcm this morning when she told me she was pregnant if she was planning on still coming. She said yes. She is due in April, so I would get her baby in July. She said that she would still send the dcb that I have currently for most of the time when she's off on maternity, but of course pay for him no matter if he was here or not. I did not take a deposit from the other family. I know them because she used to be my sons teacher. I kinda figure this is really not something I could have planned for and that I should probably keep the existing, but don't want the other family to be upset either. UGH!
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 10-11-2012
I would just tell the other family that an existing family is now looking to fill the space and that current families obviously have priority.

Since she didn't pay a holding fee or any type of deposit, she can't really expect that the space was 100% guaranteed. Plus, giving her notice now, gives her plenty of time to find alternate care arrangements.

I really wouldn't give it a second thought, and I wouldn't feel badly about it. Business is business and we all gotta do what we gotta do.

I would tell the other family as soon as possible though. Keep it short and truthful. Current family will now be needing the space, sorry for any inconvenience, good luck in your search, sorry things didn't work out, have a nice day, daycare provider.... (I can help with wording if you need)
lovemykidstoo 07:21 AM 10-11-2012
The other thing is if I do the numbers and it is possible for me to take the 2 babies at the same time I don't usually like to do that because it's just me here and to have 2 babies at the same time with 4 other kids might be alot.
Blackcat31 07:23 AM 10-11-2012
I have 2 babies here with 9 other kids.

My babies are 2 months and 7 months. My other kids are all 2-5 yrs.

If that is a possibility, I would absolutely consider it. Atleast work your trial period and see if both babies are doable. I mean if they are easy babies, then having two IMPO, isn't that tough.
lovemykidstoo 07:27 AM 10-11-2012
I have to check the numbers because I have 3 right now that are under 18 months. I have to write down their schedules and see if I'm allowed to have the 2 babies. I don't know how it is in your state, but here you can have 4 under the age of 30 months, with 2 out of those 4 under 18 months. I just have not had good luck with babies. I usually get the screamers LOL!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 10-11-2012
I have had a 50-50 mix of good ones and high-needs ones. The last one I had was SUPER high needs and almost drove me to the nut house....LOL! I swore I would never do it again.

So far my two babies are pretty easy going and are on great schedules but I have a feeling one of them might not stay long as mom is a college student and thinking of dropping to part time and I don't offer part time care.

Here we can have 3 under age 2 but of those 3 only two of them can be under 12 months old. I have 10 under school age kids and one 5 yr old who was Kindergarten eligible but parents opted not to send giving me 11 total.

If I want to add an additional child under 2 years old, I have to have a second adult helper/assistant.

If I were in your shoes and the numbers work out, I would definitely give it a shot but I would make it very clear to both moms that if either baby required more care than normal or turns out to have high needs, that you won't be able to do it in fairness to the other kids you have in care. In that case, I would hope it was the teacher family that would get notice.

Either way, I guess I wouldn't make any permanent decisions until you know for sure your capacity limits and what the babies will be like...kwim?
lovemykidstoo 07:56 AM 10-11-2012
After writing these posts and talking with you, I am certain that I will keep the existing family and see if it's possible to take the other. I haven't worked the numbers yet, will have to do that later when the kids are napping so I can actually think LOL! Just thinking that the new baby from the new family will come in January. The other baby from the existing family won't come until the end of July so that gives me some time to adjust to that baby. Then maybe if it's tough with the new baby in July, I could always not take the teachers baby in the summer. That way they would be older in the fall and maybe not such high maintenance (maybe)!! Alot to think about. Have to work the numbers first of all and also see which ones I will be losing in the fall due to school.
familyschoolcare 12:46 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
After writing these posts and talking with you, I am certain that I will keep the existing family and see if it's possible to take the other. I haven't worked the numbers yet, will have to do that later when the kids are napping so I can actually think LOL! Just thinking that the new baby from the new family will come in January. The other baby from the existing family won't come until the end of July so that gives me some time to adjust to that baby. Then maybe if it's tough with the new baby in July, I could always not take the teachers baby in the summer. That way they would be older in the fall and maybe not such high maintenance (maybe)!! Alot to think about. Have to work the numbers first of all and also see which ones I will be losing in the fall due to school.
That is exactly what I was going to suggest
sunlight 02:21 PM 10-11-2012
What states are you ladies in? Are you Registered or Certified? Just curious.
lovemykidstoo 03:29 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by sunlight:
What states are you ladies in? Are you Registered or Certified? Just curious.
I'm a licensed in-home family daycare in Michigan.
youretooloud 03:33 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
The other thing is if I do the numbers and it is possible for me to take the 2 babies at the same time I don't usually like to do that because it's just me here and to have 2 babies at the same time with 4 other kids might be alot.

Won't they be about 10 months apart in age? Plus, the one is not even starting until about the same time the January baby is going to be gone for the whole summer.

I think that would be pretty doable.
lovemykidstoo 03:44 PM 10-11-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Won't they be about 10 months apart in age? Plus, the one is not even starting until about the same time the January baby is going to be gone for the whole summer.

I think that would be pretty doable.
They will be 6 months apart. The one is due the first of November and the other is due in April. The timing is definately a consideration. The teachers baby is supposed to come 2 days a week during the school year and 1 day a week in the summer. I have to sit down and figure out if I have room to accept both of them. It wouldn't be half bad though to have the teachers baby take the whole summer off and come back in the fall.
cheerfuldom 07:06 PM 10-11-2012
I would do first baby come, first serve, so start the November baby. IF april baby's mom asks, let her know that you dont currently have a spot open but will let her know asap if something changes. then see how Nov baby works out. if they dont work out, then you have an instant replacement. base the decision on what is best right now, you can always change it down the road but I absolutely would not hold spots when I could have them filled immediately
lovemykidstoo 04:32 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would do first baby come, first serve, so start the November baby. IF april baby's mom asks, let her know that you dont currently have a spot open but will let her know asap if something changes. then see how Nov baby works out. if they dont work out, then you have an instant replacement. base the decision on what is best right now, you can always change it down the road but I absolutely would not hold spots when I could have them filled immediately
The thing is, I already have the dcb right now of the April baby mom. So, if I don't take them I would be switching a 2 spot family for a 1 spot family.
lovemykidstoo 06:19 PM 10-15-2012
Update, talked with the mom that her baby was supposed to start in January and told her about the existing family that is expecting their 2nd child. We agreed that I will take her baby in January and since she's a teacher, she will only need care until the 2nd week in June. Then she's good until the fall. That will work because I can take her baby for those months and then the new baby in July. Then maybe something will happen where I will have room in the fall, if not then she will look for alternate care.

Now my other issue is I have a family that has a revolving schedule. I am open 4 days a week and they need 3 days a week, but it can change and they give me the schedule 8 weeks at a time. I agreed to that as long as they guaranteed me 3 days out of 4 a week whether he came or not. Well, the problem now is with the baby that is coming in July, I will be over on Tuesdays if the other family comes. The thing is the revolving child does not always come on Tuesdays. I am going to have to tell the revolving family that I cannot take him on Tuesdays anymore. I don't do contracts, it's just something we agreed to at the time I signed them up. They do have grandparents that can probably pick up a day too if they need Tuesdays. What are your thoughts.
Reply Up